All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 22-05-2010, 09:29 AM
Dardo

Address search is crap!

Quote:
Originally Posted by raka View Post
Besides all things mentioned already, they still haven't found a solution for the extremely quirky address search. It is not finding any address if you not exactly spell it correctly.

I'm sorry, but that's not acceptable - I do not always know exactly how street names have to be spelled.

Why not select from a live forming list, like Tomtom, Sygic, and many others?

Since 3.03 the user interface is somewhat better, but for in-car use there are still too many clicks and most interface elements (on my 5800) are way too small. They really have to learn a lot from their competition. And I do not see any progress here. Please Nokia, run faster!
I agree, address search is almost unusable and very illogical. Typical Nokia software engineering.

Old 23-05-2010, 07:22 AM
Stuntman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
It helps to read post #36, brotha.
I don't see how those settings really help. What if the best route uses a tunnel?

If someone can explain what the difference between optimised and fastest, I'd appreciate it.

Old 24-05-2010, 08:44 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuntman View Post
I don't see how those settings really help. What if the best route uses a tunnel?

If someone can explain what the difference between optimised and fastest, I'd appreciate it.
Then help your sorry @$$. I hope you get lost.

Old 24-05-2010, 11:46 PM
Stuntman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Then help your sorry @$$. I hope you get lost.
What's your problem? I just want to know why those settings are supposed to improve the performance of Ovi Maps. It just does not seem intuitive to me that those settings would improve the routing. No need to show such attitude.

Old 25-05-2010, 10:08 AM

miskol is on a distinguished road
wifi positioning module don't close internet connection

My experience on 5800 is that If I enable wifi positioning module every time I close nokia mapy or google maps my internet connection is enabled and don't close after some time.

If I disable wifi positioning everything work right.

Do you experiencing same behavior ??

Old 25-05-2010, 10:57 PM

bugmenot123 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cians_2200 View Post
Is the map loader the only way to download the country/city maps to your phone? It would be great if one can download the maps directly from the Ovi store itself, like have another tab for Navigation, and have the same functionality of the map loader (choosing the continent, then country, then city).
There's an alternative method on http://nokiamaps.site666.info that doesn't require Map Loader or Ovi Suite. It's basically a set of instructions and a collection of links to the map files on Nokia's own server. If you can extract ZIP files on your phone you don't even have to use a computer.

Last edited by bugmenot123; 03-06-2014 at 06:44 PM.

Old 26-05-2010, 11:20 AM
ccrobopid

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelp View Post
Still no voice when connected to bluetooth car!
I've v3.03 and it seems to transmits voice over bluetooth because I've a Parrot set in which it works. But I've tried it with a sony bluetooth integrated in a ford and there it doesn't work.. so maybe it's not a nokia issue. Although I would prefer this was user configurable because I don't like the car radio turns off everytime ovi maps has something to say.
Ads

Old 26-05-2010, 07:43 PM

Ilgaz is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down E71 support for free was a bad thing?

Now, as we whined (!) enough, we got a 3.03 version for free without the enhancements with 3.04, they paid for version is version frozen too...

They didn't even bother to release a beta/alpha to E71 so we could report issues and help with development.

I don't know about you but, I would gladly pay yearly for a maintained up to date maps instead of an unmaintained, unsupported "free" one.

Anything else with offline support that we can buy and sure it won't go out of business soon?

Old 26-05-2010, 07:47 PM

Ilgaz is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugmenot123 View Post
There's an alternative method on http://nokiamaps.site666.info that doesn't require Map Loader or Ovi Suite. It's basically a set of instructions and a collection of links to the map files on Nokia's own server. If you can extract ZIP files on your phone you don't even have to use a computer.
So all that ".NET Technology", not being able to ship a final for OS X was just for unzipping freaking files to right place? I speak about the famous "map loader" of course.

As far as I know, even J2ME apps can unzip data to right place once they got properly signed. Another thing is, E series already have licensed and properly working zip application.

One could understand if it did some really advanced things like checking versions of files, updating the needed ones, adding some encyription but.. Hell man, these are the guys are sitting on billion dollar map data. These people...

Old 31-05-2010, 05:59 PM

muneeb99 is on a distinguished road
Not Good

I prefer version 3.03 and the worst thing about 3.04 is that it doesn't show GPS Signal Strength and it is taking longer to get a gps fix under same conditions Is there any way of downgrading? im using N97mini

Last edited by muneeb99; 31-05-2010 at 06:02 PM.

Old 08-06-2010, 05:54 AM
Stuntman

Outdated Maps

I'm still waiting for the maps themselves to be updated. There's a new bridge that opened in the Metro Vancouver area a year ago and it is still not on the loaded maps yet.

Old 19-06-2010, 07:57 AM
beemr

5800 ovi 3.04 fixed!

To think, all this time I thought it was my firmware (v40). This did the trick, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenoce View Post
Do not start OVI Maps. Go to Settings -> Phone settings -> App. settings -> Positioning -> Positioning settings

There you can uncheck wifi positioning.

Old 19-06-2010, 09:05 AM
Unregistered

Thumbs up Thanks

Another thanks to tenoce!! Works fine now!

Old 06-08-2010, 08:49 PM

legionnaire is on a distinguished road
Any feedback on stability issues on N97 NAM + Ovi Maps 3.04 + FW version 22.2.110.C01

Any feedback on issues with moving up to Ovi Maps 3.04? I am using a NAM N97 (RM-507) on FW version 22.2.110.C01.01. Debating the move from 3.03 to 3.04.