All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes

  #31  
Old 11-08-2010, 10:01 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by OxoCube View Post
Nope. Not a chance. You may have a different subjective opinion but the general consensus is that the iPhone UI is way ahead, . I think the geeks go for the Android type interface, and normal humans receive the iPhone style much better.).
OxoCube is bang on the money!

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/08..._getting_more/

  #32  
Old 12-08-2010, 04:42 AM
Jimmy1 Jimmy1 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 113
Jimmy1 is on a distinguished road
All right, easy, fellas.

We ARE just shooting the breeze about one Billion Dollar corporation's gadgets that they want to sell us vs. another Billion Dollar corporation and THEIR gadgets.

BTW, off topic, but earlier today, I managed to pair a Nokia E66 to an iPad over wifi as a hotspot, at an Apple Store= WIN!

I can see myself getting one to couch browse and read the occasional ebook. Just waiting for FaceTime to come to the next gen.

  #33  
Old 12-08-2010, 07:14 AM
clonmult clonmult is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 454
clonmult is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irony_x_2 View Post
"Lesson of the day, Eye candy does not a good GUI make."

Tell that to the 3 million + that bought the iPhone 4 in one month
So popularity = good UI?

On the same token, Avatar is the greatest film of all time, and Eastenders/Coronation Street are the best programs on british TV. Girls Aloud and JLS are some of the best bands in recent years, etc. etc.

  #34  
Old 12-08-2010, 08:42 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
256 MB is enough and 475 Euros are cheap

@iFanboy:

256 MB is more than enough for Symbian. I have a Sony Ericsson Vivaz (runs the same Symbian S60 5th OS as the N97, but has 256 MB RAM instead of the N97's measly 128 MB), and I _never_ run out of RAM on the Vivaz, and I mean _never_.

When I have the browser open on a big fat page, music player running, Google Maps running and Nimbuzz messenger I still have around 94 MB free RAM left.

So yeah, 256 MB RAM is enough, and Symbian^3 (which runs on the N8) is even more memory efficient.

U think 475 Euros for the N8 is expensive? Then how come you gladly pay 735 Euros (iPhone 4 32 GB unlocked price) for a phone with inferior specs in most areas?

  #35  
Old 12-08-2010, 08:46 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Enough with the insults in this thread. Any further insulting comments or personal attack will be removed along with anything that may have been useful in that post.

Last edited by UKJeeper; 12-08-2010 at 09:24 AM.

  #36  
Old 12-08-2010, 10:15 AM
talhamid talhamid is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 61
talhamid is on a distinguished road
Anyone coming away disappointed with HTC Desire deserves to be tied to Symbian for the rest of their lives. (Referring to one of the comments above)

Just like Apple lives in its own reality distortion field, so does Nokia. ANdroid is better to use and more capable. End of story. Not an opinion, a FACT. It has a higher price tag though, and thats whats keeping Symbian afloat.

  #37  
Old 12-08-2010, 10:54 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Tell what?

Tell that to the 27 million people that bought Symbian devices last quater. Oh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irony_x_2 View Post
"Lesson of the day, Eye candy does not a good GUI make."

Tell that to the 3 million + that bought the iPhone 4 in one month

  #38  
Old 12-08-2010, 10:57 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Who lives in the reality distortion field? Really?

Hahaha! I like your humor. Stating something as a fact without any facts on the table, only referring your own personal belief. Nice going, you'd make an excellent politician ....in Greece.

Quote:
Originally Posted by talhamid View Post
Anyone coming away disappointed with HTC Desire deserves to be tied to Symbian for the rest of their lives. (Referring to one of the comments above)

Just like Apple lives in its own reality distortion field, so does Nokia. ANdroid is better to use and more capable. End of story. Not an opinion, a FACT. It has a higher price tag though, and thats whats keeping Symbian afloat.

  #39  
Old 12-08-2010, 11:36 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
"Symbian is a microkernel it is designed for this kind of efficiency, Android will simply never be as efficient as Symbian, it is JUST NOT POSSIBLE unless it is completely rewritten from scratch. And so, Android phones will also always be poorer value for money."

Generally microkernels result in more IPC and privilege related context switches than monolithic kernels, and as a result they generally use more CPU time. But you know what? IT DOESN'T MATTER. The old monolithic versus micro argument is so much hot air, it has raged for decades and no clear winner has emerged.

Whatever failings Android may have the Linux kernel is not one of them, I would be surprised if even the Symbian Foundation used such an argument to knock Android.

The iPhone uses the hodge-podge of Mach/BSD and does do too badly, compared to that Linux is miraculously efficient and well designed.
I don't agree, the performance hit is negligible when you have a well designed kernel, but you are talking about something completely different anyway, that is, desktops!

Phones are resource constrained, efficiency = cheaper phones. Nokia can implement a phone on a single chip! The microkernel allows greater power savings and efficiency in a standby state.

New hardware is better than old hardware but old code is better than new code, Symbian have been gone over a million times over the past twenty years, you can't beat it on these terms overnight. Android simply cannot compete on technical basis, not yet anyway.

The consumer may not give a rat's ass about this but these factors lead to cheaper phones with reduced hardware requirements and the consumer cares about value for money. With Symbian you get more for your money as this ZTE Racer clearly demonstrates.

Nokia have Symbian for the low range and Meego for the high range, with QT providing a common development environment. People criticize this but Google are doing the same thing! Android 3.0 will be for the high range and split from the current 2.2 which will then be optimized the low range, basically the same strategy with Davlik/Java uniting the two.

At the moment iPhone is the premium phone, Android owns the high end and Symbian/S40 own the mid-range and low end.

I predict Android will get better and move into the mid range but will have difficulty producing competitive phone in the low end for some time to come.

I think Symbian will dominate the mid range with the N8 and it's cousins from Nokia and the whatever comes from the Asian manufacturers. As hardware improves Symbian will just move into the low end and Android will become dominant in the midrange. But Meego is the wildcard here, who know what impact that will have?

  #40  
Old 12-08-2010, 12:13 PM
clonmult clonmult is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 454
clonmult is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by talhamid View Post
Anyone coming away disappointed with HTC Desire deserves to be tied to Symbian for the rest of their lives. (Referring to one of the comments above)

Just like Apple lives in its own reality distortion field, so does Nokia. ANdroid is better to use and more capable. End of story. Not an opinion, a FACT. It has a higher price tag though, and thats whats keeping Symbian afloat.
Don't make statements without backing them up.

What is better on Android, give us a breakdown, sequence of bullet points, etc. Otherwise you're just spouting hot air.

  #41  
Old 12-08-2010, 04:13 PM
buster buster is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 350
buster is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by talhamid View Post
Just like Apple lives in its own reality distortion field, so does Nokia. ANdroid is better to use and more capable. End of story. Not an opinion, a FACT. It has a higher price tag though, and thats whats keeping Symbian afloat.
How can you say that "Nokia are living in their own reality distortion field"? Have Nokia ever bad-mouthed the opposition in the way Apple did? No. Do they rant about how much better Symbian is than iOS or Android? No, they don't. They simply make devices which people generally like to buy and use, as witnessed by their sales figures. Every OS has its pro's and con's (yes, even iOS4), none of them are as bad as many make out and none of them are as good as people would have you believe either.

Maybe you find Android better than Symbian; great, I'm glad for you. However, that does not mean that it is necessarily better, just that you prefer it. It all comes down to taste; some people prefer eye-candy (or should that be iCandy?), some prefer power, some prefer battery life etc.
Ads

  #42  
Old 12-08-2010, 07:48 PM
oniox oniox is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 38
oniox is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irony_x_2 View Post
"Lesson of the day, Eye candy does not a good GUI make."

Tell that to the 3 million + that bought the iPhone 4 in one month

McDonalds sold millions of Big Mac meals today. This does not mean its healthy or good for its buyers, does it ? Rampant sales of a flawed iPhone 4 only proves true that old adage, fools and their money are soon parted........

  #43  
Old 12-08-2010, 08:09 PM
oniox oniox is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 38
oniox is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by OxoCube View Post
Nope. Not a chance. You may have a different subjective opinion but the general consensus is that the iPhone UI is way ahead, and it has nothing to do with eye candy. iPhone badge notifications may not be as verbose and contain as much information as Android ones, but they serve more than sufficient purpose. I think the geeks go for the Android type interface, and normal humans receive the iPhone style much better. Luckily for all of us, geeks are a minority. What is special about the back button compared to a home? Apple is way ahead, followed by Android, with Symbian just behind and about to surge past. Meego got a by to the final.

iPhone is not my choice by the way, I am reflecting the consensus here. (I am increasingly moving away from any kind of smartphone and back to ordinary phone because this whole thing is becoming increasingly irritating, dull and missing the point).
Sorry I forgot that 'general consensus' is now whatever comes from the mouth of Steve iJobs. Flash is bad, get a bumper, hold different etc

  #44  
Old 13-08-2010, 11:11 AM
wellisntTHATqt_
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
@Tsepz_011 Anyone saying that 600mhz + 256RAM is low end is completely clueless.

As for VMs, Java programmers have been saying since the 90s that the JVM can in theory be faster than native code. In 2010 it's still faster in theory, while native code is still faster in practice.

I've seen many Android devs complaining that they have to do manual memory management because the Dalvik GC is too slow. They also demand that Google offer a better native SDK for games.

  #45  
Old 13-08-2010, 12:13 PM
user47alpha user47alpha is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 12
user47alpha is on a distinguished road
I think the price is deciding what "Low End" means at the moment. And the X10mini solds for 240€. That is a low budged price for an smartphone -> it's a "Low End" smartphone with 600Mhz. Which brings up the question: Why has the C6 for 250€ the same old 434 Mhz? Why does it not use the hardware from the E5 which is at 600 Mhz. How many of those hardware-iterations will Nokia produce?

Will we even get another generation of 600 Mhz Symbian^1? (Please not!)
 

Bookmarks

Tags
battle, budget, hardware, smartphones

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Why the Budget Battle of the Smartphones is important slitchfield Series 60 41 10-08-2010 06:40 PM
Battle of the music smartphones slitchfield UIQ 8 17-01-2007 01:34 PM
Hardware accelerated graphics using OpenGL ES for UIQ 3 smartphones slitchfield UIQ 0 27-11-2006 01:41 PM
Battle of the music smartphones slitchfield Links of Interest 2 06-03-2006 04:41 PM
Editorial: 6630 - smartphones and 3G Rafe Series 60 3 23-06-2004 09:28 AM



All times are GMT. The time now is 08:30 PM.


vBulletin skins developed by: eXtremepixels
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Notes || Contact Us || Privacy Policy