All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 21-02-2009, 09:57 PM

E.Jakob is on a distinguished road
Exclamation E71 - Emails constantly removed from the phone's mailbox?!

Hello there. Hope someone will be able to help with the following:

I tried to use both the ordinary E71 mailbox and ProfiMail.
My problem: if an e-mail is deleted from server (for example after downloading on desktop mail client, or when deleted other way), it will be removed from phone's mailbox during next account updating on the phone.
My question: can this be avoided? Is there a way to keep all the e-mails in the phone's mailbox? Maybe some kind of a setting or an E-mail Client which would support this option??

Thanks a lot!

Old 23-02-2009, 10:25 PM

Web Link

Does anyone have any ideas how this could be solved?

Thanks!

Old 24-02-2009, 01:09 PM

DervMan is on a distinguished road
It annoys me too - and I don't have the answer. I used to enjoy this feature with Chatteremail+ and my Treo 680.

Old 24-02-2009, 09:31 PM

mrochester is on a distinguished road
Haha, it's funny how tastes differ. This is one thing that BUGS me about the iPhone... the emails will stay on the device even after they have been deleted from the server. I want them to automatically be removed the next time my mail is checked, not just sitting there waiting for me to have to delete them! I liked this functionality in Nokia phones!

Old 25-02-2009, 09:17 AM

Indeedy! I'd like the option to pick between the two, which Chatteremail+ had.

Thinking about this... I access my email via IMAP on the E71, which reflects the state of my inbox. Every so often I connect via POP3 and download / archive the emails that arrive.

So if I connected via POP3 then I'd expect the emails to linger once downloaded, depending on the settings... I think...

Old 25-02-2009, 10:43 PM

Ratkat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.Jakob View Post
Hello there. Hope someone will be able to help with the following:

I tried to use both the ordinary E71 mailbox and ProfiMail.
My problem: if an e-mail is deleted from server (for example after downloading on desktop mail client, or when deleted other way), it will be removed from phone's mailbox during next account updating on the phone.
My question: can this be avoided? Is there a way to keep all the e-mails in the phone's mailbox? Maybe some kind of a setting or an E-mail Client which would support this option??

Thanks a lot!

You need to go into the settings on your PC email client, and change it to leave a copy of the message on the server.

Cost Effective Web Design Nximedia

Old 05-03-2009, 10:23 PM

Web Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratkat View Post
You need to go into the settings on your PC email client, and change it to leave a copy of the message on the server.
That's a well known option, but not very useful when the size of your server mailbox is only 20 or 40 MB. Believe it or not, this is still the case with some local ISPs.
Is there any other suggestion how this could be fixed?
Thanks!

Old 06-03-2009, 10:16 AM

So you need to be able to store these messages in a portable format so that you can use it as a reference? In effect you want your inbox to show you the current status and the archived messages?

I don't know many mobile email clients, but of those I do know, only Chatteremail+ offers this functionality. I haven't seen a Symbian email client that can do this.

As a workaround, you might want to set up another email account (say with GoogleMail) and archive your messages here. Or contact your ISP for a larger mailbox?

Old 15-05-2009, 05:17 PM

Yeah, I would like to have an email client on my E71, which would show all of the sent and received emails, regardless of the current status of the mailbox, like when you use Outlook on a PC.

In my case, unfortunately there is not an option to increase the size of the mailbox, which means that all emails have to be permanently downloaded to the PC every now and then. After each of these downloads to the PC, the mailbox would be emptied, which results in the deletion of all emails from the E71 after the first next email retrieval is initiated. This is what I would like to avoid, if possible.

Thanks

Old 18-06-2009, 07:36 AM

anarchyuk is on a distinguished road
profimail is one of the best clients for symbian, but its not free! googlemail and imap is the best way to manage your emails, well imap is but with google the 7gig of storage comes in handy, especially if you set the email program to only collect the headers, at 1-2kb a header you can have thousands!