All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 08-12-2009, 07:20 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by daos View Post
If device costs more then 400$ - it is not mainstream anyway and never will be. But this is not the issue. 8 from 10 of mentioned Musings are common to most of the smartphones to the date, so they are not unique of Omnia. Therefore we have misleading conclusions here.
iPhone not mainstream then?

This8910 phone is not especially expensive and will be had for free with contract (at least it is in the UK with Orange on a very average contract). It's a mainstream choice, any device that has a sim-free price of 400-500 UK pounds can be had for free. There is nothing particularly special about phones with gps, cameras, browsers, email and social networking apps. They are all mainstream functions and these are mainstream devices. Steve is right to consider these devices with a broad perspective.

Old 08-12-2009, 08:19 PM
Unregistered

Your assessment of the i8910 is spot-on Steve.

You hit it spot on Steve. I sold my Nokia 5800 and went out of my way to buy an i8910 primarily because it had a relatively large screen. My old eyes were much happier with 640x360 resolution on a 3.7" screen as opposed to the 5800's 3.2" screen. So far I am relatively happy with the i8910 but I have no doubt it is destined to be an orphan. If Nokia had a comparable unit at the time there is no doubt I would have bought the Nokia. Symbian is a side-show for Samsung, whereas Symbian is Nokia's bread and butter. I get the sense that Samsung has already abandoned this handset, and I think we all know deep down that we will never see a kinetic scrolling update as was released by Nokia. Meanwhile, Nokia is still releasing firmware updates for my wife's 2-year-old N95. Having experienced Samsung's spotty support first-hand, I doubt very much that I will buy another one. I don't want to have to resort to hacks to do basic things such as turning off turn-on and shut-down sounds.

Old 08-12-2009, 08:59 PM

Tenkom is on a distinguished road
If apple wouldn't have updated the original iphone owners of those devices couldn't acces the appstore and apple would lose alot of money. It's not because they are "nice".

It's also much easier for apple to release software updates since every iphone runs virtually the same rom with no operator customization. Kudos to apple for strongarming the operators like that by the way. I am extremely glad that nokia has pulled off the same trick with the n900 which I'm typing this on.

Old 08-12-2009, 11:14 PM
Devils_Advoc

"If apple wouldn't have updated the original iphone owners of those devices couldn't acces the appstore and apple would lose alot of money. It's not because they are "nice".

It's also much easier for apple to release software updates since every iphone runs virtually the same rom with no operator customization. Kudos to apple for strongarming the operators like that by the way. I am extremely glad that nokia has pulled off the same trick with the n900 which I'm typing this on."

I'm sorry I don't agree with you, if that were the case then why not leave iPhone 2G users with the 2.0 software? Or make them pay for it like they do iPod Touch users? Or even give them things like copy + paste or improvements to email?

I'm not saying it's JUST because they're nice, but it's not JUST because they want to make money :-) Which I'm afraid right now can't be said for Nokia, who wouldve most likely left the "Dreaded" N97 the way it was if it weren't for the massive (Uh, except for AllAboutSteve) coverage it's problems received ;-)

Old 09-12-2009, 06:57 AM

Tenkom is on a distinguished road
Many apps are incompatible with the older iphone softwares. So you really can't use the app store with 2.0 software. I tried on my itouch. Remember. Apple gets 30% of app sales. And the vast majority of iphone users still have the old 3g.

Old 09-12-2009, 11:57 AM

daos is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
iPhone not mainstream then?

This8910 phone is not especially expensive and will be had for free with contract (at least it is in the UK with Orange on a very average contract). It's a mainstream choice, any device that has a sim-free price of 400-500 UK pounds can be had for free. There is nothing particularly special about phones with gps, cameras, browsers, email and social networking apps. They are all mainstream functions and these are mainstream devices. Steve is right to consider these devices with a broad perspective.
So by your definition a phone with "gps, cameras, browsers, email and social networking apps" is mainstream?! Then so is Vertu
Ads

Old 09-12-2009, 04:02 PM

clonmult is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneruleofthumb View Post
"Nope, its purely a business decision, not particularly evil - they're in the business of selling phones, and in their eyes and possibly the eyes of their shareholders, its not a good business decision to allow older devices access to functionality available on newer phones."

Why don't you tell that to Apple? They seem to do fine by providing update after update FREE OF CHARGE to iPhone 2G users since 2007 :-)
But they have clear differentials between the models in the range - Nokia on the other hand do not. Nokia primarily seem to differentiate otherwise very similar models by firmware and minor functionality differences.

And of course Apple didn't offer the v3 firmware for free to iPod Touch users.

You could also argue that Apple was just retrofitting funtionality that should have always been there in the first place - cut/paste, MMS, App Store (all of which were available on Nokias for a few years before - although everyone understandably ignored the App Store).

Also Nokia have been releasing update after update for their phones as well, offering some functional improvements as well as bug fixes. N73 added A2DP, N85 v20 added the "lob phone across the room to switch off the alarm" functionality.

Incidentally, talking of the App Store, I finally installed Ovi on my N85. What an utter waste of space. Useless. Slow. Horrible interface. I am definitely not a Nokia Fanboi