All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 19-04-2010, 04:41 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
1 million Ovi Store downloads for Numo Solutions (SMS Preview)

Numo Solutions, the developers of SMS Preview, have announced they have passed the 1 million download mark on Ovi Store. SMS Preview shows a preview of incoming text messages in a bubble that floats above other screen content for a user defined period of time. It provides an improvement over the built in 'new message alert', which only tells you that you have received a message. Numo Solutions say that SMS Preview is being used in more than 170 countries on 50 different types of handsets.

Read on in the full article.

Old 19-04-2010, 07:04 PM
VoReason

Hmmm, don't you find it funny that in all these PRs about the apparent success of the Ovi store, there are NEVER any figures about the number of PAID apps bought from the Ovi Store?

Hmmm.

Old 19-04-2010, 07:12 PM
Unregistered

The PR was posted by the developer, so why don't you ask them?

Old 19-04-2010, 09:10 PM

viipottaja is on a distinguished road
Do you have such numbers for any app store, published by the app store owner?

Old 19-04-2010, 09:47 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Such numbers are generally very commercially sensitive so it is unusual to see them released.

BTW a lot of the reasons for doing these posts is to highlight developers - hopefully people will enjoy hearing about application success (and it may push them to try something new out). Clearly they show Ovi Store in a good light too though.

Old 20-04-2010, 04:31 AM

malerocks is on a distinguished road
I agree with viipottaja. I am sure that even the famous and ideal app store (read for iphone) does not publish figures on how many of the downloaded apps are free and how many are paid for?
Ads

Old 20-04-2010, 07:42 AM

Ilgaz is on a distinguished road
1M needless international SMS sent too

For some strange, weird reason, "free" version sends an international SMS after being installed. Either they absolutely have no clue about network providers greed about SMS, especially international SMS or they are doing some real bad thing with the collected phone numbers.

I am not congratulating them for costing millions (yes, in dollars) needlessly over a simple application.

I posted this on Ovi comments but those little fascists there removed my comment, about month ago.

This application hitting 1M without a single warning/question from Nokia really shows what is wrong with Ovi Store. There are viruses/trojans which sends premium SMS, they were just coded for that purpose.

Old 20-04-2010, 07:48 AM

Ilgaz is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by VoReason View Post
Hmmm, don't you find it funny that in all these PRs about the apparent success of the Ovi store, there are NEVER any figures about the number of PAID apps bought from the Ovi Store?

Hmmm.
I may know the reason. For example, as every European developer, Symbian Geek guessed, Turkey (.TR) is one of the 6 (SIX) heavy users of Ovi Store and yet if you have a Turkish account, you can't BUY anything from Ovi Store. Paid applications won't even show up.

In contrast, Apple happily sells thousands of apps to Turkish users while they don't even set up a "music store", they know what kind of a dynamic market this is.

If there are developers who relies on Ovi Store, you are missing a smart phone market which has about 70% market share belongs to Symbian, for now. Unless people completely give up Nokia which I saw in many turkish comments. Ovi store itself became the reason why people gave up on Nokia, sad isn't it?

BTW; I am just hoping there isn't some real politically incorrect reason behind this "Don't sell to Turks" attitude. As they are really stupid to disallow Canadians to buy stuff too, I don't think there is some reason like that.