All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 17-05-2010, 09:52 PM

viipottaja is on a distinguished road
Beardyweirdy, _supposedly_ not a problem as a 8 second press on the power button boots the phone.

Old 17-05-2010, 09:59 PM

shreyu is on a distinguished road
Hi Rafe,

The camera doesn't have any cover? How is the camera situated in its slot then? Is it recessed enough??

Old 17-05-2010, 11:00 PM

Artz is on a distinguished road
Yes, I can see it clearly now. It shows on the first image. N8 looks like an iPhone in some green casing.

Old 17-05-2010, 11:09 PM

miki69 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by shreyu View Post
Hi Rafe,

The camera doesn't have any cover? How is the camera situated in its slot then? Is it recessed enough??
well it's sunk a bit in the body, plus camera glass is reinforced one, according to Damian.
Ads

Old 17-05-2010, 11:09 PM

Hurlley is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artz View Post
Yes, I can see it clearly now. It shows on the first image. N8 looks like an iPhone in some green casing.
It no way looks like an iPhone in green casing. The iPhone looks like old winmo phones, and like PDAs!!!

Anyway I think it would look good in Black not up for all these crazy colours.

Old 17-05-2010, 11:56 PM

Ilgaz is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down Do these people have a clue?

Giving user a chance to replace battery himself is something more than what they think. It shows Nokia isn't really a control freak like Apple and not looking to rob users with an opportunity which will sure happen in a certain period of time.

Another thing is: People does NOT like to give their devices to service centers because of time wasted, privacy concerns and treatment. If a Nokia shows white screen of death, one will give it to service of course... But for a simple thing as a battery change?

Non user changeable battery is something _only_ Apple can dare to do and succeed with thousands of free "apologizers". They aren't Apple, they keep forgetting this fact.

Old 18-05-2010, 12:02 AM
Unregistered

Rebooting

If the battery can't be accessed, how do you reboot when the software seizes up?Is there a reset button/slot?

Old 18-05-2010, 12:09 AM

viipottaja is on a distinguished road
Read what I said a few posts above.

Old 18-05-2010, 12:29 AM
Unregistered

Non removable battery

This is a bad thing. I used to carry 2 spare batteries in my pocket when going out for a whole day on the street. When I went travelling, more batteries are needed and they need to be replacable easily while travelling on the road.
David

Old 18-05-2010, 01:41 AM
Unregistered

Oh no. Non-removable batteries. How very iPhone-ish of Nokia.

Surely this is the end of the world.

Old 18-05-2010, 02:15 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by beardyweirdy View Post
This isn't meant to sound facetious, but the main concern I'd have with the non removable battery is the opportunity to pull the battery when the phone freezes.

OK, so we all hope this isn't going to be a twice a day thing like the N97 experience, but I used to have to do this quite a few times with my N95 and N95 8GB too.
Ditto !!

Old 18-05-2010, 05:48 AM
Unregistered

The OS

I hope that Nokia will start to show the OS in more detail, especially regarding the multitasking implementation.

So far what they have show past the home screen seems to be pretty much standard S60, I do hope there will be even more visual eye candy deeper into the OS.

Nokia really need to advertise this device to within an inch of its life, online among us who live and breath mobiles is no good, its the casual user who sees an iPhone ad and says wow, ill have one of those thanks. These are the people Nokia need to win over, to do this they need TV adverts more than anything else.

Phone looks very promising though.

http://irelandstechnologyblog.blogspot.com/

Old 18-05-2010, 06:15 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I hope that Nokia will start to show the OS in more detail, especially regarding the multitasking implementation.

So far what they have show past the home screen seems to be pretty much standard S60, I do hope there will be even more visual eye candy deeper into the OS.

Nokia really need to advertise this device to within an inch of its life, online among us who live and breath mobiles is no good, its the casual user who sees an iPhone ad and says wow, ill have one of those thanks. These are the people Nokia need to win over, to do this they need TV adverts more than anything else.

Phone looks very promising though.

http://irelandstechnologyblog.blogspot.com/
You're forgetting this is Symbian we're talking about here thus customisable themes =D Most posibilly more eyecandy to customise yourself from animated backgrounds to transition effects... button pressed down animation... ect.ect

Old 18-05-2010, 06:18 AM
Unregistered

Non changable battery

A friend of mine switches side from N97 mini to Iphone. He told me once, he has to watch for his battery consumption so he stops using a lot of functions he would like to use. So why Nokia want to impose such restriction on us. A very bad move.

Old 18-05-2010, 06:36 AM

RollerSMB is on a distinguished road
sigh

No replaceable battery, at first i wanted to whinge, but then i realised i've NEVER replaced any of my phones batteries. However, as current owner of an n97, i sure as hell have had to pull them out and replace them frequently. Still.. why not have micro screws and allow replacement with a jewel screwdriver.. irrational for my situation, but still annoying that they don't present that option.

Still, promising overall, if not a bit ugly imo, looking forward to what they can do with this hardware in a more stylish shell. Maybe they can do an n9 in a dual slider format.. mmm.. touchscreen with dedicated buttons for games/media..