All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 25-06-2010, 12:59 PM
Unregistered

@Henrik
>Here is little FAQ for people who are concerned about software support for the N8
>and Symbian^3:

Why is Qt not present in newer Firmware of Nokia X6/5800/5530/C5 .....
You still have problems rolling out Qt-Apps via Ovi-Store *wtf*

This is really bad execution - they want to appeal Developers but they are doing the opposite of generating a great, not segmented platform.

And now this Meego-Thing it sucks.
Is there a guarantee that Meego for Nokia will only run on x86-Hardware or are they doing a segmentation?
Meego on x86 and Meego on ARM.....

So you have to deliver a Symbian-Qt-ARM-executable, a Meego-Qt-x86-executable and a Meego-Qt-ARM-executable....that sucks.

Old 25-06-2010, 01:12 PM
Unregistered

Nokia N Series

Nokia as invested loads of money into Symbian ,an the Software o.k.for its old N Series mobiles but the Software did not seem to be able to compete with Apple an Anroid software,N900 meego was a gamble from Nokia,an loads of people like this software an user friendly browsing,but Nokia let the N900 down making the phone to Bulky an Huge so the sales were not as good,Symbian ^3 looks o.k on the N8 an they say Symbian4 on its way,but do Nokia rate the N8 as a Top Smartphone or not,an if we do get the N9 with Meego on it,will Nokia make the Meego Software update for the N8,Hope the Meego phones are not made to Bulky By Nokia or they will making another big mistake again

Old 25-06-2010, 01:16 PM
Unregistered

>The N8 camera has (as has been mentioned on these pages, and you obviously missed) the >largest sensor in a mobile by far, and larger than most compact dedicated cameras. As a result >(and using Jobs' style here) it has considerably more photons reaching each sensor than >anything else out there - as a result it should be considerably better.

The N8 sensor's area per pixel is actually the same as the iphone 4 but N8 uses just a conventional sensor. The iphone 4's back illuminated sensor allows lots more effective photons reaching the pixel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyg1DCVLqzg

Note. Apple is actually using the 1.75 micron BSI version.

And this isn't even taking into account the N8's lens. It is being asked to do a more work required to support more megapixel as well as the sensor not making efficient use of light.

Old 25-06-2010, 01:23 PM
Peter Sulzer

Thanks NOKIA, that was it :-|

Why do you prefer the old UNIX-OS MeeGo??? Symbian is the best and most modern OS available (at least of these OS, which have a market share > 5%).

I don't want to have an OS on my phone, which was developed at the end of the 60's/start of the 70's for mini computer (mini means >2 m long 1 m wide and 1.5 m high).

Symbian is so much better! It is a Micro Kernel OS, it is a Real Time OS (UNIX, especially Linux is not real time capable), and it is "SINGING AND DANCING" (have a look to the good old Psion 5).

OK you prefer MeeGo - than I prefer Android (or perhaps iPhone - don't think so). If I must change from my favorite OS, I will (most probably) go to Android.

Bring me a (SYMBIAN) Phone with 1024x684 display resolution plus numeric coprocessor and a good office suite (like that of the Psion 5 - still much better than QuickOffice or MobiSystems OfficeSuite - I own both), a good browser (like Opera 10 - it's on my E90 - WITH MULTIBLE TABS) and I will stay with Symbian - else you will lost a customer (most probably to Android - also I don't prefer UNIX for a mobile device).

Please note: This could be an E-Series device (i. e. a business device) and could be very, very large! Formerly I have had my Siemens SX1 (Symbian) _A_N_D_ my Psion. So a cool new Symbian device may have a size much larger than e. g. an N97, even larger (wider, not longer) than the E90 - that wouldn't be a problem (most important is the size of the display).

But what I won't do: Buy lower end smartphones, just because they are running with Symbian. I will have, like my E90, an absolute high end phone powered by Symbian. If the the N900 would have Symbian instead of Maemo, I would buy it.

Old 25-06-2010, 01:43 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
>

The N8 sensor's area per pixel is actually the same as the iphone 4 but N8 uses just a conventional sensor. The iphone 4's back illuminated sensor allows lots more effective photons reaching the pixel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyg1DCVLqzg

Note. Apple is actually using the 1.75 micron BSI version.

And this isn't even taking into account the N8's lens. It is being asked to do a more work required to support more megapixel as well as the sensor not making efficient use of light.
The N8 sensor is augmented for some shooting conditions by a Xenon flash and the 12MP gives it the greater crop-zoom possibilities.

Carl Zeiss are pretty good with lenses too.

Old 25-06-2010, 01:45 PM
Unregistered

Symbian phones will be as good and as capable as any phone on the market today.

Meego mobile computing devices will step even further.

Old 25-06-2010, 02:09 PM
Unregistered

where is my nokia

i really wish nokia N8 & N9 come out ASAP.

The money in my pocket were starting to smoke.... it's burning.... and hot.

I need to buy a new replacement phone, and nokia were too slow churning out Symbian^3 & Meego devices.

C'mon nokia. I don't want any of your current phone. i don't want to buy a new phone that will absolute in a couple of month.

Old 25-06-2010, 02:17 PM

viipottaja is on a distinguished road
Charles Davies goes to TomTom?!? Wonder what TomTom has to attract him. If anything, TomTom would be the more likely sinking ship than Nokia.

Old 25-06-2010, 02:38 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by viipottaja View Post
Charles Davies goes to TomTom?!? Wonder what TomTom has to attract him. If anything, TomTom would be the more likely sinking ship than Nokia.
TomTom have a number of ex Psion people in senior roles. Including the guy that went to Apple with Jonathan Ive to work on the MacMini and the iPhone. (Ken MacAlpine).

The legacy of David Potter is far greater than most people realise.

Old 25-06-2010, 02:51 PM

buster is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Sulzer View Post
OK you prefer MeeGo - than I prefer Android (or perhaps iPhone - don't think so). If I must change from my favorite OS, I will (most probably) go to Android.
How on earth can you complain about Meego being Unix derived and then say that you are thinking of moving to Android, which is also Linux based. Very strange reasoning if you ask me...

Old 25-06-2010, 02:51 PM

viipottaja is on a distinguished road
Yeah I know they do, but what attracts them there? Is TomTom working on something that would change their current trajectory (in large part ushered by Nokia Maps, ironically)?
Ads

Old 25-06-2010, 03:06 PM

clonmult is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by viipottaja View Post
Yeah I know they do, but what attracts them there? Is TomTom working on something that would change their current trajectory (in large part ushered by Nokia Maps, ironically)?
I thought TomTom shares had dropped in a manner similar to BP .... unless they really do have something radical - and that can't just be satnav apps running on the iPhone. Maybe there will be a TomTom phone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by unregistered
Where have Apple published the size of the iPhones sensor? I've trawled the appleinsider forums for a while and I'm sure I've never seen it mentioned. So thats an unsubstantiated claim.

Even with the improved sensor, it still won't get in as much light as using a supplementary flash. It could well have an edge on video, but that remains to be seen.

Old 25-06-2010, 03:18 PM
Unregistered

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget....242-rm-eng.jpg

Right there!

And its even on AAS that Nokia's Damian Dinning confirm the N8 pixel size is the same as iphone 4.

There are situations that's better suited to having xenon/led but there also situations that's better suited to having an better sensor when flash/xenon doesn't work well.

Old 25-06-2010, 03:19 PM
Unregistered

I ment sensor pixel size.

Old 25-06-2010, 03:24 PM

clonmult is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget....242-rm-eng.jpg

Right there!

And its even on AAS that Nokia's Damian Dinning confirm the N8 pixel size is the same as iphone 4.

There are situations that's better suited to having xenon/led but there also situations that's better suited to having an better sensor when flash/xenon doesn't work well.
Ta

This will be quite interesting then ..... in stills flash/xenon will tend to be preferable, in video work obviously a flash cannot be of any assistance. I'd tend to go for the flash 90% of the time though - its more likely to be useful.

A bit of googling brings up conjecture that the sensor in the N8 is of the backlit type - which if true, means that the N8 will possibly have a huge advantage. DD has said that the sensor is considerably more sensitive than whats been used before.