All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > Symbian Based Devices > Symbian^3 phones (N8, C7, C6-01, E7-00)

Poll: Do you recommend the N8 to 'ex' N97 users?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
Do you recommend the N8 to 'ex' N97 users?

Old 21-10-2010, 09:11 AM

Gavin Watson is on a distinguished road
N8 owners - Yes or no?

Well, i'm probably one of many old school Nokia users here, dating back to the 101 via many I can't remember but including some that I do, like the 5110, 6110, 9000, 6600, N95 and finally, and unfortunately, the N97.

After the N97 I swore I would never have another Nokia but here I am pondering over the N8 and whether to give Nokia a final chance.

So, as O2 have informed me that the N8 will be available soon and I am aware that some of you already have one of them, this is, I guess, a poll to see if you are so far happy with the N8?

And yes, your response and feedback will affect my decision! If only I had taken more notice of what was said about the N97 rather than 'I'm sure it's not THAT bad, i'll get one anyway'!
Ads

Old 21-10-2010, 10:45 AM

spirit44 is on a distinguished road
i once swore i would never buy another Nokia after the N97

in the end I went for an N8 with the intention of sending it back if it felt ANYTHING like the N97

I'm keeping it. it is brilliant. i have hundreds of songs on it, over 4000 photos and videos and it hasn't crashed once in the 4 days i've had it. i've been multitasking without a problem

it does have issues
-touch input is a little hit and miss at times
-stock browser is rubbish, but i use Opera mini anyway

I would say go for it, but make sure you can return it if it doesn't meet your expectations, its fair to say it has exceeded mine.

As for the camera, my god......

Old 21-10-2010, 11:14 PM

Stuntman is on a distinguished road
I'm an N97 owner. I'm not interested in the N8 due to the lack of a qwerty keyboard. I'm more interested in the E7.

Old 26-10-2010, 10:48 AM
Super Moderator

kontraband is on a distinguished road
so Gavin, you ordered your N8 yet?

Old 26-10-2010, 12:53 PM

I haven't... And it's not looking good... I just don't think I can go through it all again. I'm also looking at the Samsung Galaxy. The jury is still out!

Old 26-10-2010, 01:21 PM

That said, I hadnt checked the poll before I answered. It seems that there is a positive sway on the votes... If I 'do' get one and it gives me any trouble at all I will feel very, very sorry for the staff at my local O2 shop!

Old 26-10-2010, 01:36 PM

xerxes is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Watson View Post
That said, I hadnt checked the poll before I answered. It seems that there is a positive sway on the votes... If I 'do' get one and it gives me any trouble at all I will feel very, very sorry for the staff at my local O2 shop!
If you read around on the web forums (I recommend Modaco for Android forums) you will see that the Samsung Galaxy S has a number of problems including camera issues and problems with the GPS. I think the truth is that all the mobile platforms and devices on the Market come with their own issues and idiosyncrasies, it just that with Nokia, and to an extent Blackberry, the press focussed on the negative while Apple and Android as the current flavours of the month get gloss jobs.

I have recently bought an Orange San Francisco running Android 2.1 and I find it the least "intuitive" (how I hate that word!) interface around. And this is despite many years of using WinMo, Symbian, Palm OS, iOS, Blackberry. I dare say that Android 2.2 is probably on a par with Symbian 3 as far as interface goes and may it's just my recent familiarity with iOS and Symbian that are causing me to struggle with Android. I'm also sure some of the glitchyness of Android would be improved in 2.2 and would be further improved by running on a 400-500 pound handset. It's just that all the high end Androids I have tried feel too cheap and flimsy to justify their price, hence the reason why I decided to dip my toe in the Android water with a cheaper device.

These are all opinions of course. Others may disagree.

Last edited by xerxes; 26-10-2010 at 01:41 PM.

Old 26-10-2010, 06:15 PM

Stuntman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Watson View Post
I haven't... And it's not looking good... I just don't think I can go through it all again. I'm also looking at the Samsung Galaxy. The jury is still out!
A few months back, I was also looking at the Galaxy S. I ended up sticking with my N97 for a various reasons including money. What was a deal breaker for me about the Galaxy S is the GPS issues that I heard about. The quality of the camera was also something that I did not like.

I was really considering the Galaxy S even though it had no physical keyboard. At the time, I was pretty dissatisfied with my N97 that I was almost willing to overlook the lack of a keyboard.

Right now I'm mulling over whether to go with the Desire Z or E7. I had another incident with my N97 this past weekend that renewed my interest in upgrading to one of these phones. The N97 gets unstable if it remains on for a few days. Normally I turn my phone off and on every workday as I switch between my personal phone (N97) and my work phone (BlackBerry). The N97 became unstable because I took a couple days off work due to illness so my N97 had not been restarted for a few days.

Old 26-10-2010, 06:46 PM
Super Moderator

kontraband is on a distinguished road
Yes, I had a couple of die hard samsung fans, who started a bit of nokia bashing when the N8 dropped, say that actually... they were rapidly going of the Galaxy S for a number of reason, inc those mentioned above. Still, there will be plenty of people out there that do just fine with it.

Old 26-10-2010, 09:01 PM

p51 is on a distinguished road
Hey Stuntman,
I seem to be in exactly the same situation as yourself. The Desire Z and the E7 are the 2 devices that have my most attention.

My contract with 3 has just ended (I actually have nothing bad to say about them to be honest) and I am trying to decide what to do. They are offering me the N8 for free on a 30 a month contract. I am trying to work out if I should take it, or move to a SIM only contract and keep my N97 until the E7 comes out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuntman View Post
A few months back, I was also looking at the Galaxy S. I ended up sticking with my N97 for a various reasons including money. What was a deal breaker for me about the Galaxy S is the GPS issues that I heard about. The quality of the camera was also something that I did not like.

I was really considering the Galaxy S even though it had no physical keyboard. At the time, I was pretty dissatisfied with my N97 that I was almost willing to overlook the lack of a keyboard.

Right now I'm mulling over whether to go with the Desire Z or E7. I had another incident with my N97 this past weekend that renewed my interest in upgrading to one of these phones. The N97 gets unstable if it remains on for a few days. Normally I turn my phone off and on every workday as I switch between my personal phone (N97) and my work phone (BlackBerry). The N97 became unstable because I took a couple days off work due to illness so my N97 had not been restarted for a few days.

Last edited by p51; 26-10-2010 at 09:01 PM. Reason: spelling!

Old 27-10-2010, 11:01 AM

aferg01 is on a distinguished road
I'm loving it. Apart from the fact that the wi-fi keeps connecting after I've disabled it and there's no 'share online' feature for photo's.

Old 27-10-2010, 12:05 PM

nottmbantam is on a distinguished road
Well, I tolerated the N97 for about 10 months before finally giving up on it and switching to an E72 - and am now on my second one after giving the first one away to my daughter. It's a very steady performer, and haven't been tempted at all by the N8 - again due to lack of QWERTY k/b.

THe E7 does look interesting, but I'm hesitant over Symbian, so am probably looking at a MeeGo device such as the N9 - right form factor with built in k/b.

I really do think Symbian is under a serious threat for long term future of Nokia's 'top end' smart phones, Android seems to be smashing it out of the water.

But there's something about Android that I can't quite put my finger on, it still sounds a but superficial to me, not quite as 'meaty' as fully fledged Symbian device. As long as the E72 keeps going, and there is every sign it will, I'll just keep looking and waiting.
RM-530
E72-1

Old 27-10-2010, 12:26 PM

strcmp is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by aferg01 View Post
I'm loving it. Apart from the fact that the wi-fi keeps connecting after I've disabled it and there's no 'share online' feature for photo's.
You should try out Pixelpipe from the Ovi Store, it will let you share to lots of places once you have it set up.

Old 27-10-2010, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strcmp View Post
You should try out Pixelpipe from the Ovi Store, it will let you share to lots of places once you have it set up.
I was looking at that not long after I posted my message above.
I've installed it now, and it works great.

Old 27-10-2010, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nottmbantam View Post
and haven't been tempted at all by the N8 - again due to lack of QWERTY k/b.
I know how you feel. Had my N8 for 2 days now, and I'm still trying to get used to having no Keyboard!