All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 24-07-2010, 08:12 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Dust to dust... a capacitive Nokia Care Point story

Having used a Nokia X6 for a few weeks, I became painfully aware of a few dozen dust particles and the odd small hair stuck under its capacitive screen. Read on for an explanation of how they got there and what was needed to both remove them and stop dust encroaching in the future.

Read on in the full article.
Ads

Old 24-07-2010, 09:07 AM
marco9012

steve i remember nokia 3250 had this dust problem under the screen too

Marco9012

Old 24-07-2010, 09:35 AM
Jouten

Not Tim Salmon

Steve, have you not seen Tim's desk?

I think it was Tim who was to blame. Not Hungary. Nice try! =P

Old 24-07-2010, 10:53 AM
iFanboy

Maybe Nokia should take more attention to their build quality huh? Seems they didn't learn their mistake from the N97.

Apple have gotten round this by putting the screens directly together therefore no space for dust to get into.

Old 24-07-2010, 12:43 PM
Unregistered

Samsung's Super AMOLED don't have this problem as the capacitive sensor is part of the screen itself.

If you don't to that route then you can bond the entire sensor to screen like the iphone 4.

Of course both methods, replacement costs more since you're replacing both at the same time.

Old 24-07-2010, 12:43 PM
Unregistered

@ifanboy I don't think Apple have got it right, if you google 'dust screen iphone' you'll see a lot of iphone users complaining about this very problem.

Old 24-07-2010, 01:34 PM
Unregistered

On the iphone 2g/3g/3gs, its not bonded together. Only on the 4.

Old 24-07-2010, 01:53 PM
Unregistered

Nokia Care good?

In Brazil Nokia Care is known to be EXTREMELY bad with customers.

Leaving then waiting MONTHS before repair, deleting personal data, leaking personal data to the internet, installing things or using your phone. Or flat out losing your phone entirely.

Nokia is one of the worst in post-sale support.

Old 24-07-2010, 01:59 PM

Tenkom is on a distinguished road
There are 5 nokia phones in my house at the moment. 6500c, 6220c, n86, n900 and a n95 8gb.

The first 3 have proven to be of dubious build quality at best. N900 and n95 have been champs but I really feel the "Nokia build quality" is a myth. Maybe it's model specific but how is that a good thing if you can never know if the next nokia phone you buy is any good?

3 out of 5 phones poorly built is not good.

Old 24-07-2010, 02:12 PM
Unregistered

@iFanboy

"You are holding it the wrong way."

I don't think I have to add anything else.

Old 24-07-2010, 03:16 PM

gazza_d is on a distinguished road
Since this is turning into a nokia Build Quality thread...

I have a Nokia 5230, and a fleabay sourced bicycle phone holder, which is a copy of the Nokia holder.

Out on the bike last sunday, with the phone in the holder and sports tracker running, when I bunnyhopped off a kerb at about 20 mph, and on landing the phone parted company with the holder and bounced along the concrete.
Amazingly, given the impact, the phone apart from a couple of tiny scuffs is undamaged, and it was still intact and working, and has been fine ever since.

Old 24-07-2010, 08:44 PM

oniox is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Nokia build quality

Just the other day my N900 flew out of my shirt pocktet (from height of abt 7feet) bounced off its edge and landed flat on its back on my kitchen tile floor (very hard). To my surprise it only had tiny scuffs around the edge and phone works a charm even 6months on. Try that with iPhone4

Old 24-07-2010, 10:49 PM

nuno123 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down Oh, pleaaase...

I bought a N79 in January '09. Two weeks on and the video board gives up the ghost. Had to wait four weeks to get it fixed. Got it back and the camera button was inoperational. After another four weeks, it was returned.

Returned yes but was it fixed? I don't give a monkey's. With all that messing around, I now need to push the camera lenses in, otherwise I see odd-looking reflections on pictures taken with the LED "flash".

It goes without saying that this N79 is my last Nokia phone and that after 15 years of my only brand of mobile phone.

To wrap this rant up, one final thought. Nokia is a great company for their customers and I'm sure they take pride in that but they don't care much for the users of their produts. A "user" is what I and most of you are.

Nokia's customers are the Vodafones, the T-Mobiles and the Soneras of this world: the networks. With these being dragged to the condition of bit pipes (which is what they are), is anyone really surprised with Apple's success?

It's the user, you-dim-manufacturer-you.

Last edited by nuno123; 24-07-2010 at 10:54 PM.

Old 24-07-2010, 11:29 PM
Unregistered

Application Tsepz

Nokia has average build quality. My 5800 which is only 7months old now has a loose stylus due to the cheaply built latch breaking. I have dropped this phone only once and that was on carpet from my lap,must have been at most a 2ft drop,ive taken great care of it,and yet something breaks even before a year. My N81 dpad startd peeling at a very early stage of ownership, and i dont even want to think about the N80 i had before that. Nokia Care ruined my N81 the1st time. I took it in due to the camera no longer working,a week later i get the phone back and find that the numbnut who worked on it broke the spring loaded keylock switch,took it back,took them well over a month to fix,absolutely pathetic,glad i left.

Old 25-07-2010, 06:07 AM

igmas is on a distinguished road
Hmm I also have that dust under the glass... Mayby I should take it to a care point next week...