All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 20-05-2009, 12:57 PM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Nokia 5800 wins as 'Best multimedia smartphone'

Issue 88 of the (newly renamed) Smartphone & PDA Essentials magazine (in the UK) has a seven page feature group test on 'Best multimedia smartphones', looking at all aspects of music, image, video and camera, plus the relevant interfaces and controls. In addition to the Nokia 5800 XpressMusic, the other contestants were the Blackberry Storm, the Samsung Tocco Ultra and the T-Mobile G1. Rather curiously, the Apple iPhone was absent, and it was doubtless written too early to look at the Samsung i8910 (Omnia HD) - in their absence, the Nokia 5800 swept all before it with an overall rating of 9/10. Photo below.

Read on in the full article.

Old 20-05-2009, 01:10 PM
Sunmeister

Exclamation This is..

ridiculous! Where is any HTC touch device or Samsung OMnia for that matter????? Sounds like they wanted the 5800 to win at any costs and chose the others for just the 'purpose'

Old 20-05-2009, 01:23 PM
Unregistered

Having lived with a 5800 for a while, I have to agree. There is nothing else that as an overall package, all things considered, suits me better than a 5800. It has been designed as a popular phone with value for money that will please the majority of people.

Old 20-05-2009, 01:44 PM
Mattcc

It is odd that the iPhone was not considered in the running.. anyone have any insight to why?
Ads

Old 20-05-2009, 01:54 PM
nickfd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattcc View Post
It is odd that the iPhone was not considered in the running.. anyone have any insight to why?
Maybe cause the iphone isn't a smartphone? It doesn't have multitasking, can't have threaded programs, can't even make videos or transmit mms's. It's a crippled crap-phone.

Old 20-05-2009, 02:13 PM
Unregistered

Test sponsored by Nokia.

Old 20-05-2009, 02:41 PM

khalidraffali is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

i moved from my serious E90 to the 5800 because i wanted a 'fun' multimedia centric phone. it didn't disappoint.

and thanks to the excellent how to's and guide ya'll been publishing, utilising the 5800 to the fullest becomes a cinch. thanks.

Old 20-05-2009, 02:54 PM
Unregistered

You got nothing to do with it. Yeah right, you Nokia mouth pieces have no shame.

Old 20-05-2009, 02:55 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Test sponsored by Nokia.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered
You got nothing to do with it. Yeah right, you Nokia mouth pieces have no shame.
The above commenters hired by Apple has no shame. Their internet was probably Apple sponsored.

Old 20-05-2009, 03:23 PM

Arthur is on a distinguished road
The 5800 as a 'Best multimedia smartphone'?

What a joke.

Old 20-05-2009, 03:54 PM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
@Arthur: Not a joke. The 5800's actually a pretty good all rounder (with v20+ firmware). Its only weak points are gaming and photo/video capture indoors.

Old 20-05-2009, 03:59 PM

lookatbowen is on a distinguished road
To answer Mattcc on the iPhone query... the Iphone is not a smartphone, and this is probably the reason it did not feature. Of all the smartphones out there today, the iphone is not even close in features.

I use to have the N95, and now have the 5800XM and feature wise, the 5800 is about the same (with one exception - the camera). The camera is rubbish, but for everything else the 5800 is a perfect all rounder phone.

Whether it deserves to be the best smartphone, I would probably disagree, but then it depends on when they did the test.

Old 20-05-2009, 04:28 PM

Mojo Fones is on a distinguished road
I don't recall seeing much iPhone in that mag, if any, and I've read a lot of issues. I have to agree that it's not a smartphone and is probably why the mag has little to do with it.

Old 20-05-2009, 04:41 PM
Unregistered

Much as I'm pro Nokia and agree with all iPhone criticisms, as a mobile industry consultant and software developer I have to correct those who think the iPhone is not a smartphone. The sole reliable definition of "smartphone" (an almost meaningless term these days in any case) is a phone that allows 3rd party programs to be written for and run on it's NATIVE operating system. If you use any other metric you can quickly find an alledgedly "non smart" phone that fulfills the metric and thus invalidates it as a smartphone test. The iPhone does fulfill this sole smartphone criteria.

Old 20-05-2009, 04:49 PM
Super Moderator

Raven is on a distinguished road
Of course the iPhone is a smartphone. Any phone that can have native third party applications installed is considered a 'smartphone'.

EDIT: Oops, Unregistered above ^^ beat me to it
"The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully." -Emerson

Last edited by Raven; 20-05-2009 at 04:52 PM.