All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 22-05-2009, 04:52 PM

vladthemilkman is on a distinguished road
Smile i8910 + Nokia N96 TV-Out cable works!!

Don't know if I'm the first to try this, but the TV-Out cable from my soon to be sold N96 works with the i8910 HD. Obviously its not HD, but better than nothing until we get a DNLA dongle!

Old 09-06-2009, 03:52 PM

rleader is on a distinguished road
Thanks for this info! (see my new thread on trying to get DLNA working through a PS3)
I don't really want to endorse anyone, but is this the cable and what resolution output do you get - 640x480, does it playback ok?
Might even my 1280x720 work?
http://www.simplyanythingshop.co.uk/...306-8268-p.asp
Just trying to figure out anyway I can get my i8910 camera vids to the TV _easily_!
Cheers again!

Old 09-06-2009, 09:34 PM

sciroccokid is on a distinguished road
I don't think it will word with HD, will it?

Old 14-06-2009, 06:19 PM

Cheers again Vlad! I just acquired one & it works!
Yes, not SD; but OK for an easy way to get 640x360 stretched across the 1920x1080 of the TV. Lots of interesting artifacts as the TV's video-processing circuits are working over time, but ok.
Also, the handset does feel more sluggish, as it is dealing with the output.
The TV-out's output still rotates 'live' from portrait to landscpe but lags a bit compared to the i8910's screen, which is fair enough though.
I note there are some options for the TV-out:
Menu -> Settings -> Device -> Enhancements -> TV-out
these are:
Active profile
TV size (widescreen/normal)
PAL / NTSC
The cable CA75-U can be picked up for ridiculously low prices - a few GBP - if you look online. Worth it IMO as you can at least see your widescreen pics in a few seconds on your TV, albeit at LOW resolution, rather than messing about with a computer and/or taking 5 mins fiddling about with DLNA/PS3 and waiting 10-15 secs for EACH image to stream over at 6 or 8MP.
The output cable is just composite video + R/L audio, from the 3.5mm jack. I had to cut away a little bit of the plastic near to the 3.5mm jack of the cable, as the Samsung i8910 handset obviously has a tighter, more recessed fit, into the headphones jack compared to the N95 etc.
Waiting for an HD cable (1280x720 I guess) to become available. Anyone able to help point me in right direction yet?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TV_out1.jpg
Views:	540
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	4469   Click image for larger version

Name:	TV_out2.jpg
Views:	532
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	4470   Click image for larger version

Name:	TV_out5.jpg
Views:	519
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	4473   Click image for larger version

Name:	TV_out6.jpg
Views:	538
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	4474   Click image for larger version

Name:	TV_out7.jpg
Views:	603
Size:	110.9 KB
ID:	4475  

Old 16-06-2009, 11:13 AM

BigCal is on a distinguished road
I have a cable from the N95 8GB but it doesn't work. Is there a modification I need to do?

When I plug it into the jack socket and switch my tv into AV mode (as I used to do with the N95) I get either no picture or the odd snippet of garbled image as if its just out of tuning range.

Any ideas?

Old 16-06-2009, 12:45 PM

Hi - is ur cable the Nokia branded CA75U?
This is what I am using, no problems - although it is a close fit into the i8910's jack - see my post above about removing some of the black plastic around the cable's tip to aid the fit. Perhaps it is not going far enough into the i8910's 3.5 mm jack to make a good signal connection (?). In any case, take care with ur gear
http://shop.nokia.co.uk/nokia-uk/pro...GB&sku=3870337
or
http://shop.ebay.co.uk/items/?_nkw=ca75u
for a better deal.

Old 17-06-2009, 09:38 AM

BigCal, my Nokia branded CA75-U cable is indeed a delicate fit. i too see garbled or blank screen on occasion, if i wave the i8910 about with the cable attached, but holding the cable and keeping it pushed into the i8910 jack with your hand stops this from happening... not ideal... but better than nothing. i have seen a youtube vid of some demo where it appears the micro usb port is hooked up to a tv via hdmi ... anyone have any news on this yet?
Ads

Old 23-06-2009, 03:33 PM

bawjkt is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by rleader View Post
BigCal, my Nokia branded CA75-U cable is indeed a delicate fit. i too see garbled or blank screen on occasion, if i wave the i8910 about with the cable attached, but holding the cable and keeping it pushed into the i8910 jack with your hand stops this from happening... not ideal... but better than nothing. i have seen a youtube vid of some demo where it appears the micro usb port is hooked up to a tv via hdmi ... anyone have any news on this yet?
Thanks for those snaps of TV+out. It is as furry as I expected...a bit disappointing.

re "appears the micro USB port is hooked up to a TV via HDMI"...do you see both ends of the cable and specifically the HDMI end entering a TV?

because otherwise it could easily be simply charging the phone via USB, and outputting video via DLNA and the dongle.

do you have the link?

Do not overlook other "image out" solutions for Symbian like ImageExpo or Mobiola, via cable, WiFi, or Bluetooth in decreasing order of speed.

These put a pixel for pixel image of your phone screen on your PC screen, which I then send up on the wall with a projector. Much cleaner than the TV out. The cable connection and ImageExpo delivers about one second delay from my E70. Have not tried it with the i8910 - maybe unavailable for S60 5th?

At two meters across on the wall, Symbian never looked so good.
Crisp VGA+grade image albeit only at screen resolution.
But no holding the TV cable with your hand either.
Or you can go via WiFi through a WiFi accesspoint and get maybe a two second delay, but no hands or cables. Worth a shot.

BTW I bought a 16GB i8910 here in Norway last week, latest firmware installed.

I believe the fastest solution for viewing content from the phone is via the MicroSD. Pop the card and put it in a SD adapter which pops into the slot on your laptop.

Fastest read/writes possible that way. Anyone care to test how much faster this is than going via the USB cable?

Ben

Old 24-06-2009, 02:21 PM

Shigawire is on a distinguished road
Omnia HD

I also received my Omnia HD today here in Norway

It was a good move to go from Nokia N95 to this one..

Now I'm looking for a way to connect the phone to a TV via HDMI preferrably.