Old 10-06-2009, 07:46 PM

Albie999 is on a distinguished road
Do tell more

Old 10-06-2009, 07:57 PM

scoopex is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie999 View Post
Do tell more
Just took 5 minutes to install and it got rid of all that Orange branding, you can even reflash the Orange firmware back over it if you need to.

Last edited by scoopex; 10-06-2009 at 08:31 PM.

Old 10-06-2009, 08:52 PM
Super Moderator

stuclark is on a distinguished road
I'm going to be doing a big comparison review on the main site in the next couple of days... in the meantime, everything you need is available at www.share4gsm.com

PLEASE NOTE:Doing this WILL invalidate your warranty!

Old 11-06-2009, 06:43 AM

rleader is on a distinguished road
Hello Stuclark, scoopex - many thanks for this update. I will not be doing this as I use my handset for professional purposes and wish to keep the warranty intact on my Orange UK handset. Can you report whether any changes have been made on the movie recording mode re: AMR codec?

Old 11-06-2009, 08:43 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rleader View Post
Hello Stuclark, scoopex - many thanks for this update. I will not be doing this as I use my handset for professional purposes and wish to keep the warranty intact on my Orange UK handset. Can you report whether any changes have been made on the movie recording mode re: AMR codec?
I'll go through all of that in my review, but quickly.... video recording is still AMR, but the audio sync. even in HD mode, is now pretty spot on! (if you remember, this was an issue with the i8510 and early i8910 firmwares, and I suspect is one reason that Samsung plumped for AMR as the audio codec)

There's many other changes which are very good

Old 11-06-2009, 09:58 AM

rleader is on a distinguished road
Hello. Yes, I agree with you - this handset is fantastic in almost all (90%+) of what it does, and yes, it is 'only' a mobile... but look at Samsung's i8910 website, as of today. This is what they want people to read before ordering the i8910:

"Shoot life's craziest moments in high definition without carrying your video camera everywhere. The I8910 HD captures memories and doesn't sacrifice quality. It's the world's first mobile phone with a real HD video camera built right in—one of the most advanced devices ever made. Share live video as you shoot it or wait and play it for friends on your HD home theatre system with wireless DLNA. Best yet, there's no converting of files. Now it's easy to show and tell, in full HD."

Sure, one can dismiss this as marketing hype, but then why didn't I keep my current handset? :-) or buy a mobile for 10gbp in carphonewarehouse! *smile*

I look forward to your review: Could I be so bold as to ask you to comment in your review on your opinion of this "Full HD" output? To me Full HD is 1920x1080(i/p). Now, HD-ready is 1280x720. Could you advise me how to share the i8910 movies by DLNA? Will you consider the .mp4s to be of sufficient quality to leave your HD camcorder at home, as per the marketing above? I have owned camcorders for almost two decades, and even the first one had not even a hint of lip-sync problems.

Well, here's an update - I have spoken to Samsung customer services for ~one hour in total, and to several different people. They provided an excellent service and I encourage anyone reading this post to interact with them if needs be. However, they themselves were unable to advise me on how I can successfully achieve the above. They confirmed they had received other consumers comments relating to the above advertised features. They advised me to wait for a firmware update, which may or may not be relevant to my Orange branded handset, and may or may not improve the current movie recording / DLNA connectivity, whilst passing on my detailed comments to their relevant departments. At this time, they were also unable to provide me with part numbers for any Wireless DLNA dongle, HDTV-out cable and could not confirm if any of these solutions actually worked.

My view is that when I have to justify 500+gbp, I do care, especially when it is for professional productivity and the handset is a premium product advertised in the above fashion. This is not trivial money to me or any company and I expect a certain level of quality. If other people don't mind, and buy this product for other purposes, then that's cool by me, too!
I always give my full feedback to companies I deal with as this is what pushes technology and customer service forward.

All the best!

Old 22-06-2009, 03:09 PM

simba is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoopex View Post
Just took 5 minutes to install and it got rid of all that Orange branding, you can even reflash the Orange firmware back over it if you need to.

where can you get the orange fw from?

im sending mine back for replacement due to a stuck pixel and iv debranded it

Old 22-06-2009, 03:59 PM

ut666 is on a distinguished road
@Simba:
get the UK firmware from here, www.share4gsm.com.
I read in another forum that it is the orange one. Worth a try...
see this post: http://samsungi8910omnia.com/forum/o...910-firmwares/

@Albie999:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEEpo...=http%3A%2F%2F

And people please support share4gsm, as without them you wouldn't be unbranded, get your firmwares from them directly,
do not feed the losers re-packaging and trying to make money..

ut.

Last edited by ut666; 22-06-2009 at 04:05 PM.

Old 23-06-2009, 04:50 PM

Tenkom is on a distinguished road
If I do this to an already unbranded retail handset will it upgrade to the IE6 firmware?

Old 23-06-2009, 11:39 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenkom View Post
If I do this to an already unbranded retail handset will it upgrade to the IE6 firmware?
Yes, of course this will all work... but which firmware do you have on your phone already? Some unbranded versions have shipped with IE7, which is obviously newer than IE6

Old 24-06-2009, 05:44 AM

I have ie4. But it doesn't matter cause I can't download it because I don't remember my paypal password. Bummer. I'll have to wait until samsung can get the phone update software working. Currently it just says that my phone is unsupported.

Old 11-07-2009, 06:01 PM

arbiter909 is on a distinguished road
Unhappy :s

i have this phone on contract with orange, i know this may sound silly and i know its an expensive phone, but if i debrand it will it affect my contract?
Ads

Old 11-07-2009, 07:45 PM

moggsy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I have this phone on contract with orange, i know this may sound silly and i know its an expensive phone, but if i debrand it will it affect my contract?
There's loads of people who've debranded and have had to send back their i8910 (for the usual various probs you tend to get with any phone...) but have just re-flashed to the original FW, and it's as if it was shop-bought.....

Out of curiosity more than anything, I re-flashed mine back to the Orange FW and it was like the first time I switched I ever turned this phone on afterwards.....same widgets etc..!

Infact, mine's been on the original Orange FW for about a week or more....and TBH, I can't see a LOT of difference with the unbranded ones (apart from the diff Widgets - which I never use now anyway...)

Now the new FW's out though, I might flash it again as I have seen the Photo Gallery bug where there's loads of un-deletable icons in the past...but at the moment, they're not there....when/If they re-appear, I'll try the new FW.....

Old 12-07-2009, 12:37 PM

I managed to get the new firmware. Can't really see much difference. Browser is fast. But then it always was after a hard reset. I'm sure the video audio quality has improved. But then again I don't really care about it. I hope the browser won't get slow again. Still getting an iphone by the end of the month. I can't forgive whoever made this browser for not making the scrolling smoother on a 600mhz cpu. It's more than twice as fast as the old iphone! And why is it less smooth in landscape? It's so lazy I'm guessing 5th edition is but a stopgap before symbian foundation.