All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 07-06-2010, 04:36 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Qt to embrace open governance

A post on the Qt blog explains that Nokia is planning to move Qt towards a more open governance model. The move would see the community having shared control over decisions about Qt and its future roadmap. It follows on from the move to the LGPL license and opening up of the Qt contribution process last year. The planning for the move is at an early stage, but the Qt team are keen to have an open discussion with the community about the details and implementation of an open governance model.

Read on in the full article.

Old 07-06-2010, 07:48 PM
Unregistered

Nokia

Why as i taken ages for Nokia that they have been losing the Race in Top End Mobiles,they never thought Touch Screen mobiles would succede but got this decision totally wrong,an now under loads of Pressure from Apple,HTC,an for a Company who have been leaders in the mobile market for ages,they thought any phone they released would succede an then just look at the N97 an this as been an embarassing mobile from Nokia,an why did Nokia announce the N8 to early when the software is not totally ready an now Motorola releasing a 8 mega-pixel touch screen mobile with xenon flash an i bet Samsung will also shock Nokia as well,Hope something is going to happen at Nokia soon to show they do mean business
Ads

Old 07-06-2010, 09:12 PM

NickAnstee is on a distinguished road
I wish Nokia would stop talking about it and get on with it, nobody in the real world cares about governance models or nice techy discussions the community, users just want bug free hardware and software that performs well with a nice interface/user experience. Nokia and Symbian just seem so detached/far removed from the real world that they have lost touch with their users. They also seem to announce products so far in advance before they are available that they can only be a disappointment when they do actually hit the shelves.

Old 08-06-2010, 05:02 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickAnstee View Post
I wish Nokia would stop talking about it and get on with it, nobody in the real world cares about governance models or nice techy discussions the community, users just want bug free hardware and software that performs well with a nice interface/user experience. Nokia and Symbian just seem so detached/far removed from the real world that they have lost touch with their users. They also seem to announce products so far in advance before they are available that they can only be a disappointment when they do actually hit the shelves.
You are perhaps right in that Nokia could have done a better job in the user experience front and I'm sure they are working on improving that.

However, I admire their effort on the developers community sphere. This builds a much healthier ecosystem where developers are offered more flexibility and possibilities. But satisfying both the developers and the end-users is a monumental task, especially when you are playing catch up.

Apple and Nokia can't have a more different strategy and philosophy. It's gonna be interesting how this going to play out in the long term, e.g. 5+ years.

Old 08-06-2010, 08:38 AM

Jejoma is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickAnstee View Post
I wish Nokia would stop talking about it and get on with it.
I wholeheartedly agree.

It seems that all we have had from Nokia for the last couple of years is a lot of chat about what they will do in the future and endless news items about Nokia acquiring so-and-so that will enable them to do such-and such. Again in the future.

What about right now?

Old 08-06-2010, 08:50 AM

Maybe I didn't express myself well previously, what I was trying to convey is that Nokia seems to have got caught up in the process and lost sight of the end product and user experience. Nokia seems so caught up in ensuring the longevity of the platform through the structured process that they are almost stifling rapid development at the cutting edge, so much so that the robust development process will be pointless if they don't have the volume of end users required to maintain viability. The Iphone 4 has almost caught up with Nokia's flagship devices on most fronts and even surpasses Nokia in some areas with a far nicer interface/user experience.

Old 08-06-2010, 08:51 AM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
I can see the point that is being made here... but all I would say is that foundations are just as important as the final structure.

Much of what Nokia is doing around Qt (and other recent acquisition) is about putting the pieces in place for the next 5-10 years.

But for those that want something now... well there's really not long to wait. The N8 is on the way, as are other Symbian^3 devices. And MeeGo is going to be very important too.

Old 08-06-2010, 12:26 PM

You see therein lies the problem, exactly what I am talking about. The N8, by launch date, will have been hyped for so long that it will be a big disappointment to a lot of people especially now that it will hit the market almost 2 months after the iPhone 4. Two months is a long time/massive advantage to get a new product established and the market momentum captured. Nokia's strategy seems to be these days deliver something mediocre with a lot of hype and then throw in a lot of freebies (such as free navigation etc) until the product becomes desirable. Many people will see the iPhone 4 as far better than the N8 now and won’t worry about a better camera, HDMI out and Micro SD slot as long as the iPhone’s camera delivers acceptable results. It also looks like the iPhone’s video capture will be better as well, something which historically Nokia has been an innovator of and their competitors have not even been on the radar, what a turnaround!! I have been a hardcore Nokia user until now but I think Nokia has really dropped a bullock big time on this!!

Old 08-06-2010, 05:25 PM
Unregistered

Whatever turns up regarding Nokia on AAS there will neagative cup half empty merchants queuing up to put a negative spin on it. Some of these people could have a phone built to their exact requirements and they still wouldn't be happy.

Old 09-06-2010, 06:54 AM

The intention is not to be negative but constructive. Don't get me wrong, I will probably still by the N8 or a keyboarded version if it because 1) I can buy it SIM free, I don't like being tied into a contract for 2 years 2) I can choose where I buy my software for it 3) The camera will be great 4) I like the Micro SD card slot and USB drive functionality 5) I like the multiple homescreens. I just wish that Nokia would focus on 2 or 3 core devices max, that represent state of the art in each price range, rather than the diverse range of devices currently and that they bring the reduced portfolio of devices to market much faster. I also wish that Nokia returns to being the innovator that it once was and that the focus returns to the end products rather than the business being software development. Nick

Old 18-06-2010, 03:24 AM
Unregistered

MOV Converter for Mac is specially designed for Mac OS X users which can convert various video and audio formats to MOV with just a few clicks, including avi, flv, 3gp, mp4, mpg, 3gp, mov, m4v, ts, tp, trp, mts, m2ts, tp, mkv, mod, asf, mp3, mka, wav, wma, mp2, jpg, bmp, ect.
In addition, you can customize watermark at will, such as set image watermark, text watermark, ect.
Category:
AVI to MOV Converter for Mac
FLV to MOV Converter for Mac
DIVX to MOV Converter for Mac
DVD to MOV Converter for Mac
MP4 to MOV Converter for Mac
M4V to VOB Converter for Mac
MPG to MOV Converter for Mac
WMV to MOV Converter for Mac
VOB to MOV Converter for Mac