All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 29-06-2006, 09:31 AM

sunlie is on a distinguished road
Import server certificate to E61

The ActiveSync works just fine in E61, only one problem it keeps asking to accept my server certificate. I use SBS 2003 server that create its own certificate. Anyone know how to import a server certificate to E61 ?

Old 29-06-2006, 02:12 PM

phazlehurst is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunlie
The ActiveSync works just fine in E61, only one problem it keeps asking to accept my server certificate. I use SBS 2003 server that create its own certificate. Anyone know how to import a server certificate to E61 ?
Hi, what you have to do is the following:

1) Get a .CER (the certificate) file from your administrator and save it to your hard drive somewhere
2) Using PCSuite, copy that .CER file to your phone in any folder really. Documents will work
3) Using FileManager on your phone, navigate to the file, and you should be able to "open" it, and then it will say do you want to import it.

Tx

P

Old 30-06-2006, 02:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phazlehurst
Hi, what you have to do is the following:

1) Get a .CER (the certificate) file from your administrator and save it to your hard drive somewhere
2) Using PCSuite, copy that .CER file to your phone in any folder really. Documents will work
3) Using FileManager on your phone, navigate to the file, and you should be able to "open" it, and then it will say do you want to import it.

Tx

P
Thanks, try that, when I open it, nothing happen, no question ask wheter I would like to import it or not. Any other suggestion anyone ?

Old 30-06-2006, 09:35 AM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Check the format;

Try sending a X.509v3 format cert file to the phone over Bluetooth and then open the received message, or download it from a web or WAP page (assuming the server has been configured to send the correct MIME type, application/x-x509-ca-cert).

Old 01-07-2006, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe
Check the format;

Try sending a X.509v3 format cert file to the phone over Bluetooth and then open the received message, or download it from a web or WAP page (assuming the server has been configured to send the correct MIME type, application/x-x509-ca-cert).
Try to send it with Bluetooth, nothing happen when I open it, just a blink on the screen. Try to put the certificate in a webpage and set the correct MIME, but the phone open it as a text file. Still no luck here...

Old 08-07-2006, 10:48 AM

shidongting is on a distinguished road
Try DER format

I had the same problem. Make sure the certificate is in the DER format, not base64. The Exchange server can export the format for you by going to http://exchangeserveraddress/certsrv/. Copy the cert to your phone with bluetooth or whatever and then open it. It will ask you if you want to install it. After, you won't be prompted.

Hope this helps.

Old 23-10-2006, 11:46 AM

jventura is on a distinguished road
Import Server certificate to N80

Hello,

I've seen your comments in the forum and after following forum's indication was able to install the certificate to my N80 (S60 3rd ed) but it continues to ask for confirmation whenever I access the webpage.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

NOTE: I can find ther certificate in my N80 Certificate folder...

Joao Ventura

Old 25-10-2006, 11:44 AM

pelwell is on a distinguished road
Possible fix

You will have to forgive me if my terminology is a little off, I am not fully conversant with all this.

I recently had to get an E61 working with an Exchange email server and hit the request to accept the certificate problem when it synchronised. I tried many of the above suggestions to no avail. I have fixed it though, and learnt a few things along the way.

What I didn't realise is that there are 2 certificates involved in the process. The 1st is what I will call the "root certificate" created on my Windows 2003 server, it has a 5 year life span. The 2nd is what I will call the "client certificate". The client certificate is a child, for want of a better word, of the root one.

I found that the only certificate I could install on the E61, by copying the .cer file across with no conversion necessary, was the root certificate. All others were rejected. Installing this made no difference to the acceptance request when syncing. The syncing, or web-browsing process, calls the client certificate and it not seen as trusted, hence the prompt.

The fix I found was to tell the E61 to trust my root certificate. Here's how:

Menu - Settings - Security - Certif. management

Find your root certificate (xyzCA in my case) in the list. Options - Trust settings. Set "Internet" and "Online certif. check" to Yes.

Hopefully now when you sync the client certificate will be trusted, because the root one is seen as a trusted source.

Old 25-10-2006, 07:36 PM

agerbo is on a distinguished road
@pelwell

Where did you copy your .cer file to on your E61

/agerbo

Old 26-10-2006, 08:30 AM

pelwell is on a distinguished road
I just copied the file across, via USB, to the Documents folder, though any folder will do.

Old 17-11-2006, 09:46 AM

rolexel is on a distinguished road
The process is simple, and i just got my email client to work with my imap server.

Just send the .cer file to the phone, and open Certificate Manager in Tools. Then, add this .cer file. Once you added, select it, and hit View Details, and then Trust Settings. MAKE SURE email and web browsing is set to 'yes'. This will allow your email clients to trust the corresponding imap server and stop asking you repeatedly about accepting certificates!

Old 07-03-2007, 04:52 PM

Nostra Systems is on a distinguished road
Important Info

Hi Guys

Read this piece especially the second part dealing with cert imports

nostrasystems.ie/smartphone.php

Regards
Senan

Old 23-03-2007, 01:10 PM

pauleec is on a distinguished road
Beer the E61 is ruining my life!

well, not quite that bad but I am losiing the will to live. I am attempting to synchronise my E61 with a Exchange 2003 SP2 server using Roadsync. I have managed to import all the required certificates (bought one from Go Daddy) onto the device, the settings are correct, I have setup RPC over HTTPS on the server and that works. But still the bloody thing won't synchronise.

The Roadsync error I get suggests that my account has expired (no), my username is greater then 20 characters (no) or my password or username is wrong (no again - have tested with other users, etc). I am completely flummoxed. If anyone has any ideas please let me know. Many thanks to sunlie and Senan by the way, their posts on here helped me with the certificate issues in a big way. Great forum (shame about the E61).

Paul

Old 22-09-2009, 11:13 AM

dan_the_man is on a distinguished road
Is this thread still open, need help

Hi

Is this thread still open, i need help on this issue with openssl.

How do you use it with the command line, i have downloaded "openssl-0.9.8k.tar.tar" and extracted it to a folder put the cer file in there but get "not reconised as an internal or external command"

Do i have to install it somehow first?

Hope someone is still reading this and can help.

Thanks...

Old 18-11-2009, 12:51 PM

thomasstuart is on a distinguished road
Hi Guys I am Thomas.
I also have the same problem. Make sure the certificate is in the DER format, not base64. The Exchange server can export the format for you by going to http://exchangeserveraddress/certsrv/. Copy the cert to your phone with bluetooth or whatever and then open it. It will ask you if you want to install it. After, you won't be prompted.