All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

  #16  
Old 30-07-2007, 10:27 AM
pa49 pa49 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 400
pa49 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoundDog View Post
I've also noticed something else while I've been messing around with the cards.

I always like to format any kind of storage media in the device it's going to be used in most, I always think this way it's optimised for device you're going to use it in. Therefore each time I get a new card, I've formated it in the phone before I've used it.

The N95 formats the 4GB SDHC card in FAT32 but the 2GB Ultra II in FAT16.
That's how they get more storage with less speed!

  #17  
Old 30-07-2007, 03:57 PM
myauto myauto is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 12
myauto is on a distinguished road
Wow... great work and interesting test results.

Has anyone tested the Ultra II 2GB against the standard 2GB? Wonder if phone really make use of the speedier Ultra II or standard 2GB speed is the fastest speed that the phone can use.

  #18  
Old 30-07-2007, 09:57 PM
slawmilcz slawmilcz is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 156
slawmilcz is on a distinguished road
I have just bought 4GB SD-card and would like to exchange my 2GB card for this newest one.
What is the easiest way to do it? I just want to copy the content of one card to the PC and then from the PC to the other card. Do you practise another way?

  #19  
Old 31-07-2007, 09:23 AM
HoundDog HoundDog is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: London, UK
Posts: 318
HoundDog is on a distinguished road
That's all you need to do.

Just make sure you have 'Show hidden folders' selected and 'Hide protected operating system files' unchecked in Windows (If you use windows), so you can see and select everything.

I would also format the new card in the phone first.
Ads

  #20  
Old 01-08-2007, 09:12 AM
henklbr's Avatar
henklbr henklbr is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 133
henklbr is on a distinguished road


Got mine 4Gb yesterday; average price overhere, Netherlands, is €70

1 thing I discovered with Nokia Map Loader 1.1g:

I wanted to install the full Europe map, which is about 1.3Gb; I've more than 2Gb available on my memory-card, but NML only "sees" 1.2Gb!
So I think, NML doesn't recognize the 4Gb-cards yet!

Hope they'll come with an update soon . . .
__________________
Nokia N95-1 (02.01) - SanDisk microSDHC 16GB
V 21.0.016 / 14-02-08 / RM-159
Nokia Maps v2.0 wk45 b03, Europe
Route 66 Mobile v8.0.16821 (16818), Western Europe Q3-08 (v2.211) / Eastern Europe Q3-08 (v1.210)

  #21  
Old 01-08-2007, 09:14 AM
henklbr's Avatar
henklbr henklbr is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 133
henklbr is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartmanekul View Post
Can anyone confirm if they have a 4gb card working on a 6110 navigator?
The card is compatible with the N95 & E90 Communicator
__________________
Nokia N95-1 (02.01) - SanDisk microSDHC 16GB
V 21.0.016 / 14-02-08 / RM-159
Nokia Maps v2.0 wk45 b03, Europe
Route 66 Mobile v8.0.16821 (16818), Western Europe Q3-08 (v2.211) / Eastern Europe Q3-08 (v1.210)

  #22  
Old 01-08-2007, 10:10 AM
sbc sbc is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 292
sbc is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by henklbr View Post
I wanted to install the full Europe map, which is about 1.3Gb; I've more than 2Gb available on my memory-card, but NML only "sees" 1.2Gb!
So I think, NML doesn't recognize the 4Gb-cards yet!
Sorry if I am stating the obvious, but the Map program on your N95 have a slider, allowing you to determin how much of the storage card you are prepared to use for storing maps. This setting is stored on your microSD and read by NML.

  #23  
Old 01-08-2007, 10:39 AM
henklbr's Avatar
henklbr henklbr is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 133
henklbr is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbc View Post
Sorry if I am stating the obvious, but the Map program on your N95 have a slider, allowing you to determin how much of the storage card you are prepared to use for storing maps. This setting is stored on your microSD and read by NML.
Found the setting; I increased it to 90% . . .

Thanks for help
__________________
Nokia N95-1 (02.01) - SanDisk microSDHC 16GB
V 21.0.016 / 14-02-08 / RM-159
Nokia Maps v2.0 wk45 b03, Europe
Route 66 Mobile v8.0.16821 (16818), Western Europe Q3-08 (v2.211) / Eastern Europe Q3-08 (v1.210)

  #24  
Old 01-08-2007, 11:54 AM
Barkotron Barkotron is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 15
Barkotron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoundDog View Post
I've also noticed something else while I've been messing around with the cards.

I always like to format any kind of storage media in the device it's going to be used in most, I always think this way it's optimised for device you're going to use it in. Therefore each time I get a new card, I've formated it in the phone before I've used it.

The N95 formats the 4GB SDHC card in FAT32 but the 2GB Ultra II in FAT16.
That's because the maximum size of a volume/partition with FAT16 is 2GB.

Also, there shouldn't be any need to format a card in a particular device if it's already formatted and you don't want to change the filesystem - a FAT16/32 filesystem is a FAT16/32 filesystem, no matter which device it's being used in (pretty much). There's no optimisation to be found there. It doesn't hurt, but then it doesn't help at all either.

  #25  
Old 01-08-2007, 11:59 AM
HoundDog HoundDog is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: London, UK
Posts: 318
HoundDog is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkotron View Post
That's because the maximum size of a volume/partition with FAT16 is 2GB.
Very true, forgot about that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkotron View Post
Also, there shouldn't be any need to format a card in a particular device if it's already formatted and you don't want to change the filesystem - a FAT16/32 filesystem is a FAT16/32 filesystem, no matter which device it's being used in (pretty much). There's no optimisation to be found there. It doesn't hurt, but then it doesn't help at all either.
The reason i said that was when you format in the phone, it also adds all the default folders in that the phoen needs to use. The same as when you format a memory card in camera.

  #26  
Old 01-08-2007, 12:18 PM
Barkotron Barkotron is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 15
Barkotron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoundDog View Post
The reason i said that was when you format in the phone, it also adds all the default folders in that the phoen needs to use. The same as when you format a memory card in camera.
Ahh, so it does. Fair enough .

  #27  
Old 07-08-2007, 11:26 PM
minglau770 minglau770 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Sydney
Posts: 19
minglau770 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoundDog View Post
I've also noticed something else while I've been messing around with the cards.

I always like to format any kind of storage media in the device it's going to be used in most, I always think this way it's optimised for device you're going to use it in. Therefore each time I get a new card, I've formated it in the phone before I've used it.

The N95 formats the 4GB SDHC card in FAT32 but the 2GB Ultra II in FAT16.
N95 works fine with 4GB Card, there are a lot of phone shop keep telling me it cant work, but so far as i can see it, as long as you have the latest software and a 4GB Card it will work :-)

and yes it does formate it to FAT32, which is a lot better then FAT 16 anyway :-)

  #28  
Old 09-08-2007, 08:34 AM
akseln akseln is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 25
akseln is on a distinguished road
Komplett in Norway just added the 6GB card to their store. While he 4GB is a class 2 SDHC card, the 6GB is a class 4 :-)

Look here

8GB should also be available in the near future....
__________________
Phone history: 2010-2110-8110-5110-8210-6210-6310-6600-6680-N95

  #29  
Old 09-08-2007, 12:11 PM
HoundDog HoundDog is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: London, UK
Posts: 318
HoundDog is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by minglau770 View Post
N95 works fine with 4GB Card, there are a lot of phone shop keep telling me it cant work, but so far as i can see it, as long as you have the latest software and a 4GB Card it will work :-)
Not being funny, but I'd trust the people on this forum more than someone in a shop.

  #30  
Old 09-08-2007, 12:16 PM
HoundDog HoundDog is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: London, UK
Posts: 318
HoundDog is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by akseln View Post
Komplett in Norway just added the 6GB card to their store. While he 4GB is a class 2 SDHC card, the 6GB is a class 4 :-)

Look here

8GB should also be available in the near future....
After running the test I did above with the standard and faster cards. I don't think a class 4 card will make any difference in the phone to a class 2. It will though in a card reader.
 

Bookmarks

Tags
4gb, cards, micro, slow

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Nokia N95 unboxed, previewed and demo-ed! slitchfield Series 60 145 20-09-2009 09:34 AM
Genuine 4GB Memory Cards on the N80? elaverick Nokia N80 22 28-05-2007 03:17 AM
4gb Micro SDHC - when are they out? m.r.davies Nokia N95 and N95 8GB 9 22-05-2007 09:51 PM
4GB mini Sd cards SpeTz Nokia N80 11 31-12-2006 06:49 PM
Nokia Decide to Finally Support SD Cards Ewan Symbian OS News 0 14-09-2004 05:50 PM



All times are GMT. The time now is 10:18 AM.


vBulletin skins developed by: eXtremepixels
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Notes || Contact Us || Privacy Policy