All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 22-04-2010, 07:37 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by anya View Post
When will the 5800 get a alphanumeric dialer? I don't get why this has not been updated yet. Many phone services require entering passwords which are alphanumeric. Not to mention dialling of phone nos which are 1-800-RENT-A-CAR or something like that.
This method of using alpha mnemonics to remember numbers is not that popular in Europe because it is flawed as although it helps a consumer remember a number it doesn't point to the best service for a consumer so I expect nobody thinks of adding it on to a European phone. Maybe they should think of adding it into NAM version though.

Old 22-04-2010, 09:03 AM
Unregistered

Thumbs up

Sweet Just updated my 0575590 device to the new firmware OTA. I was surprised since i didnt get the V40 fm for my code and had to follow the usual hack to change product code to install it in the first place.Looks pretty good so far. Already bought this device for my sister and now i am gifting the same to my sister in law. Cheers Nokia

Old 22-04-2010, 10:00 AM
Unregistered

Thumbs down My UK version still stuck to v 31.0.101

I have asked around many Nokia repair and none have offered to upgrade to anything more.
This is the only version available and if I chnge the code then I have no warranty. Where do you guys get theses phones with different codes that are updated regularly.
Why doesn't Nokia just not update all version at the same time rather then have staggered delivery.
Version 40 is out donkey's months but I cant still get it officially for my phone. Really disapointed with NOKIA.

Old 22-04-2010, 10:45 AM

Mnia786 is on a distinguished road
Quickoffice is availiable for 0598982 (Euro1 Red) if you flash with JAF... quickoffice is installed to C: and is fully removable. Good move from Nokia as not EVERYONE wants/needs quickoffice on their device so it will free up about 5mb on Z: (just about enough for ovi maps 3.03). God rid of mine as I dont edit docs on my 5800 (that is for my N97 :p)
Ads

Old 22-04-2010, 12:55 PM
Unregistered

I updated mine last night. Seems to me that the first screen rotation takes a long time to register, while subsequent ones are as quick as they used to be. Anyone else notice this ?

Old 22-04-2010, 01:03 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
'Hurriganes Music Player'
Improved music player, with Finnish relatives?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGCviZAdxeY

Old 22-04-2010, 01:37 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
I have asked around many Nokia repair and none have offered to upgrade to anything more.
This is the only version available and if I chnge the code then I have no warranty. Where do you guys get theses phones with different codes that are updated regularly.
Why doesn't Nokia just not update all version at the same time rather then have staggered delivery.
Version 40 is out donkey's months but I cant still get it officially for my phone. Really disapointed with NOKIA.
The whole warranty thing is not true. I've always changed my product codes and had no trouble with Nokia warranty. Most recently I had the garbled screen problem. Replaced under warranty without question. They DID change the product code back to the original, but I soon fixed that.

I think legally, if the warranty problem was unconnected with changing the product code, Nokia have no choice but to honour the warranty.

Old 22-04-2010, 02:05 PM
Unregistered

Bug found

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip.mk View Post
I found a bug after upgrade to v50. Apparently it is not possible to change the intensity of the haptic (vibration) feedback from touch screen. Iíve tried all levels from level1 to level3 (Settings > Personal > Profiles > General > Personalize > Touch screen vibration) and there was little to no difference. With previous releases Level 1 produced just slight but pleasant vibe, now it is too intensive with the same setting.
Now I've found that haptic feadback ceased to work with Accuweather. No vibration when using this app with the v50 release.

Old 22-04-2010, 05:48 PM
Unregistered

Agreed screen rotation seems less responsive to me and I already had screen rotation crash completely on me under V50.

Bad times, just discovered I can't connect to WLAN network with anymore. Correction, it connects but no data is transferred it just sits there never loading the web page, or the iplayer page.

This phone could be so sweet if the software would just work properly..god damn this!

Old 22-04-2010, 05:49 PM
Unregistered

Also I agree that the different haptic feed back levels (1, 2, 3) all feel the same to me.

Old 22-04-2010, 09:43 PM
Unregistered

Podcast workaround

Quote:
I hate the new music player. With v50 the podcast player lost important functionality: now you can only access podcasts by title.
I download about ten podcasts a day. Now, in order to play them back, I need to remember which ones, go to the corresponding folder and play the file. Once that one file has played, I need to change folder.

Before there were handy shortcuts like "recently added", "never played", "by date" etc. Please bring them back!!
... and while you're at it, add playlist functionality also to podcasts.

BTW: is there a way to downgrade the firmware (or just the music player) to v40. I regret so much having updated!!
I've found a workaround for this, which gives the playlist functionality and enables you to play your podcasts in any order you like.

In the music player, go to the podcasts section and navigate to the actual podcast files themselves. Under the options menu, select "episode details". Scroll to the bottom of the episode details and you will see a "library" entry. Select this, and change from "podcast" to "music". Accept the warning and your file will transfer to the main music library, from where you can add it to playlists.

I'll admit it requires some time-consuming manual intervention, but it gets round the issue.

Old 23-04-2010, 01:46 PM
Unregistered

Jimm

I have nokia5800xm CIS2 sens January last year, and i use often BT-wireless Stereo headset from iDream BTSH01, i had no problems before, but now sens i updated to this firmware... the screen rotating seem to be lazy a bit, and the music to BT-Wireless is distorting at the beginning of few songs, i have try also with Sony Stereo Amplifier that has BT-wireless receiver and is the same problem like disconnecting-distorting sound.

Old 24-04-2010, 02:25 PM
Unregistered

The other nokia s60v5 models also recieved a firmware update at the same time as the 5800.
5530 &5230
They are now at v20+

Old 28-04-2010, 07:58 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip.mk View Post
I found a bug after upgrade to v50. Apparently it is not possible to change the intensity of the haptic (vibration) feedback from touch screen. Iíve tried all levels from level1 to level3 (Settings > Personal > Profiles > General > Personalize > Touch screen vibration) and there was little to no difference. With previous releases Level 1 produced just slight but pleasant vibe, now it is too intensive with the same setting.
I also experience the same, the vibration settings really don't change the vibration intensity.
Otherwise thanks to Nokia for the constant support!

Old 03-05-2010, 04:14 AM
Unregistered

Bugs galore in 5800 - 50.0.005 update

I use my 5800 a lot and have run it through its paces since I updated to the latest firmware about 1 week ago. I have to say that a few small improvements have been outweighed but a load of bugs.

1. Phone is quite often unresponsive when moving in/out of apps and even in between its core menus, sometimes the screen is black through this, other times you can see the menu but nothing works. Time lag is sometimes in excess of 5 seconds, way to long to wait for a menu to appear.

2. I have seen my phone sitting on the table and it just reboots itself.

3. Scroll bar not working when in pictures/video gallery and the phone is in landscape mode. The scroll bar works fine in portrait mode.

4. Contact ringtones not consistent, in fact the phone for no apparent reason just plays another song as a contact's ringtone, and other times they ring, the correct ringtone is heard. This has only happened a couple of times, nonetheless, it never happened before.

5. The sensitivity of the screen rotate has been dulled down so much that sometimes you need to move it back and forth, up and down and wait for it to realise it is supposed to change from portrait to landscape and vice-versa. It reacts like a priimitive, clumsy phone, instead of a slick piece of technology it looked like being.

6. It also seems pressing buttons on the touch screen are now even more inconsistent, the web browser button to switch between full screen and menu buttons sometimes needs to be tapped about 5 times for it to work, other times you press a button and wait 3 seconds for the vibration feedback and for the function of the button to activate.

The things they have changed (music player, web browser etc) really don't do anything to drastically improve the experience of the phone, why isn't Noka listening to the users of these phones and giving people features that already exist in older phones, ie calendar entries related to contact birthdays, an easy to access clock when screen is locked etc and more than anything making it a phone that does its basic functions 100% spot on These updates v30-v40-v50 seem to be reducing the functionality of this phone, not improving it. I used to love my 5800, now with v50.0.005, I find I am being frustrated as much with it as anyone on the planet who uses microsoft windows. It would be interesting if anyone else is experiencing these problems.