All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 21-02-2010, 08:09 AM

nottmbantam is on a distinguished road
Headless Chicken?

So, this morning, with one bar remaining of battery power, connected the phone to the mains and started charging it. Got my usual text message from a service I subscribe to - and then the phone went a bit 'funny'.

Got a message saying the sim memory was full. I thought that was odd, as the messages are stored on the E drive, and AFAIK, the number of contacts I have on the sim card are not full anyway.

THen the phone stopped responding. Touch screen wouldn't work, and when I tried pressing the menu button, it was telling me to 'unlock ' the phone, even though the little lock sign wasn't visible in the top corner. The battery meter was still filling up, as it does when it's charging.

So I disconnected it from the mains charger, and here was when it reminded me of a headless chicken, in that the battery meter was still going up and down as though it was still charging, but it was disconnected. Left it for around a minute, but the battery meter was still going up and down, and I though oooh how odd....

No alternative but to once again take the back off it, and take out the battery and re-boot it.

The trials and tribulations of being an N97 owner eh?
RM-530
E72-1
Ads

Old 21-02-2010, 10:36 AM

beardyweirdy is on a distinguished road
I've not done anything scientific to properly test this, but I seem to get a disproportionate amount of my problems (freezing, failure to open apps, erratic behaviour of lock switch etc) when the battery is very low on power. Generally the phone seems to be best behaved when on a full charge. This used to be more pronounced with earlier firmware, but still seems to happen to some extent now. It could be that there's something very voltage sensitive within the processor components?

Old 21-02-2010, 10:57 AM

zxon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by beardyweirdy View Post
I've not done anything scientific to properly test this, but I seem to get a disproportionate amount of my problems (freezing, failure to open apps, erratic behaviour of lock switch etc) when the battery is very low on power. Generally the phone seems to be best behaved when on a full charge. This used to be more pronounced with earlier firmware, but still seems to happen to some extent now. It could be that there's something very voltage sensitive within the processor components?
Ya know, I've noticed the same thing. There've been times where I've wanted to charge my battery through the PC but the phone wouldn't get detected, so I'd turn it off and on again, only to be met with the WSOD. After having swapped the nearly empty battery for a full one, it'd boot up just fine again.

www.andrew-irvine.co.uk
Please support my suggestion for Gravity!! - Add cut/copy/paste for when N97 is open

Old 22-02-2010, 04:11 PM

jamessmith01 is on a distinguished road
I've also noticed the battery takes ages to go down to about half-full, and then the second half is depleted much faster. Whether this is an error in the calibration I don't know, but it's very misleading when I have a "half-full" battery that lasts much less than half the full operating time.

Old 22-02-2010, 05:27 PM

rdcinhou is on a distinguished road
Speaking of yet more weird stuff under v2.1 firmware...

My fully charged N97 went "black" didn't respond to the unlock slider, touchscreen or keyboard and when you pressed the power button is just lit up the green and red lights on the front (no response on pushing these either).

I restored functionality by removing the battery and rebooting.

I wonder what other new and interesting "features" we'll all find in the v2.1 firmware?