All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 80

Old 27-02-2007, 07:39 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
E90 Extra, Extra - Read All About It!

Following on from last week's preview of the upcoming Nokia E90 Communicator, and responding to the many comments and questions, I've done a follow-up article, with another couple of dozen E90 screenshots and comments. Enjoy.

Read on in the full article.

Old 27-02-2007, 08:02 AM

Kala-Eemeli is on a distinguished road
Question Screenshots

Is there stg funny with the 'Installer' screenshot - at least my Firefox is not displaying it correctly ?

Old 27-02-2007, 08:32 AM

cooli is on a distinguished road
Any way Steve in quickoffice to display a Word document in full page view 90deg rotated so that it uses the full 800pixel for the page length?
Would be quite useful for print/general preview...

Old 27-02-2007, 08:43 AM

romeo26 is on a distinguished road
did you get any out of memory errors while doing the test?

if not can you try?
and
can you post a screen shot of how that system rush game looks on the internal screen looks like?

thanks!

Old 27-02-2007, 09:14 AM

cooli is on a distinguished road
Didn't find your email Steve (did not search long enough , so I post here what websites I would like to see tested in 3rd part of E90 preview:
- main websites related to (photo/video) blogging, both from publishing point of view and for the reading part: publishing post on wordpress/typepad/blogger, posting/watching photo on flickr, video on youtube/dailymotion, ...
- can you try www.netvibes.com (it crashes on my E61...)
- Nokia europe main page with all their flash animations
- Gmail
- www.meebo.com
- http://web2ftp.fr/
- if any time left www.lemonde.fr
Thanks!

Old 27-02-2007, 09:37 AM
Administrator

krisse is on a distinguished road
"HanDBase, a pretty good database app for S60, though of course it's still optimised for smaller screens"

You can optimise this for yourself I think, I seem to remember the PC application has some settings to do with how wide each column is on the phone.

Old 27-02-2007, 11:16 AM
Unregistered

I thought the Calsium screenshot was hilarious!

Old 27-02-2007, 11:18 AM
Dylan

Lightbulb Google Documents

Hi Steve,

Could you try Google Documents?

The site is great to create documents on the move and share, but I can't use it with my communicator (9300).

thanks
Ads

Old 27-02-2007, 12:35 PM

Mobilix is on a distinguished road
Great details in your review, thanks!

But OPL for S80 is not dead, as Edo's FileNote development (similar to View+ in EPOC) shows!
tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/FileNote

Ciao
Mobilix

Old 27-02-2007, 06:57 PM
Administrator

Answers:
HanDBase -yes, I had a quick fiddle, but it still didn't seem to fill out properly.

Site suggestions - all noted, will try most of them tomorrow (Wed)

Memory errors? No, none.

System Rush - doesn't install on E90.

Print preview - no, all strictly vertical, as shown.

I've only got the E90 for a day longer, but will test what I can.

Steve

Old 27-02-2007, 10:01 PM

My-Symbian.com is on a distinguished road
> System Rush - doesn't install on E90.

System Rush *does install* on my E90. And it runs perfectly smooth on the external display. It also works on the large internal screen but it only occupies 320x240 pixels at the lower left corner of the screen.

> Could you try Google Documents?

Google Documents in the built-in browser shows a message that "Safari browser will be supported soon" and that's it.

I also installed Opera S60 3rd Edition browser on the E90 (E61 version IIRC) but the message was different: "Browser not supported".

--
You can find literally hundreds of answers to detailed questions about the E90 on the My-Symbian.com E90 discussion forum

http://My-Symbian.com/forum/

Old 27-02-2007, 11:25 PM
BigMadDrongo

I'd be interested to know how much all that extra RAM does for the Nokia Browser. I've been underwhelmed with the browser on my E70, mostly because it quickly eats the already-scarce free RAM - even if it's the only program running, I've usually been browsing for about two minutes before I find a site that makes it crash. (Of course that might be instability rather than lack of RAM...)

If you have a chance, could you test the E90 browsing some fairly complex sites, especially containing lots of Javascript etc? Examples would be:
news.bbc.co.uk (somewhat complex layout, lots of pictures)
maps.google.co.uk (the real one, which always kills my E70, as opposed to the J2ME version)
myvue.com (more images and Javascript than really necessary for a listing of film times)

Old 28-02-2007, 06:11 AM

n0k1a is on a distinguished road
I believe the behavior in the Wi-Fi scanning section is normal, rather than unfinished code. The WLAN wizard on my E61 currently shows the name of the Wi-Fi AP here, and 'Known' underneath. To confirm this, I just renamed the AP and scanned again. WLAN wizard now shows the new name, and 'Unknown', just as in your screenshot.

If you define an access point for your router, I suspect that it would then show up as known. Unless you mean that you did define the AP, and it still says unknown...that could be a problem.

Oh, FWIW, now that the E90 is part of The Grid, it now comes out on top for me! The E61 is still my favorite device which I have actually used, but I could really see getting an E90 for my foreign SIM (and therefore not needing a separate camera and GPS receiver, but still having the superb E61 for non-camera-friendly areas). Of course, they just had to use a different memory card format and different battery than the E61...

Any confirmation that the E90 definitely will have TV video output? That would be a big selling point for me. Especially if it can be set to PAL or NTSC on the same version device at will. The official Nokia page didn't seem to list a TV out lead as an included accessory.

Old 28-02-2007, 07:24 AM

romeo26 is on a distinguished road
is the nokia e90 video blog worthy?

Old 28-02-2007, 08:04 AM
Administrator

Re: System Rush. Michal, I suspect you've got a newer firmware than on my device. Or older. Either way, I got a product code-related error when installing.

Re: RAM. Yes, the RAM helps enormously, though it was hard to draw hard and fast conclusions as the proto E90 tended to reboot itself quite often when stressed in this way. VERY early firmware though, an early beta at best.

I did some of my own web site tests and will do an editorial based on the results, but Michal's right - the biggest problem is sites not detecting a desktop browser (or identifying Web as Safari) and not serving up the full site 8-(

Re: video worthy? Yes, the E90 will also be perfect for video blogging. But when I filmed that bit of the show (2 weeks ago), I'd never seen an E90! 8-)

Steve