All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Links of Interest

Old 29-08-2010, 07:12 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
FX Studio on the Nokia N8 looking interesting

Released a day or so ago and looking mightily interesting is a detailed promo video for FX Studio on the Nokia N8, embedded below. An add-on through the Ovi Store (similar to the way iMovie is an add-on for the iPhone in its App Store), FX Studio superimposes 3D animated special effects on real world videos, using augmented reality-style black and white markers to control the integration. Watch the video below and you'll see what I mean.

Read on in the full article.

Old 29-08-2010, 08:28 AM

tawalker is on a distinguished road
Every time I conclude that no-one can come up with another reason for me to want an N8... someone goes and does it!

Look, Nokia: please just release the thing, will you?

Old 29-08-2010, 07:49 PM
Unregistered

I am still not convinced. The browser and UI remind me of the N97 and previous Symbian too much with only minor tweaks. Maybe I am wrong.

Old 29-08-2010, 08:29 PM
Unregistered

Sold!

I'm sold. Gonna get the silver one!

The fact alone, that it doesn't look like an iPhone, is a major plus.

Old 29-08-2010, 09:57 PM
Gamers

hope Symbian Foundation OS delivered good gaming like on ios , android & webOS. S60 is the worst ever OS for gamer.

Old 30-08-2010, 03:51 AM
Unregistered

Why you would get this when the high end N9 Meego is just around the corner is beyond me.
Ads

Old 30-08-2010, 09:25 AM

buster is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Why you would get this when the high end N9 Meego is just around the corner is beyond me.
I guess price for a start, as the N9 will probably cost twice as much as the N8...

Old 30-08-2010, 12:39 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
The N9 looks like an oversized lump which is biased toward mobile computing, whilst the N8 is a phone with some enhanced imaging capability. Completely different. The N9, according to the early photos, has LED flash whilst the N8 has Xenon with it's large sensor camera. And because I'm not a computer geek with a pencil neck and sunken chest I am not particularly interested in paying twice as much for something with not much more to offer me.

Why anyone would want an N9 is beyond me, but each to his own.

Old 30-08-2010, 01:21 PM
Unregistered

For gamers indeed

"hope Symbian Foundation OS delivered good gaming like on ios , android & webOS. S60 is the worst ever OS for gamer."

Not to worry. Symbian^3 has full OpenGL ES 2.0 accelerated support (in fact Symbian^3 REQUIRES the hardware to have a GPU(!)) just like the iPhone 4. EA, Gameloft and Rovio, among others, have already announced new native 3D titles for the N8.

Old 30-08-2010, 03:28 PM
Unregistered

Thumbs up

Quote:
The N9 looks like an oversized lump which is biased toward mobile computing, whilst the N8 is a phone with some enhanced imaging capability. Completely different. The N9, according to the early photos, has LED flash whilst the N8 has Xenon with it's large sensor camera. And because I'm not a computer geek with a pencil neck and sunken chest I am not particularly interested in paying twice as much for something with not much more to offer me.

Why anyone would want an N9 is beyond me, but each to his own.
N9 an oversized lump? Sure...keep drinking that symbian Kool Aid my friend. N9 will not be that much bigger than the N8 but should walk all over it in terms of usability and specs.

Demos of the web browser on the N8 and UI are too reminiscent of the same old that Symbian 5th edition was.

Go tell Nokia that the device (N9) they are hoping will bring them back some respectability is an oversized "lump". Good luck to you.

Old 30-08-2010, 05:27 PM
Unregistered

n8

JUst hope its right what the lady says on the Video that we will finally get the N8 in September,as loads are anxious an dying to buy the N8,as its been taking along time to finally announce the official release date of the N8,with the london event on the 14th -15th we might finally get the official release date from Nokia

Old 30-08-2010, 05:50 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
N9 an oversized lump? Sure...keep drinking that symbian Kool Aid my friend. N9 will not be that much bigger than the N8 but should walk all over it in terms of usability and specs.
Great. But what if I want a 12MP cam with a Xenon flash?
I don't use Symbian currently btw.

Quote:
Go tell Nokia that the device (N9) they are hoping will bring them back some respectability is an oversized "lump". Good luck to you.
ANYONE READING FROM NOKIA? You new forthcoming N9 phone looks like an oversized lump. FFS make phones that fit in pockets and don't make people look like nurdish idiots.

Old 30-08-2010, 06:38 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Great. But what if I want a 12MP cam with a Xenon flash?
I don't use Symbian currently btw.
May I suggest... and this is only a suggestion... a proper dedicated camera if you want to take great pictures? Don't get all caught up in the megapixel race.

Anyways, I bet you the N9 will have a great camera as well, and the difference in quality of pictures will be next to zero.

You are forgetting one thing: the N9 will not be much bigger that the N8. I will gladly accept a milimiter or so of size to have a proper physical keyboard and an OS that is not a toy.

Old 31-08-2010, 07:31 AM

Samunosuke is on a distinguished road
Difference?

Can someone please point out the hardware differences between the N9 and the E7? From what I've seen they seem to be exactly the same hardware with different OS's (although the processors will definitely be different).

Old 31-08-2010, 11:57 AM
Unregistered

You might be surprised...

"and an OS that is not a toy"

The objective of Nokia is to make MeeGo and Symbian as indistinguishable from the end user point of view as possible... The key word is Qt...