All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 08-01-2010, 01:31 PM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Review: Nokia X6 - Part 2: The Music

Ewan continues his multipart look at the new Nokia X6 Comes with Music with, appropriately, a look at its music playing prowess - and sometimes the lack of it, with bugs, memory leaks, missing functions and unwanted clicks... See also part 1 of this review, looking at the X6's externals.

Read on in the full article.

Old 08-01-2010, 02:02 PM
Unregistered

Another fail

Nokia, same old story, last gen hardware, beta firmware, ancient OS.

It's laughable that the only modern phone Nokia has doesn't even run Symbian (N900).

Seriously 128mb ram in a 2010 smartphone, the competition have moved on to 512mb ram with dedicated graphics acceleration and at least 500mhz + cpu's.

Old 08-01-2010, 02:09 PM
Unregistered

Thumbs down Ian22

Seems we have another disappointing, unfinished product from Nokia... They had one year to improve on 5800 and apparently wasted that time.
Is it only me, or the external design is ugly? It screams "I am a CHEAP phone"...

Old 08-01-2010, 02:11 PM

raffmonster is on a distinguished road
It was obvious

I had mentioned it in the discussion pertaining to the first part of the review that launching a new service coupled with a device is a little dicey. Anyways, Nokia have always had clunky, unpredictable data delivery systems. First the Download! app,then the OVI store and now comes with music. I insist , It would've been a million times better if they offered buyers an album of their choice. With CwM,Nokia have clearly gone way too optimistic and made an attempt to promise more than they could actually deliver

And, eh.. Crossfading'... ,Uninterrupted play.... It was present in the Ipod and Iphone aeons ago.Shame to see Nokia losing out on innovation and resting on its 2007ish laurels.

A possible method to have uninterrupted play is to trim(the blank parts from) tracks from start and end(feature available in music editors)but,this would again require modification of original file which,the DRM protected Nokia Music Files may not allow.

Last edited by raffmonster; 08-01-2010 at 02:16 PM.

Old 08-01-2010, 02:12 PM
Yves

Thumbs down

dear god... Nokia really should know since the desaster with the N97 that Symbian 5th needs at MINIMUM 256 mb ram! Why do they ignore this with the mini and the X6? It's a fact and not only some blahblah-wish from some PowerUsers. I was seriously thinking about replacing my N97 with the X6 (I like the design and the missing hardware keyboard), but nope. Nokia, change this NOW or forget it.

Old 08-01-2010, 02:15 PM

Nemoi is on a distinguished road
After the n97, i will never ever buy a device that does not have at least 256 MB of Ram. And if Nokia is not careful, they will push away even there more loyal customers. A lot of the bad reviews for recent Symbian devices is at least 50% due to outdated and insufficient hardware.

Old 08-01-2010, 02:18 PM

colinward is on a distinguished road
What does the "back" button do?

If you hit "back" from the now playing screen, does it take you to the homescreen every time, or back to the song listing?

It used to take you to the song listing but now it always goes to the homescreen, which doesn't seem quite right to me.

Old 08-01-2010, 02:29 PM
Unregistered

Dear Nokia, please please please listen to your loyal customers. The feedback channels are there for you to improve on your recent 'misses'. I was a proud a loyal Nokia user for the past 12 years but after switching to iPhone last month I can help but understand what all the hype is all about. Usability and simplicity. Nokia used to be the king of these two factors way back then but now it's a totally different story. Unless Nokia reinvents itself on those two fronts I think I and many others like myself would be hard pressed to return to our ex favourite phone brand.

Old 08-01-2010, 02:32 PM
markilou

Angry

yeah, I guess expecting the latest XM to handle music well would be like expecting the E72 to let you read emails...

I know both E71 and 5800 also had their own bugs & irritations when they were launched but what we're seeing with the latest models is a disaster.

Old 08-01-2010, 02:46 PM
Unregistered

Decision made then. 2008 design iPhone 3 for me it is. 222 from tesco with 20/12months unlimited internet.

Old 08-01-2010, 02:58 PM

raffmonster is on a distinguished road
Spot on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by markilou View Post
yeah, I guess expecting the latest XM to handle music well would be like expecting the E72 to let you read emails...

I know both E71 and 5800 also had their own bugs & irritations when they were launched but what we're seeing with the latest models is a disaster.
If a device does not do what it is supposed/advertised to do ,then why bother launching it and then promising firmware updates that will enable it to do so.

N97 v10 wasn't able to do most of the advertised things on v10 firmware, Ages later on the arrival of the v2.0 update, It does most of the promised things, even then, not all of them.

I know, it will not even be a month after release before X6 users start demanding Multi touch/Pinch zooming et al in the new firmware.

If Nokia is so bogged down so as to launch unfinished and unpolished devices,
then ,it may be beneficial to polish the already neglected flagships(N97,N86,5800etc.).

just my 2 cents, I'm not a Nokia hater, But the recent quality issues with its new devices make me sick.

Old 08-01-2010, 03:17 PM

snoFlake is on a distinguished road
Errmmmmm after all my postings starting by querying the N97 harwdware (back in Jul2008) and receiving loads of assurances from AAS team that things would get optimised platform to actually having one of the nightmare weee beasties and living with the disappointment of it. I cannot believe (but somehow so can) they've doen it again by putting bare minimum hardware (actually below min) in again.

I seriously think Nokia have actually forgotten how to make phones and have lost the plot on OS's whilst they try to corner the world in services and take on Google, Facebook, iTunes and worldwide app developers single handedly (not going very well). I think the mapower resources this is sucking in as they try to fend off the world is denuding the handset divisions to such an extent that they are in severe danger of becoming irrelevant in their core activity.

Un-freakin-believable
Ads

Old 08-01-2010, 03:29 PM
scully

weak phones

X6 or E72 all the way up to N97.. just a weak lineup!

Nokia is weak in all the segments right now to compete, the only reason they sell so many phones is because of their brand recognition, thats it. Once the consumers find out that what they're buying is not on par with the competition they will run in masses and never look back!

X6 is so expensive for what it offers, namely a huge headache, it should come with all the CwM music collection pre-installed on the device DRM-free to justify the price.

E72's email client is so laughable that even the free flash gmail app is better to use.

How about, the E-series is supposed to be all business right? Well if you try using the build in calender or contact app, its just pure anti-business! If you want to remember your client's birthdays which are stored in your contacts guess what your calender wont know it and there is no way to tell the calender go and import all birthdays. If you search for a contact and you only remember his company name, well guess what your all business phone wont know you're looking for a business because it only searches the names of your contacts!

Ovi maps is so laughable that it should pay you to use it, not the other way around considering that Google Maps is free to install und much better to use. The Navigation part is not bad, it should be free though.

Their chat app is so laughable i had to immediately uninstall it.

Their touch screens are so ridiculous, if you want to use the N97/mini and all their touch screen phones for that matter, you better sharpen your nail on your index finger and make it pointy in the middle otherwise the phone wont properly recognize when you try to touch it.

I used to like Nokia because they were leading the market, nowadays, they're stuck in the past. They can't fire their senior engineers who are clueless with todays technology demands because they once were actually leaders and helped Nokia get to where they are now, and now the same people who helped it get there will take them down.

Nokia fire your top designers and engineers because for the past 3years they have shown no results, they're old and stuck in the old ways. Get some fresh blood in there and let them make some bold moves.

Old 08-01-2010, 05:16 PM

davekolmer is on a distinguished road
Disappointed

Thanks for a great and honest review, Ewan. I'm one of the few loyal Nokia and S60 fans (and former Psion fanatic) in the US. I'm still using my trusty Nokia 6120c, but have been looking for a replacement for awhile now in the Nokia lineup, and just don't see any I want to buy. I had high hopes for the X6, but it's clear Nokia has lost its edge. N900 may be the possible exception, but I doubt Maemo will ever gain as large a developer base or following as iPhone or Android. After years with Nokia, my next phone will probably be Nexus One (or Nexus Two?). I agree with previous posts...Nokia needs a company-wide shakeup and severe re-focusing of it's vision and efforts.

Old 08-01-2010, 05:29 PM
Finally

Can I just be the first to say:

Thank you Ewan! FINALLY a reviewer at AAS who's not afraid of telling the TRUTH about a product and actually HELPING people with an honest opinion! I get the feeling if Litchfield were doing this review it'd go along the lines of "The X6 is an amazing triumph for Nokia!" *In very teeny tiny writing* "By the way it has pretty bad hardware and some poor music options but don't worry, you can't whine because Nokia will fix it in 3 months time!"

Again, thank you Ewan for this unbiased review series so far, please, and I mean PLEASE keep this up :-)