All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 11-03-2010, 08:55 PM
symbianism

Nokia made their map app free to sell more phones. Making Ovi Maps free on old phones means there's less reason to buy a new phone, so of course Nokia is not in a hurry to release the free version for older phones.

Old 12-03-2010, 08:10 AM
Unregistered

Can someone confirm this?

So... I think I read all the posts, but there were so many I'm starting to forget things... and would like to hear someone confirm something.

Is it correct that the Nokia N82 can get Ovi Maps 3.03/3.04 but you pay about $16.99 for the US maps and about the same for the Europe maps? (Or is "Drive Europe" just for driving? How much are the walking maps?) Or is it an older version and you just get the data for that price? If so, how does that older version compare to 3.03/3.04?

Sorry about all the questions... I still have a N73 (no gps) and have been looking for a new phone for a few months. I would like a phone with a decent camera and xenon flash. I've been waiting for the next wave of models to be announced, but I'm starting to wonder if I should get one of the current ones and then wait for the Symbian^3/^4/MeeGo changes to have settled and get a new device then.

These ramblings are actually somewhat relevant to the topic. :P

To me getting the current Ovi Maps (3.03/3.04?) on the N82 for about $17 seems like a great deal. In a way it boosts the older models closer to the newer ones. I would probably be happy with the N82 for a year or two until some xenon-tastic Symbian^3/^4 or MeeGo devices start appearing.

But I'd like to know more about what kind of Ovi Maps the N82 has before I go down that path.
(N97 Mini also seems like a decent device and is of course a much more current model. I would probably get some camera envy when the Vivaz phones and other Q3/Q4 phones come out though.)

Thanks for any helpful info!

Old 12-03-2010, 09:21 AM

utluna is on a distinguished road
Prices dropped for New Zealand too. Only $19.99 for 1 year which I think before was about $60 or $70

Old 12-03-2010, 09:27 AM
The Maverick

Cool

I own a Nokia N82. I just check ho much this costs. The proce has dropped by around 90%. it now costs ZAR110.99 (South African Rands) for the year. That is equivalent to $14.79 for the year. This is pretty cheap when compared to the previous price of R579.00 per year.

I also expected it to be for free but I am not complaining. My next phone will be the E72. Hopefully, it will be for free

Old 12-03-2010, 04:20 PM
Unregistered

Ovi maps

Well, when I got my N95 8gb some 2 years ago, the cost of this service was standing at the region of 90,00 euro per year (per country? I don't remember).
I welcome Nokia's offer and confirm that, I have already grabbed it.

Old 12-03-2010, 10:33 PM
Unregistered

Talking

Good or bad strategy with free navigation for certain models isn't my problem or thing I can change or we can change. In every kind of business you will always reach the point: COSTS/EARNINGS - and the way you look at this point will generate strategy for the market. So Nokia looks at the market - OLDER phones (1 year phone is already OLD) will die sooner or later and will not bring any EARNINGS so we will invest in new models and we need to sell new phones as much as possible and as quick as possible to provide EARNINGS. We give for end users a carrot (Free Nokia Maps) to increase pressure for buying new phone. And that's it.

PS. don't forget about competitors

Old 13-03-2010, 09:09 PM
Unregistered

This is interesting, and good to see.

Funnily enough I just purchased 30 days navigation for my E51 about a week ago (approx $10), and now I can get a year for not much more. I'm not at all unhappy about this; the use I made of Ovi Maps on my trip last week was well worth the $10. I won't hesitate to extend it for an additional year now. Nokia have really done the right thing here, and as I didn't really expect to see free navigation appear for older phones like mine, I am delighted to see this.

Interesting also in conjunction with the recent news about demise of Wayfinder (for which I have a license on my N800). That is a shame, but as others have commented, map updates were never forthcoming, and frankly despite the relatively tiny screen, ovi maps 3.1 on my E51 is infinitely better than wayfinder (I'd say it did make some "interesting" route choices on my drives around Chicago this week, but it sounded like my colleagues with various other GPSes had the same experiences).
Ads

Old 15-03-2010, 10:32 AM
Sockatume

Is it my imagination, or have the Travel Guides and Walk Navigation been removed as part of this change?

Old 15-03-2010, 05:34 PM
Unregistered

I can't complain about something that was never promissed to me whan I purchased my N86. In Canada, it's reduced to $15.95 cdn for the year, I will not think twice about getting it.
Free would be better, but it's not, and I can live with that.

Old 15-03-2010, 09:26 PM

shadamehr is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
LOL! Caught a big one there! Fishing has never been so easy.

Can I recommend a nice calming drink of camomile tea!
I take no abuses, nor even advice, I'm sad to say, from any of the millions of 'unregistered' users of this site.

The majority of registered users have told rafe time after time after time after time after time, that the "unregistered, and thus anonymous posting facility", is the absolute death of this site.

But he won't listen, as it would seem (I challenge you to explain it better rafe mate if not) that quantity is more important to this site, and of course advertising revenue, than quality...

*lol*

Old 16-03-2010, 05:27 AM

Ilgaz is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Shows Nokia's problem, exactly

So, to boost sales of new devices, they drove 80% of Nokia owners nuts and they did with the expense of multi billion company. Acquisition looking worthless now.

While on it, they also drove a company who codes for Symbian for years, out of business.

Their most successful handset owners, E71 and they should be proud that they are _still_ using that handset, it is NOT like E71 owners are "poor" or anything, they are just happy with their device are all nuts to them now.

BTW, I finally saw an E72, if Nokia thinks I will "upgrade" to that plastic, cheap looking junk for "maps" while it is clear Google maps/free nav is on the way for _all_ devices, they are having a dream which is only possible in Finland I think.

Do a favour to 20%,*make 80% otherwise dedicated users mad. That is one thing only and only Nokia can do. Even Microsoft can't do it.

Old 16-03-2010, 05:35 AM

Ilgaz is on a distinguished road
Quote:
When am I going to get free Nokia maps with route guidance on my Nintendo DS? Nokia said free maps for everyone, so where is maps for my Nintendo?
Funny you mention that brand. Nintendo and Sony brands should be never mentioned while whining on behalf of Nokia and attacking people.

Nintendo DS and Sony PSP had _amazing_ enhancements in their lifetimes, ALL for free. Compare a PSP 1.x to current PSP and be amazed.

So, it is not really "stupid" to make a favour to your users and get good , FREE PR in return. If you give a $100 worth thing (compared to iPhone commercial stuff) for free, that guy/gal stays on your brand, feeds _your_ scene with his/her money. Otherwise? Let me tell what will happen: Google Maps will sure add navigation for free, on Android first and iPhone next. It will take ages on Nokia if it even happens. Why? Because, Nokia pissed them off on their trendy/new segment.

Old 16-03-2010, 05:37 AM

Micky! is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Well, when I got my N95 8gb some 2 years ago, the cost of this service was standing at the region of 90,00 euro per year (per country? I don't remember).
I welcome Nokia's offer and confirm that, I have already grabbed it.
Exactly, it's a superb deal, and although not technically free, its near as dam it for what it costs, and what you get for your small outlay.

Old 16-03-2010, 10:14 AM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
On unregistered comments - there's a fairly even split from those who like them and those who do not. Those who do not tend to be fairly vocal though!

The intention is to allow people who might not otherwise comment to do so. That said there is a change coming to the commenting system in the near future.

Old 16-03-2010, 11:27 AM
Unregistered

I have about 4 Nokias serving as backup phones at the moment. I don't expect them to have free navigation as that wasn't the case when I bought the phones. So in other words, shut the fk up, please!