All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 14-06-2010, 07:41 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
AAS Insight 122 - Nokia 5228, screens, Baidu and more

In All About Symbian Insight 122, we share the best of the previous week's news: Expedia hotel booking in Ovi Maps, Nokia 5228, Nokia Notifications and Tesco's Clubcard application. Steve shares his thoughts on the visibility of various screen technologies in bright sunlight, including a hands-on with Super AMOLED, and Rafe explains last week's Symbian Baidu tie up. Finally, the team discuss the launch of the iPhone 4 and the high-end device landscape. You can listen to AAS Insight 122 here or, if you wish to subscribe, here's the RSS feed.

Read on in the full article.

Old 14-06-2010, 02:38 PM
suju_k

Talking Apples and Oranges

Listened to this podcast just to get Rafe’s view on the iPhone launch.

I must confess it was on expected lines. When comparing Nokia and Apple we must not forget that Apple was the new kid on the Block. Also it was Apple who revolutionized the user-interface and brought along the developers and made the Average Joe to love the Smartphone. The combination of Capactive TouchScreen, Finger Fiendly icons and a market place has now become standards for other vendors to get inspired from. Not to forget that fact that they release their phones within 3-weeks of announcing it. There is a lot learn from the Apple Way.

Having said that the N8 is a very compelling device, its best attraction the price point. It’s like a high end 5800 which will change digital photography and home entertainment for ever.
Final thoughts: Comparing Apple and Nokia is like comparing Apple’s and Oranges. They are fundamentally different and compete with each other in only a small segment where Apple is the defending champ.
Ads

Old 15-06-2010, 11:55 AM
Unregistered

Ovi maps and Expedia

Hi Guys,

Just listening to podcast. Expedia is in the more options.

Cheers,

Kevin McIntyre

Old 15-06-2010, 09:01 PM
Unregistered

I see you have now fixed the slow download speed, Steve's phone show chat and this AAS podcast were fast for downloading, hopefully all future podcasts will be the same...
Cheers.

Old 15-06-2010, 10:47 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by suju_k View Post
Listened to this podcast just to get Rafe’s view on the iPhone launch.
Did think about spending more time on the iPhone 4, but there's already been a lot of commentary on it elsewhere.

Didn't really go into much detail, but as I said what I find interesting is there's a lot more all round parity around high end devices than 2 years ago. Clearly there are still some important differences too.

I think you're right about Apple creating something that others want to copy, but I feel it just as important that this works both ways (and something a lot of commentators ignore). You can get hung up on the invented somewhere else argument (FaceTime), but at the same time it is still germane.

And I actually feel its better to say than Apple has presented existing ideas in a more user friendly way to a relatively small segment of the market. And I strongly feel this is what others should try to do (not just copy Apple) - that's why, incidentally, I think MeeGo could be very interesting.

The problem Apple faces is that is has to keep doing this - otherwise it will be caught by other with better logistics / operations / distribution. I think this means Apple faces a danger being squeezed - this is fairly typical issue for a new market entrant facing incumbents several years on (rather reminds me of Dyson vacuum cleaners). The other issue is of cost around cost - and the fact Apple targets a relatively small proportion of the market. I was surprised to not see more addressing this issue this time round.

When commenting on this its hard not to be a bit critical of the general hype around Apple. It's not undeserved - it's more a case of the fact that people should also pay attention elsewhere - that would be more balanced. And yes I also find the need of many to directly compare Apple and Nokia annoying without any context irritating.

Side note: On the launch 3 weeks later - yes Apple can do this, but its because of they way they do their products and their relationship with operators (i.e. the operator asks Apple how high they would like them to jump). This isn't ever going to be possible for Nokia because it operates in a different way. Nokia don't announce 3 months ahead of time because they want to, they do because they have to.