All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 17-09-2004, 08:28 PM

Cash is on a distinguished road
Big problems with new firmware and BUGLIST

Hi Guys,

I have been following this forum and have had all the same problems with my sendo as the rest of you so decided to wait untill the firmware was out and see what happens.

I cant really tell yet if the problems have been resolved as this is the first day of the firmware, but I can tell when something is not working.

I will just say firstly that I reset the sendo to factory settings and then installed the firmware and no other software yet apart from copying my contacts from the sim card.

Problems below,

1, My back light and keypad light refuses to come back on after keypad unlock (this is after a couple of hours of normal use and using the keypad lock/unlock several times),

2, Switching between menus seems to be as slow as ever, if not a little slower,

3, When I eventually get into the profiles menu to check the status of the backlight, there are no options,

4, When I try to come out of the profiles menu, the phone has frozen, although I can still hear the keypad tones,

5, I cant turn the phone off because of the phone freeze so had to remove the battery to reboot,

6, I seem to have lost 16 minutes from my clock (I set my clock after the factory reset by my sky digibox), I assume this is because of the phone freeze,

7, The sound still sound dodgy (keypad tones changing volume etc) and the screen still flickers,

I am not sure if all these are new problems, but most of them are to me, quite frustrating really after the wait .

Having said that one really good result is that the reception has improved, I get a signal now in places where I never did before.

Any help with these problems would be greatly appreciated, if these problems continue then the phone will actually be unusable to me

Thanks

Last edited by Cash; 03-11-2004 at 09:52 AM.

Old 17-09-2004, 10:26 PM

SPEEDMAN is on a distinguished road
i think you're over reacting a bit there m8

first of all menu is much much smoothlier and faster. Second of all, if you encounter your backlight not going on after unlocking, this is the solution:

hit the power off button, but don't turn it off, quickly head down in the turn off menu, then cancel. You're back in the menu's with light.

this happens to me once and a while.

the problem that's worse is this one: hit the red button when in phone lock and screensaver, you will be out of the phone lock without having to hit (soft+*).

in profiles menu, when in personalising for example the general, i can see this:

back light brightness
back light time out
movie mode brightness (new apparently)
profile name (also new it seems)

i also think the screen flickering (when time changes every minute adding one minute,lol) is normal. Could it be fixed plinky ?
"Play a java game and send yourself an SMS, stand back and watch how the phone freezes up for 30 seconds or so. Even worse, send yourself an sms and call yourself at the same time. The phone reboots. "

Last edited by SPEEDMAN; 17-09-2004 at 10:41 PM.

Old 17-09-2004, 10:39 PM

let's make a buglist on this firmware.
Everyone, please state all the bugs you encounter with this version and also things you would like to see better/changed.

I will add them in this post, so we have a clear view of the to do bug-clearing.

here we go:

1, My back light and keypad light refuses to come back on after keypad unlock (this is after a couple of hours of normal use and using the keypad lock/unlock several times),

2. hit the red button when in phone lock and screensaver, you will be out of the phone lock without having to hit (soft+*). SOLVED

3. sms counter not available when typing sms

4. AMR sound quality when played on phone. When you transfer the files to the pc and play them there: no problem. Play them on the phone and you can hear these clicks, ticks or whatever you like to call them in the background. You can hear them even better with the headset.

5. MP3 sometimes starts cracking after a while of playing music.

6. 1 out of 3 calls i receive makes my ringtone crack. SOLVED

7. smartmovie, THE application to play movies is not smooth at all and won't except smooth playing in high quality.

8) Sometimes on startup, the phone displays Now! as it's network name, and despite recognising a signal, will not display operator's name.

9) Phone *keeps* asking me to copy SIM contacts to phone memory.
SOLVED

10) A restore from memory card failed to copy over all files (1 file missed)

11) Auto-update of time (clock settings) has disappeared (i was in The middle east, and despite the network change it wouldn't show the right time)

12) the irritating beep at the start of a conversation when accepting a phonecall. SOLVED

13) when you accept a phonecall, the vibration continues for a second when allready talking at the person who called you. A lot of users find this very irritating. It's even noticeable to the callers.SOLVED

14) unable to receive calls/sms when mp3 is playing. Even sometimes after playing MP3 unable to receive calls or sms. (mostly with italian version of the X). Latest firmware 60D seems to give this problem to all X's. The first seconds of mp3 play, calls wil be received. But after 30 seconds of play calls will be diverted to voicemail.

15) Sms messages are not being received when they should, have to switch the phone off then on again sometimes to receive them, I have to do this several times a day.

16) GPRS connection tends to drop very regularly. When it drops it takes the network receiving down with it. Usually you have to restart your phone to make it work again. Sometimes the phone even freezes. We need a more stable GPRS connection.

17) MP3 player shuffle system isnít very good; I always get them in the same order! The first one played is always the first song alphabetically despite it being on random. Also you canít skip song by pressing down unless the mp3 is 5 seconds into the song! Otherwise the song just restarts!

18)When multi tasking and playing mp3ís the music is constantly interrupted although only for a small time normally.

19)Some noises are still played in silent mode. Like if you are in silent and then choose the same profile again a bleep is played!

20) no vibration when receiving sms Solved

21) animated gifs flicker alot when viewing with sendo. and dont loop.

22) 'pushing key sound' is too high, should be put lower on lowest volume.

23) was not a Sendo bug

24) when trying to make a call or entering a number to a country outside your own, holding the 0 doesn't result in a + sign, but in some kind of network request. Using 00 does the trick, but we would like to see a + when holding it to use a new number, optionally to use it to add a new number. SOLVED !!
"Play a java game and send yourself an SMS, stand back and watch how the phone freezes up for 30 seconds or so. Even worse, send yourself an sms and call yourself at the same time. The phone reboots. "

Last edited by SPEEDMAN; 27-11-2004 at 01:21 AM. Reason: updating BUGLIST

Old 17-09-2004, 10:58 PM

Hi Speedman,

Tnx for the reply,

I will try your solution to the backlight problem next time it happens, its not ideal but if it will get the lights back on then it will do for now and hopefully the bug can be fixed

When I say I cant see options in the profiles menu, I mean I cant see nothing at all, just a blank screen, I then bought the phone out of profiles and thats when the phone froze and I lost the 16 minutes untill I took the battery out to reboot the phone.

I know a couple of the problems are just minor i.e the key sound and the flickering screen, but in everyday use these things do tend to irritate and I was hoping they would have been fixed in this release.

Having just played an MP3 I too have heard the crackling that you mentioned in your last post.

But the phone locking up and loosing the minutes is a concern to me, if this happens while the phone is in my pocket and/or out of view, I could loose important calls and texts (I travel alot and rely on my phone).

Cheers mate,

Old 17-09-2004, 11:33 PM
Super Moderator

stuclark is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPEEDMAN
Don't see this on my pnone, on either my old (1.30) or new firmwares. However, new is much better at unlock messages / backlights.
Quote:
2. hit the red button when in phone lock and screensaver, you will be out of the]
phone lock without having to hit (soft+*).
Can someone tell me how to do this? I haven't been able to replicate this error on either firmware.
Quote:
3. sms counter not available when typing sms
It appears as you send the message, not before. :(
Quote:
4. AMR sound quality when played on phone. When you transfer the files to the pc and play them there: no problem. Play them on the phone and you can hear these clicks, ticks or whatever you like to call them in the background. You can hear them even better with the headset.
Sound recording quality in general is crap. I've asked Kev to put in a request to do some alterations on this. Most appear to be due to overly high mic volume.
The clicking is more prominent on files transfered back to the phone, having previously been sent to a PC.
Quote:
5. MP3 sometimes starts cracking after a while of playing music.
I reported this some time ago. It happens when the phone screen saves for the first time while playing MP3s. Press any button and it will go away!
Quote:
6. 1 out of 3 calls i receive makes my ringtone crack.
Sorry, haven't had this one.
Quote:
7. smartmovie, THE application to play movies is not smooth at all and won't except smooth playing in high quality.
Again, not played with it...

Here's my new list:

1) Phone kept asking for lock code on power up, despite SIM not being changed. (resolved by removing SIM and re-inserting)

2) Random application links appear in the Now! screen without being specified. Some can't be removed until phone is restarted.

3) Sometimes on startup, the phone displays Now! as it's network name, and despite recognising a signal, will not display operator's name.

4) Phone *keeps* asking me to copy SIM contacts to phone memory.

5) A restore from memory card failed to copy over all files (1 file missed)

6) Auto-update of time (clock settings) has disappeared!
Ads

Old 18-09-2004, 08:16 AM

updated, keep those bugs coming

Old 18-09-2004, 08:37 PM

New Bugs

I have just experienced another new bug that I didn't have before

1, I just tried to turn the phone off and the on/off button doesn't work, it bleeps but when pressed the menu doesnt show up, and if held down the phone doesn't switch off,

I am getting a little tired of keep taking the back off the phone and removing the battery to either turn the phone off or to get the phone working after it freezes up.

Oh and when I turned the phone back on I got a sms message come through that was sent about 90 minutes earlier.

2, And even though my phone is set up for mms messages, I keep getting a notice saying that the phone needs to be set up for mms messaging, very strange

Have you any thoughts Plinkykev

Old 19-09-2004, 01:16 AM

i would format and restore your phone a few times, that's what i think. I think the firmware didn't came through.

check the version in extra / about

Old 19-09-2004, 02:41 AM
Super Moderator

stuclark is on a distinguished road
I've had similar wierd behaviour with SMS messages, my phone suddenly started trying to send through a message centre I'd never set up in it's memory, and even after fixing that, messages can take hours to come through. :(

I also can't now do a proper backup / restore to the memory card, I keep getting 1.2.3 files skipped on backup / restore! This is after trying the *#7370# reset trick a few times :(

Old 19-09-2004, 07:34 AM

Hi Speedman,

I have done that a couple of times already.

The new firmware is installed, although I still have most of the old problems, I also have new problems, i.e. the baclight not coming back on, not bieng able to turn the phone off with the off button etc.

The only improvement that I have noticed is that I get a better signal strenghth, oh and I prefer the new screen graphics

Old 19-09-2004, 08:11 AM

plinkykev is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuclark
I've had similar wierd behaviour with SMS messages, my phone suddenly started trying to send through a message centre I'd never set up in it's memory, and even after fixing that, messages can take hours to come through. :(
That will probably be to do with the firmware update. Don't forget, if you got the phone from another country, all of THEIR settings will have been put back by the update - SMS / MMS / WEB / WAP / etc.

Ideally a backup before the update should have been done. Do the update. Restore back your data.
Might be an idea to clear out the settings for ALL of these, and get them back via the OTA configurator on our web site (or Nokia's - pretend it's a 3650!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuclark
I also can't now do a proper backup / restore to the memory card, I keep getting 1.2.3 files skipped on backup / restore! This is after trying the *#7370# reset trick a few times :(
I've seen this too. I think it's a bug on other S60 handsets too. It's weird, and annoying that you don't get a list of the file(s) that were a problem. Being looked at.

Old 19-09-2004, 08:42 AM

plinkykev is on a distinguished road
Audio Quality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cash
When I say I cant see options in the profiles menu, I mean I cant see nothing at all, just a blank screen,
OK. This is weird. Never seen this. Anyone else got this? Have you intalled a 3rd party program (like Extended Profiles) that might be causing a problem?

I would sync data to a PC, then backup your data (to pc and memory card, and ZAP the phone - press 5 at power on). Then, BEFORE restoring the data, check the profiles first. If it is OK now, might be a problem with a new program you have added, or maybe bad data file somehow. Sync back your data. Check profiles. Restore Data. Check Profiles. See what step, and so what program is causing this. If you find out, let me know.

If NOT there I would re-install the firmware. This option is ALWAYS there, for all operators, so there is something else going wrong to cause this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cash
Having just played an MP3 I too have heard the crackling that you mentioned in your last post.
This is being fixed. Not sure if I have said before, but best MP3 playback can be expected when they are done in the range of 128 - 256 kbps, recorded at 44.1 kHz - high end versions. Well, it is a high-end phone after all!

pk

Last edited by plinkykev; 19-09-2004 at 08:45 AM. Reason: fix typo's...

Old 19-09-2004, 09:20 AM

Hi Kev,

The problem with not seeing the menu was just before the phone froze up, I could still change between menu's, but there was nothing in the menu I mentioned, and the phone went really slow, it may have just been a one off thing, that problem hasn't happened again so I will wait and see,

I have tried all the things you have said about resetting and reintalling the firmware, I have no other apps on the phone, not even put the mem card back in yet after the last reinstall, just waiting to see what happens.

will try the mp3's as you have said

thanks

Old 19-09-2004, 09:24 AM

Smile

hope thay are paying you well at sendo for working on a sunday

Keep up the good work kev

Old 19-09-2004, 09:30 AM

i will keep updating my post up there kev, so there is a clear list of all bugs.

will there be an update of PC COnnect as well ?

because just after my synchronisation is done on pc connect, it has a total error and exits. I finish my synch though, but it's still weard.