All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 08-08-2006, 06:40 PM

dabomb665m is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Post N73 Issues/Problems Here

After about 5 days of use with the N73, I've run into a rather annoying little issue that I would like to see if anyone else is also experiencing. The N73 is a great phone for the current market and I really can't complain about much as it was a gift from my girlfriend. I see it becoming perfect with the right firmware updates in the future.

Here is issue that I've run into:

The phone doesn't seem to handle software closing (for ram purposes) very well much like the older firmware N80's (and other S60 3E phones). With Best Taskman Trial Software, It is apparent that when certain applets on the phone(such as contacts, call logs, etc) are accessed and then "exited" the phone doesn't actually close these applets and thus they continue to exist in ram... gradually building up usage. It's possible the phone will shut these applets down after a while of idling(untested yet) but somewhere something goes wrong.

The phone will close unused applets when more ram is required for more intensive tasks like realplayer/camera/gallery but it seems the supposedly freed ram will just disappear! On reboot the phone has about 20mb free (with taskman running). The result is that eventually the phone will require a reboot or ram intensive functions will not function properly anymore: eg. the zoom in function when viewing pictures in the gallery. A simple error message will appear asking you to free up more memory by closing applications (even though pressing and holding down the menu button will show you only the standby process, meaning no other applet is being used)

I haven't run into any other issues at this time.
*#0000# yields
V 2.0628.0.0.1
10-07-2006
RM-133
Nokia N73(10)

I suspect this is the first and only available firmware at the moment. Share your thoughts/comments/finds on this thread!

Old 09-08-2006, 01:09 AM

LigerToo is on a distinguished road
Zooming problem is apparently a firmware bug.

Old 09-08-2006, 06:58 AM

I have been deliberately using as many applets as I can on the cell phone to see exactly which one is causing the most problems. It seems now that my phone is stablized at 16.32mb of ram. I'm not sure what I did the past couple of days to make the phone run out of ram... but I will keep you all posted.

Old 09-08-2006, 09:17 AM
Super Moderator

stuclark is on a distinguished road
I have found that the phone is particularly bad at closing the Camera and Gallery applications. It is these two which eat up the RAM on my phone.

On startup, I have about 19MB free RAM, after a day or so in use (having opened Gallery and Camera) I'm down to about 12MB RAM, which is when I get problems zooming. If I kill Gallery and Camera using Taskman, then RAM goes back up to about 16MB.

Firmware version is: V2.0628.0.0.1

Old 09-08-2006, 09:18 AM
Super Moderator

Reception in Visual Radio is also pretty poor. This is likely to be the same firmware issue as the N70 had originally.

Old 09-08-2006, 12:36 PM

dgattenb is on a distinguished road
Errors

Visual Radio only picks up the BBC radio channels..

Not out local one " Red Dragon FM ".... it wont pick up any else bar BBC..??

Firmware... or just snobby?

David

Old 09-08-2006, 12:44 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgattenb
Visual Radio only picks up the BBC radio channels..

Not out local one " Red Dragon FM ".... it wont pick up any else bar BBC..??

Firmware... or just snobby?

David
I can get it to pick up independent radio stations in London, just VERY poorly!

Old 09-08-2006, 03:16 PM

Arcane85 is on a distinguished road
Themes Uninstallation Problem with N73

Hi all. Just bought the n73. Installed themes and worked perfectly. Until i tred to remove them. I installed the themes using the Mcard. and when i loaded the themes, there was the mcard icon at the side confirming it. and so when i changed to a new mcard(1gig) and tried to install the themes. the phone just told me it was unable to install them. However when i selected different themes, they installed just fine. I restored factory settings to the phone and formated the Mcards (both of them) and tried to install the initial themes using the 1gig Mcard but it still wouldnt work.

I'm thinking that the phone cant overwrite themes and it saves an image of the theme in the phone registry or something. I cant find out how to erase that image. if there's such a thing.

Anyone with the experience or expertise, i would greatly appreciate ur help/advice. =)

Old 09-08-2006, 05:34 PM

It seems like the ram problem is something people with the first firmware are experiencing. My problem is the same... Certain applets just don't close very well once opened. At the moment I have to manually close apps with Taskman as well...

Old 09-08-2006, 05:45 PM

dez_borders is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcane85
Hi all. Just bought the n73. Installed themes and worked perfectly. Until i tred to remove them. I installed the themes using the Mcard. and when i loaded the themes, there was the mcard icon at the side confirming it. and so when i changed to a new mcard(1gig) and tried to install the themes. the phone just told me it was unable to install them. However when i selected different themes, they installed just fine. I restored factory settings to the phone and formated the Mcards (both of them) and tried to install the initial themes using the 1gig Mcard but it still wouldnt work.
You could try the last resort FORMAT of the phone's memory *#7370#

Be warned this will clear all youe contacts, calnedar entries, connection settings, etc., so make sure you have backed them up. The Mcard contents will NOT be affected.

Dez

Old 09-08-2006, 08:35 PM

Hard Reset/format

It is apparent that the usual Green + 3 + * reset combination does not work with the N73. It seems the only options we have are the two numerical format methods which I am unsure what the differences are:

*#7370#
*#7780#

For all I know, they both do the same thing and require the same confirmation code of 12345 but I've been reading about how a hard reset is still better than those two options. Good luck with this and keep us posted on the results. I'm reluctant to install themes at the moment. BTW, thanks for the sticky

Off Topic: I got a screen protector today made for the N73 for 200NT (roughly $4.50USD) and it fits flawlessly. Sticking it on is quite tricky to perfect (as the tech at the shop failed 3 times before he got it right... oh well, their loss). The screen must be completely dust/fingerprint/oil free and you must not touch the buttom of the protective film or else a fingerprint is pretty much permanently stuck on the adhesive. It's well worth the money though, I'm not afraid of scratching the screen anymore. They also sell a shell that surrounds the whole phone with cut-outs at the keypad and the rear for the camera slider... but I found that overkill.
Ads

Old 10-08-2006, 01:06 AM

john74 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by LigerToo
Zooming problem is apparently a firmware bug.
use SPLASH PHOTO that solves the zoom memory full problem (N80 did the same)

Old 18-08-2006, 07:56 PM

Shelster is on a distinguished road
Question 2GB card recognition problem?

Hi all,

I'm a newbie to this sort of forum, but desperate for advice

Very excited to get my new N73 in the post the other day, and hurriedly ordered my Sandisk 2GB MiniSD card for it as I'm off on weekend to Iceland soon & will be taking TONS of pics with the fab new 3.2mp camera. Trouble is, the phone can't make it's mind up whether it can see the MiniSD card or not.

First of all it says no memory card inserted, then I take it out and try again 3 times until it does find it. So I try formatting it, and it likes that, so I rename it. Then later on I try to move some pictures and it says no memory card inserted again. Again I take it out and put it back a few times and it recognises it. Then when I try to take pictures it says there's no card so it's going to use the phone memory

I've tried the card connected to my PC with the adapter and it's working fine on the PC, so my reckoning is there's a bug in the phone. Has anyone else had a similar problem, and if so could you please let me know how you got round it? I'm close to tears now, as I just got shot of my dreaded K750i that drove me round the bend with it's faults!!!

Hellllp me pleeeease....

Shel

Old 19-08-2006, 10:37 PM

Planetkaren is on a distinguished road
Crashing issues

My N73 freezes up quite frequently when in camera or video, particularly after I take photo or video and then decide to delete.

Very slow in applications as well.

I flashed to Euro version 1 - I had (011) prior.

Really looking forward to a new and better firmware to fix the bugs. On another forum, a poster said that Nokia will be offering self flashes and a new firmware for the N73 soon.

Has anyone heard this or is it just a rumor?

Thank you.

Old 20-08-2006, 10:39 AM

Eulogy is on a distinguished road
Just a rumour. There are no news saying that we will be able to flash our phones ourselves.