All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 30-06-2006, 09:04 AM
James761

Ok to use n80 on plane in offline mode?

You guys think i can use my phone in offline mode on the plane without me crashing the plane??

Old 30-06-2006, 09:19 AM

rcastberg is on a distinguished road
In offline mode the n80 still has WLAN on, which mean that you would be braking the rules.
This kinda sucks as it would have been nice to be able to take the phone on board.

Though crash the plane, i doubt it.

René

Old 30-06-2006, 09:22 AM

DaveLFC is on a distinguished road
Unless you are the pilot then I think you're safe. However different airlines have different policies. You can not use any electrical devices until the plane is in cruising mode on any airlines. Then it is always wise to ask a stewardess. They are usually quite clued up these days on 'flight mode' on phones and pdas. Make sure your wireless connection is also off.

However the same can't be said about old people in hospitals. You are waiting to see a doctor and to pass the time you put your phone in flight mode and play a game etc. The amount of daft people that think it is their business to point out the 'no mobile phones' sign to you. One even got the nurse. Trying to explain 'flight mode' was ridiculous.

Old 30-06-2006, 09:34 AM
James761

Thanks for the feedback guys, ook so how do i make sure LAN is 100% inactive.

Old 30-06-2006, 09:40 AM

go to connectivity/conn. mgr/ act data conn. select the active ones and under options you can disconnect.

unless you have the four boxes on your main screen the wireless is OFF anyay.

Old 30-06-2006, 09:42 AM

jaydisc is on a distinguished road
Does this also apply to the E61?

Old 30-06-2006, 10:03 AM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Actually in Offline mode the phone shoudl ask before connecting to WLAN (though it may try and scan depending on your settings). In anycase WLAN isn't a problem as its safe to use on a plane (Boeing have a WiFi solution that is used of SAS among others).

The wise thing to do is ask before using, but generally speaking unless you are flying a low cost carrier you should be fine.

Old 30-06-2006, 10:09 AM

A good rule of thumb is, if you press the right soft key and the plane banks to the right, then press the left soft key and the plane banks to the left, TURN OFF YOUR PHONE!
Ads

Old 30-06-2006, 10:18 AM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Also if you press the end call key and the engine switches off the best thing to do is press the green call key as quickly as you can. Then hide your phone and try not to look too suspicious.

Old 30-06-2006, 12:21 PM

Cash is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe
Also if you press the end call key and the engine switches off the best thing to do is press the green call key as quickly as you can. Then hide your phone and try not to look too suspicious.
This sound like the best mobile phone flight game there is ...

Old 30-06-2006, 12:31 PM

FriedSpam is on a distinguished road
Oh and be very careful about not pushing the pencil key. This opperates the pilots ejector seat and could give the game away.

Apart from that you should be fine!

Old 01-07-2006, 12:59 PM

Olly is on a distinguished road
Angry

I was on a flight last year and had my 6630 in offline mode, I was viewing some pics and a Stewardess rudely pointed at me and told me to switch THAT off!......they need to get educated, silly bitch!

Old 02-07-2006, 02:55 AM

_Dx_ is on a distinguished road
like 3 months ago i went to canada by plane i was with my ipod shuffle just listenning music and and old man told me, hey kid u are going to crash the plane with that cellphone and i was like wtf wut cellphone then a Stewardess came to me and she said turn ur cellphone off and she touched my right and left pocket and i started laughing then both of them was "what are u laughing of?? then i said please its a music player please stop bottering me. then Stewardess got mad at me and she said "please turn on ur cellphone or i will call the pilot", i was like wtf wut cellphone it is on my suitcase, then ppl started looking at me and i said "hey do anyone knows whats this??" then a guy said it is just a mp3 player please stop bottering him. the Stewardess went for the pilot and she said that my ipod was a cellphone again and the pilot said please dont be stupid its just an ipod, do u see any numbers on it??, or any screen??,`please stop bottering and leave him alone.

it was a fun trip then when i returned home i saw the same Stewardess again and i said "hi, would u like to make a call b4 we go?? she said oo u again so funny for u huh??" then i went to my seat and she gave me a bottle of water dunno why but i didnt drink it hehehe