All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 18-10-2009, 11:59 PM

nudger is on a distinguished road
Mac and Nokia..

I'm about to make the transfer to a Mac and I have a Nokia N82. I've read Steve Litchfield's article on Nokia and Mac and I know that transferring multimedia is not a problem, nor is syncing using iSync (or to the cloud with Ovi etc.), nor downloading maps for Ovi Maps with the new Mac compatible map loading software.

What I want to find out is:

1. Is it still impossible to do firmware updates without a PC (I know the N82 hasn't got any more updates coming but for the next phone....)?

2. Is there an alternative to Handy Safe Pro for passwords etc.? - because this program, which I use a lot, doesn't have a Mac version of the desktop client.

3. Am I right in understanding that if I bluetooth a SIS file from a Mac (or PC) to my phone and just click on the file in the received message, it will install automatically? That's it?

Thanks for your input
Ads

Old 19-10-2009, 05:30 AM

nottmbantam is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by nudger View Post
I'm about to make the transfer to a Mac and I have a Nokia N82. I've read Steve Litchfield's article on Nokia and Mac and I know that transferring multimedia is not a problem, nor is syncing using iSync (or to the cloud with Ovi etc.), nor downloading maps for Ovi Maps with the new Mac compatible map loading software.

What I want to find out is:

1. Is it still impossible to do firmware updates without a PC (I know the N82 hasn't got any more updates coming but for the next phone....)?

2. Is there an alternative to Handy Safe Pro for passwords etc.? - because this program, which I use a lot, doesn't have a Mac version of the desktop client.

3. Am I right in understanding that if I bluetooth a SIS file from a Mac (or PC) to my phone and just click on the file in the received message, it will install automatically? That's it?

Thanks for your input
1 - Firmware Updates do not at the moment supprt a Mac. I have owned a Mac for several years and the latest one is a nice little MacBook pro.

Sadly, the NSU is only AFAIK, available for Windows.

Now - here is an option. If you have a newish Mac ( Intel Core Duo ) you can install Windows onto your Mac. I have done this for the sole reason of getting phone software updaets, otherwise, Windows would not come anywhere near my Mac!

I have installed Windows XP Professional. Bought it new, and used Boot Camp Assisatnt to set it up, Worked flawlessly. After Windows installed, I used my Snow Leopard install DVD and set up all the drivers in Windows. If you're going to go down this route, use 32-bit version of Win XP, not 64.

Have a look at Apple website - support - discussion forums for further info / trouble shotting.

Since installing that, I have also set up NSU on the Windows bit of my Mac, but as mentioned, that is the ONLY time I ever use Windows.

2 - I don't use that, I use something called Safe Deposit Box, which does not have a desktop client, just for teh phone, so can't help you there.

3 - Yes, it's as simple as that. Bluetooth the sis file from your Mac to your phone, the file arrives in your inbox as a message. Go into inbox, click on the newly arrived message and it automatically installs.

Good luck.
RM-530
E72-1