All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 20-05-2009, 06:05 PM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Spv TV launches - and Full Review

Launched today by code masters Spb Software is Spb TV for S60 3rd Edition and 5th Edition. I've been using it for a day or two on my Nokia N95 and 5800 and here present a full and detailed review of Spb TV. Around 100 channels, 'picture in picture' channel switching, QVGA video streams, a TV Guide that in some cases works a week ahead, the works.

Read on in the full article.

Old 20-05-2009, 08:48 PM
Unregistered

iplayer over 3G

is easy to do and BBC offer a good amount of quality programming for UK based people.

The widget has a simple javascript file that can easily be edited to remove the block on 3G connectivity and even to add phones that it doesn't 'officially ' support ( my e90 for example )

its a utter godsend when shopping for stuff with a 4 year old who is happy to sit watching Cbeebies whilst me/SWMBO talk to the sales people.

Again, don't even think about it without a decent data package though!!!!!!

Old 20-05-2009, 08:48 PM

rvirga is on a distinguished road
Awesome! Simply awesome!
Ads

Old 20-05-2009, 11:25 PM

seki is on a distinguished road
Beer I found

Its a handset version of Live-station without the irc capabilities.

Its ok through wifi .. but just ok
.. over 3G it would be less than ok.
.. its an alternative to the carrier pay-for-TV options
.. if you're paying for bandwidth over 3G its expensive!

for a one off $14.95 (assumes upgrades are free) I don't think I'll bother.

Old 21-05-2009, 01:36 AM

chenliangchen is on a distinguished road
"The function is not supported" on N93i.

Shame! Neither BBC iplayer nor Spv TV. It's a nice phone for watching videos...

Old 21-05-2009, 02:53 AM
Unregistered

HELP !!
Payd 14.95$ and cannot change connection to Wi-Fi.
I dont want to pay 3G data!
How can i switch to wi-fi?
Thx

Old 21-05-2009, 07:54 AM

bobby68 is on a distinguished road
Hey Steve. You got the headline wrong, my rss-reader (and your headline) says Spv, it is Spb, right?

Old 21-05-2009, 09:56 AM

jApi NL is on a distinguished road
Smile Sbv-tv

Nice app ! The initial page is maybe amateurish , saying : wait 1-2 min (..%) . In between the (..) the downloading progress , though .
The .sis file goes fine on E90 , including choice of access point : Wifi or 3G , when Web is set to : " Always ask "
Regards jApi NL

Old 21-05-2009, 10:59 AM

FaizDaDon is on a distinguished road
Hmmmm....

Tried the trial version. Seems good.... but is there actually anything worth watching? Can anyone recommend any good channels?

Old 21-05-2009, 11:36 AM

Hooksym is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by FaizDaDon View Post
Tried the trial version. Seems good.... but is there actually anything worth watching? Can anyone recommend any good channels?
Hard to say. I couldn't tell from the trial, so I went ahead and bought it. I received a 20% discount because I had already purchased Spb Puzzle, and they offer a 30 day money back guarantee. I haven't had time yet to go through everything.

The implementation is way ahead of the content. It is not perfect, but this is very nearly THE way to execute TV on a handheld and for that alone they can have my $11 USD. The content is mostly stuff that is freely available, in many languages. There are certainly some interesting distractions here, but I'd love to see them pick up things like BBC. This is not Hulu, but it certainly could be. If they could get better content, I would even be willing to go to a subscription model.

For the small investment it's worth it as a "because I can" trick for your phone and worth supporting in hopes of seeing better content choices down the road.

Old 21-05-2009, 12:34 PM

neilhoskins is on a distinguished road
I don't see any BBC channels. Other stuff like Nasa and France 24 and Sky I've already got set up. I've installed the trial but it won't let me play anything without paying. They took my email address; are they going to email me a temporary reg code or something?

Old 21-05-2009, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
is easy to do and BBC offer a good amount of quality programming for UK based people.
<snip>
its a utter godsend when shopping for stuff with a 4 year old who is happy to sit watching Cbeebies whilst me/SWMBO talk to the sales people.
I don't see any BBC channels. I'm in UK but at work atm; maybe something to do with the firewall I'm behind...?

Old 21-05-2009, 01:00 PM

Hooksym is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilhoskins View Post
I don't see any BBC channels. Other stuff like Nasa and France 24 and Sky I've already got set up. I've installed the trial but it won't let me play anything without paying. They took my email address; are they going to email me a temporary reg code or something?
No, they actually say in their manual:

Quote:
The trial version (Lite) of Spb TV has a restricted number of channels and features that are available in the registered version (full). You can use the trial version only to check how Spb TV works. In order to watch all public channels, use the Calendar reminder feature, and manage the channels list, you need to purchase the license.
You really can't tell much from the trial. They do have a 30 day satisfaction guarantee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilhoskins View Post
I don't see any BBC channels. I'm in UK but at work atm; maybe something to do with the firewall I'm behind...?
I think unregistered eas referring to iplayer, not this program. See his post title.

Old 21-05-2009, 01:36 PM

NickAnstee is on a distinguished road
Steve,

Many thanks for the info, it works great on the E90, worth the 11 ish just to be able to watch Sky News etc on the fly.

Nick

Old 21-05-2009, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooksym View Post

I think unregistered eas referring to iplayer, not this program. See his post title.
So if I pay my $15, do I get BBC, or just the channels I can see dimmed-out in the trial version?