All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 15-07-2008, 09:16 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Download! - absolutely no excuse

With the news that Apple have (unsurprisingly) had 10 million downloads from their on-device AppStore in the first weekend of operation, I can't help but reflect back on the continuing disaster that is Nokia's Download! system - read my rant below and see if you agree!

Read on in the full article.

Old 15-07-2008, 09:24 AM
Super Moderator

bartmanekul is on a distinguished road
I would have liked a web version as well, being able to view using a monitor (and using mouse, keyboard etc) would make browsing all these apps much much easier.

Tbh I dont want to use my phone for browsing for apps. The function needs to be there of course - in case I need something on the fly, like translation software or the like.

Maybe with OVI we might see something worthwhile.

Old 15-07-2008, 10:01 AM

tenoce is on a distinguished road
Wasn't there something about the download service on the mysterious www.openatownrisk.com webpage?

"A secret that can now be found within Nokia Download service, allowing the public you, to find the key to break the seals."

Isn't that a hint for a Download service redesign?

Old 15-07-2008, 10:08 AM

jonathan488 is on a distinguished road
Have none of you been on to http://www.download.nokia.com/ ??

You can browse all the apps that way.

I do agree though, it's a pretty poor service

Old 15-07-2008, 10:14 AM
Super Moderator

timsalmon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartmanekul View Post
I would have liked a web version as well, being able to view using a monitor (and using mouse, keyboard etc) would make browsing all these apps much much easier.
Is this what you're looking for?

http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/news/...available_.php

Tim

Old 15-07-2008, 10:20 AM
Super Moderator

Ah, thanks Tim, didnt even know that existed (which says a lot about things).

I'll have a look at that now.

Quote:
Have none of you been on to http://www.download.nokia.com/ ??

You can browse all the apps that way.

I do agree though, it's a pretty poor service
Been there, and its the worst way of doing it possible. Theres no search, no way to list or sort the apps, and there seems to be an extremely small selection. Many good apps I know of are not in there.

Old 15-07-2008, 10:21 AM
Administrator

Tzer2 is on a distinguished road
Although Nokia have developed various PC versions of Download, the on-phone version of Download hasn't really been updated at all in the past few years, and that's just ridiculous.

Even the structure of the Download menus is ludicrous, with some organised by publisher while others are organised by software type, and frequently the title of a folder gives you no clue as to what is inside it.

Nokia could make Download a lot better simply by reorganising the folder structure (so for example all the games would be in a single folder called "Games"). That would take no time at all to do, and it would make it much easier to navigate. There's also the bizarre choice to make some software visible on some phones but not others, so people can't rely on Download to find particular games or apps.

It's even more frustrating because the new N-Gage application does a very good job of handling phone software sales. It's not perfect, but it's much faster than Download, better organised, looks more attractive, has more features (including user reviews), displays all games on all phones and is more intuitive to navigate. You can even browse N-Gage without an internet connection, and use it to launch software which you've already installed, or use it to restore software you've bought but uninstalled.

Selling N-Gage games is technically no different to selling any other phone software, so why is it that N-Gage gets a fairly good interface while Download (with its much larger audience) stays rubbish for so long?

And why is there a parallel "catalogues" system running alongside Download with a totally different interface?

Old 15-07-2008, 10:31 AM
Unregistered

Why bother with Nokia download, when Handango is excellent.

Old 15-07-2008, 10:45 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by timsalmon View Post
Is this what you're looking for?

http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/news/...available_.php

Tim
Unfortunatly, its not available anymore. Online nokia download appears to have replaced it, according to betalabs.

Which is a huge shame, as I said, theres absoloutly no way of searching or even looking in categories for an app. Unless Im missing something on that page?

All you can do is choose between top downloads, new downloads, Applications and games! They dont even seem to be in any order.

8 pages of 'applications' with no sort or search option - its not suprising people wouldnt use it.

Oh, and it also doesn't give any prices, it just says 'try for free'.

Old 15-07-2008, 10:54 AM

chrsfrwll is on a distinguished road
Couldn't agree with you more, Steve. In the few days that I've been playing with the App Store on my iPhone, I've been very impressed by it's implementation (less so by the apps but it is early days). Searching by "Featured, Category, Top 25" or just a name search is so quick and easy, with a further split for Paid and Free apps. Downloading to either iPhone or iTunes for later sync is simple and more to the point, works. As does the payement method of linking to your iTunes account. I couldn't count the number of times Nokia Download gave me errors while clicking trhough the various levels.

Definitely one of the plus points of my new iPhone 3G, and I've already bought a couple of Apps just through browsing around.

Old 15-07-2008, 10:55 AM
Simon Judge

I agree

I wrote about this last November and had some ideas how it could be improved..
http://mobilephonedevelopment.com/archives/495

Simon

Old 15-07-2008, 10:56 AM

neilhoskins is on a distinguished road
I agree with pretty much all the above, apart from the praise for Handango. Even though they're the dominant force in mobile software downloads, I won't be using them anymore. Final straw was when they wanted a fee for a repeat download after I'd reflashed my phone several months after first paying for the app. And the way they don't tell you the VAT until you're almost finished with the buying process is very close to breaching UK consumer law.

Old 15-07-2008, 11:03 AM

Bosambo is on a distinguished road
Too little too late...

The shame is, they saw it all coming. They just sat there, doing nothing. They had the edge...years of experience in the mobile phone industry and a massive customer base. Instead they postured, claimed their industry wasn't easy to get into and that the iPhone would struggle...lauged at the concept of a fully touch interface and pointed at all the features they had that the iPhone didn't that people easily shrugged off.

Poor effort.

Old 15-07-2008, 11:04 AM
Unregistered

Download

I followed the link to the Europe nokia page for download from the PC.....Go figure, not available on the US version of the website. Another place where I believe Nokia fails. They deliver content uneaqually to consumers. And don't get me started on availability of phone models here in the US!!

All this and I still love my phones.
Ads

Old 15-07-2008, 11:04 AM

neilhoskins is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartmanekul View Post
<snip>

Oh, and it also doesn't give any prices, it just says 'try for free'.
Which is also pretty close to breaching UK consumer law.