All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 04-03-2010, 03:08 PM

clonmult is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalel17 View Post
It is not ram but the flash disk. I think you get a 2gb card with the phone
Maybe stateside, but not in the UK. UK models come with ....

- battery
- charger
- a pair of seriously lousy headphones (amongst the worst I've ever tried)
- plectrum thing (which I do like, i should try it on my guitar)
- my (black) model also came with secondary back - in pink

- No USB cable
- no memory card

But then I've got plenty of USB cables and probably more memory cards than I can realistically use!

Old 04-03-2010, 06:49 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Nokia have always done well with the fundamentals that are normally overlooked for superficial eye candy.
When you're paying a few hundred pounds/euro/dollars for a smart phone, some nice eye candy is appreciated.

Old 04-03-2010, 08:57 PM

Quote:
When you're paying a few hundred pounds/euro/dollars for a smart phone, some nice eye candy is appreciated.
It can be nice to have some eye candy ... but maybe I'm old fashioned - I prefer the fundamentals to be right, which is what Nokia tend to get right (not always though).

To be honest a few hundred /$$ for a phone isn't a lot - I wouldn't expect the same sort of eye candy on a 100 phone than I would on a 500 device.

Although this is where Nokia have effectively fallen - the 5230, 5530, 5800, X6 and N97 are all the same basic phone under the skin, with artificial constraints on the firmwares. Why no homescreen widgets on anything below the N97? Why no complete kinetic scrolling on anything bar the latest N97 firmwares? They've got partial kinetic scrolling on later 5800 firmwares, strikes me that the 5800 is going to be one of the few Nokias to go to a v5 firmware.

Old 04-03-2010, 11:45 PM
Unregistered

Was it really necessary to down check the camera further than the 5800 in addition to shutting down the Wi-Fi?
Yes, it's cheaper but not that much.
Adjusting the 3G band on the 5800 radio might have been a better move for both Nokia and T-Mobile

Old 05-03-2010, 07:49 AM

hisyamhalim is on a distinguished road
This is great news indeed

The fact that T-Mobile allows Ovi Store means that they finally realize its better to work with Nokia instead of trying to make their own app store & control the UI (e.g. Vodafone 360).

Operator billing is the way to go for operator to earn extra revenue and providing the best network service (voice & data) is the best way to capture loyalty (not hype, egotistical branding). The sooner telcos realize this the better it is for everyone.

Its funny reading the comments (internal memory limit of 70MB problem?, this is not the iPhone, son. The ROTW been adding/changing/swapping memory card since 2003), there's a great divide between what people think about Nokia phones (esp. from USA) than what people in the ROTW knows because they use the phones for a long time.
Ads

Old 05-03-2010, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Was it really necessary to down check the camera further than the 5800 in addition to shutting down the Wi-Fi?
Yes, it's cheaper but not that much.
Adjusting the 3G band on the 5800 radio might have been a better move for both Nokia and T-Mobile
In the UK the 5800 and 5230 are at totally different price points. The 5230 is sub 100, the 5800 is still around 200. Half the price for 98% of the functionality. Its a damn good deal.

All that the 5800 adds over the 5230 is wifi and a slightly less lousy camera. To some that may be worth spending twice as much, but not all. If you can get a decent data tariff, the 5230 equals the 5800 on most counts.

Old 08-03-2010, 12:26 AM
Unregistered

In the US a 5800 may be purchased for ~ $ 250 or less, the 5230 is listed at $179.
The navigation edition ~ $ 25 more.
For a savings of less than $ 75, you get a poorer camera and no Wi-Fi. Slightly off topic, does the TV-Out work on the 5230?
The 5230 sold through T-Mo really isn't that good a deal for the consumer. Nokia and T-Mo? Maybe but not for me, Joe User, T-Mo consumer. T-Mo is habitually getting slightly less than the best on the majority of their phones and the tops in class, on par with others for economy of scale which makes sense when you're operating on a tight, disciplined business margin.
Don't get me wrong, I enjoy both T-Mo and have owned - and still do own - Nokia phones.
The 5800 on T-Mo would be an excellent fit for consumers at little more cost than the 5230 but I suspect the margins just aren't there for T-Mo, other carriers and Nokia.

Old 09-03-2010, 08:39 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
In the US a 5800 may be purchased for ~ $ 250 or less, the 5230 is listed at $179.
The navigation edition ~ $ 25 more.
For a savings of less than $ 75, you get a poorer camera and no Wi-Fi. Slightly off topic, does the TV-Out work on the 5230?
The 5230 sold through T-Mo really isn't that good a deal for the consumer. Nokia and T-Mo? Maybe but not for me, Joe User, T-Mo consumer. T-Mo is habitually getting slightly less than the best on the majority of their phones and the tops in class, on par with others for economy of scale which makes sense when you're operating on a tight, disciplined business margin.
Don't get me wrong, I enjoy both T-Mo and have owned - and still do own - Nokia phones.
The 5800 on T-Mo would be an excellent fit for consumers at little more cost than the 5230 but I suspect the margins just aren't there for T-Mo, other carriers and Nokia.
5800 doesnt do tmo 3g.

Old 09-03-2010, 11:45 AM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Its probably worth remembering that $70 and $179 are the launch prices for T-Mobile. I would expect them to come down in the not too distant future... even at launch I'm sure you'll be able to get the phone fo free through retailers like Amazon.com etc.

Old 11-03-2010, 01:52 PM
Unregistered

"5800 doesnt do tmo 3g."
Which brings us back to to the original statement that T-Mo 3G on the 5800 would be a better customer experience at a cost akin to that published for retail through T-Mo.
Rafe, I've no doubt there will be discounted promotions through other vendors as opposed to pricing directly through T-Mo's newer month to month plans* which charge full retail for handsets.
However, the consumer up-front savings in the differences between the 5230 and 5800 in the US aren't really that great with the remainder primarily going to the vendor.
3G is pretty sweet through T-mo and is coming on nicely but traveling has forced myself and others to live with lesser speeds and/or more SIM's so Wi-Fi is pretty key to keeping costs down as Ewan may be finding out in his challenge. Real world overall consumer savings on technology are typically realized with higher up-front investments between early adopter and budget price points. Case in point - interested in polling those still satisfied with N82's? Owners may want something new but the value is still there after a few years and continues to improve the longer the device remains in use.
On the other hand, as a vendor who has produced a loss leader or two for market share, one comes to recognize that somewhere along the line, a company has to make money to stay in business so the 5230 vs. 5800 is one approach. As it stands, the 5230 is almost perfectly positioned as a throw away smart device with low entry costs to the consumer, a modest return for the vendor and significant drawbacks for long term usage which in turn promote further investment.
Answering the question of the decision by T-Mo to offer a downgraded 5800, the Nokia smart/dumb phones available through US carriers - 5230, 6790, 3711, 7705 - to name but a few, all speak to OEM pricing and agreement structures being below the profit threshold for what is arguably a short-term, limited and unfriendly market here in the US.
Niche transition devices such as the N900 show alternatives for breaching the US market by using the carrier as little more than a vehicle for doing so. It would be interesting to see what the internals look like between the 5230 and N900.

* Which I'm personally happy as a clam with by the way - one flat fee for a desired level of service and whatever I choose to pay for a phone is a real relief

Old 15-06-2010, 06:25 PM
Unregistered

Any other colors for Nokia 5230 Nuron?

As a satisfied T-Mobile customer looking to upgrade their phone, I am very interested in the Nokia 5230 Nuron. Except that it is only available in WHITE!!! Does anyone know if there are plans to release a BLACK or GREY 5230 Nuron?