All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 25-03-2009, 02:07 PM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
The ill-fated 'Red' UK Nokia 5800s finally get v20 firmware

Just a note that if you're the owner of a UK-bought 'red' Nokia 5800 and have been champing at the bit for a bit of v20 firmware action, it's now online for you, bringing faster operation, Search, geotagging in Camera and more. See Nokia Software Update or check your on-device firmware updater with *#0000# etc.

Read on in the full article.

Old 25-03-2009, 02:17 PM
Administrator

Note that some people are reporting this only via NSU and not over the air.... Doubtless both will get in sync soon.

The real question is: where's v21 firmware to fix all the little slowdowns and niggles?

Old 25-03-2009, 02:35 PM
Unregistered

Nokia must now have server capacity to handle the updates for all the masses of reds that were sold. This product code business is a handy way of controlling and staggering the number of updates that will be downloaded at once to prevent overload of the update system.
However I, like many others, lost patience and changed product code weeks ago to get the update.

Old 25-03-2009, 03:06 PM
Unregistered

If your someone like me who purchased from Nokia Uk and had v10 on your phone then you can only update via Nokia care. The NSU update was pulled for v10 phones as due to a fault they crashed updating via NSU.
Once v11 or later is installed the fault is cleared and you can update normally.

Old 25-03-2009, 03:30 PM
Unregistered

I have just tried over the air update and it still says there is no update currently available.
How do you change product code?
Going to TRY NSU and see if that works.

Old 25-03-2009, 03:34 PM
Unregistered

Tested NSU and it says phone is not supported. What is Nokia care and how do I go about contacting them?

Old 25-03-2009, 03:53 PM

N/A is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Tested NSU and it says phone is not supported. What is Nokia care and how do I go about contacting them?
See the "Call or email Nokia Care" on http://europe.nokia.com/get-support-...are/contact-us

Old 25-03-2009, 04:30 PM
Administrator

Tzer2 is on a distinguished road
The general rule for getting support is:

-go to nokia.com/support

-choose your region to see your local Nokia site

-click on the support tab

Old 25-03-2009, 05:27 PM

UKJeeper is on a distinguished road
(don't know where else to put this, move it if you feel it should be moved)

Speaking of 5800 firmware, i was in the London flagship shop last night (again. i go there, a lot). I think its great that they have shedloads of 5800's powered up and ready to play with.

BUT...

All of the ones i checked were still on version 10 or 11. Hasn't there been several firmware updates since then, with great improvements made in most of the updates?

I could be talking through my seat, but if you're going to have all these phones out out for people to try out, shouldn't they be as up to date as possible to show what the phone CAN do? Not what it used to be able to do (slowly, unresponsively)? Example. Joe Punter; "It has I-Player? Really?!?! And you can store the shows for later, not just stream them?!?!?! WOW!"

And start having at least of the available apps installed on the these demo phones. Again, let people see what these devices can do.

It also sort of annoyed me that all those 5800's in the front windows were doing...nothing. Just the blank NOKIA on beige screensaver. Chuck some movies/music video's/(Ewans 5800 travelogue?) on those devices on a loop. Have the phones doing SOMETHING in the window. Even the rest of the non-5800 models inside have some kind of animated screensaver.

Perhaps its not fair that the 'fruit shop' is across the road, but it makes the flagship look dowdy in comparison. All their phones have shedloads of games, apps, music tracks, videos, etc on them (and are connected to the internet). No wonder 90% of high street browsers would be sucked in like moths to a flame.

Old 25-03-2009, 05:43 PM
Unregistered

UKJeeper, it's not possible to store BBC iPlayer shows for playing back later on th 5800. You can only stream over WiFi. That's true whatever version of firmware is installed.

Old 25-03-2009, 06:17 PM

UKJeeper is on a distinguished road
From what i've read, you can download iplayer shows onto the 5800.

http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/news/...r_now_comp.php

As you will read, even Steve thinks the DRM was enabled by a firmware update.

Old 25-03-2009, 06:20 PM

neilhoskins is on a distinguished road
So... "Search" is now present on the home screen, but selecting it just produces "System Error".

That's it. Never again. I'm not going to buy another Nokia device until it's been around for at least a year.

Old 25-03-2009, 06:54 PM
Mark Anderson

Search!

Like Neil I'm getting a bit pissed off by Nokia's shoddy QA. Search does indeed return a system error.
Ads

Old 25-03-2009, 07:14 PM

rickybobbie is on a distinguished road
"system error"

at neilhoskins and Mark Anderson. To fix the 'system error' search bug first pull out your memory card and run search. Replace the card and everything then works as normal

Old 25-03-2009, 07:19 PM
Administrator

And note that iPlayer 'Downloads' don't now work anymore - the BBC pulled the plug for reasons which I won't go into here....