All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 09-03-2009, 07:26 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Ten Things that Nokia Did Right in making the 5800 XpressMusic

Having spent an entire feature slamming Touch in general and perhaps the Nokia 5800 XpressMusic in particular, I think it's only fair to give Nokia some credit and balance the equation with a breakdown of Ten Things that Nokia Did Right in the 5800, things which they didn't have to do but which impressed me nevertheless. Are these ten plus points enough to make the 5800 XpressMusic a must-buy? Maybe, maybe not, but their very existence speaks well of Nokia, of the 5800 and of sister devices to follow.

Read on in the full article.

Old 09-03-2009, 07:55 AM
Unregistered

Spot on Steve. Great article. Not to mention that the 5800XM syncs well with the Mac, and is a great addition. With the inclusion of JoikuSpot, the 5800XM as well as other Nokia devices simply run cirlce around the iPhone. After spending a month with the 5800XM, I did realize that it is a tad bit underpowered but I am sure Nokia can maybe optimize the code a bit more to squeeze every ounce of power out of the CPU. I am waiting for the N97 or the Nokia netbook that will be coming.

Old 09-03-2009, 08:01 AM
Unregistered

How do you get it to sync with the Mac? Is there a feature on this topic?

Great article, I got rid of my iPhone for a 5800 and haven't looked back. Just need to put some podcasts and my music on there now. Will iTunes podcasts play on the 5800 or are they DRM'ed?

Thanks.

Old 09-03-2009, 08:08 AM

fiish is on a distinguished road
I don't have a Mac however I am sure the 5800 works quite well in Mass Storage mode, not sure about the PC Suite mode for syncing contacts and the like.

I replaced an iPhone with the 5800 as well, and I have had no problem loading podcasts on it. I think it probably also depends on the podcast itself - I listen mainly to BBC podcasts which are all in DRM-free MP3 format - it was a matter of finding the files and dumping them in the memory card's Podcasts folder.

Old 09-03-2009, 08:18 AM
Unregistered

Two much more fundamental things that are at the top of my list that make the 5800 a bit more special are: 1. Price. Most were surprised at the low sim-free cost and free with any contract from the launch. 2. Size. Touch would seem to require something larger to accommodate finger sizes, but Nokia seem to have succeeded in keeping the size down.

Very much agree on the keyguard operation, about time it was that slick.

Old 09-03-2009, 08:23 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
How do you get it to sync with the Mac? Is there a feature on this topic?

Great article, I got rid of my iPhone for a 5800 and haven't looked back. Just need to put some podcasts and my music on there now. Will iTunes podcasts play on the 5800 or are they DRM'ed?

Thanks.
Easy peasy. There is an iSync plug-in you can get on the Nokia site. In stall this, and your Mac will see your 5800XM. Then download the Nokia Media Transfer app. It will create a plyalist folder in iTunes that you can fill with your songs, and they are transfered to your 5800XM. DRM'd content will not play on the 5800XM of course. Podcasts aren't usually DRM'd that I know of. I played podcasts all the time on mine.

Old 09-03-2009, 09:17 AM
Unregistered

Talking of DRM, has anyone else lost the ability to download on BBC iPlayer V1.6.0. on V20 firmware? I had the download links working after upgrading to V20, but they've stopped appearing since Friday.
6th March.

Old 09-03-2009, 10:52 AM
Unregistered

No complaints about the phone. But the protective cover is bad. You can scratch the phone while putting inside. could have given a leather cover like e71. Now I am searching for a decent cover.

Old 09-03-2009, 12:28 PM
Unregistered

Hey Steve, what theme is that you got on your 5800? THANX

Old 09-03-2009, 12:52 PM

sapporobaby is on a distinguished road
@unregistered,

What are you talking about? The protective cover is great. I have taken my phone in and out countless times without scratching the phone or the screen. I will admit however, if you run the cover through sand and mud then put the phone in the case there is a chance that it can become scratched or damaged.

Old 09-03-2009, 12:52 PM
bustafone

I thought we weren't supposed to compare this to the iPHONE.
Ads

Old 09-03-2009, 01:59 PM
Super Moderator

timsalmon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Talking of DRM, has anyone else lost the ability to download on BBC iPlayer V1.6.0. on V20 firmware? I had the download links working after upgrading to V20, but they've stopped appearing since Friday.
6th March.
Yes - I have too. I don't think it's anything to do with the FW upgrade, as you say, though but rather the BBC have decided to pull the plug on it. I read somewhere on the iPlayer download page that 'only n96 and N85 can download' content. Very strange. See grid here...

http://iplayerhelp.external.bbc.co.u...r/mobile_phone

Is anyone else's still working? Steve?

Tim

Old 09-03-2009, 02:16 PM
Unregistered

Steve, you forgot to include the goodies included with the phone's packaging. Guitar pluck/strap, phone case and video viewer stand are items most phone don't get and adds performace.

Old 09-03-2009, 02:56 PM
Unregistered

I think BBC allowing downloads on the 5800 was a mistake on their part. When V20 firmware came out it caught them out, they or Nokia never meant to allow it except for premium phones, and now they have caught up and switched it off.

Shame really, because for me downloads are the difference between the iPlayer being useful or useless. Since downloads were switched off on the 5800 I have uninstalled iPlayer, as a jerky streamer it's a waste of memory card space.

Old 09-03-2009, 03:16 PM
Super Moderator

timsalmon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
jerky streamer
If that's true, it's a shame. And although I agree that it's a jerky streamer, some careful handling can smooth out a lot of the jerking - I find that starting the stream then pressing 'pause' for a couple of minutes lets the stream get ahead enough to not effect playback. But you're right, it's a naff compromise when we had download before. I also had it downloading since the FW upgrade, so it can't be as a *direct* result of that.

Oh well, back to the N96 in the back pocket!

Tim