All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 19-08-2009, 02:37 PM
Administrator

Tzer2 is on a distinguished road
Which Ovi Store games should we review?

There are something like 600 games in Ovi Store at the moment with over a hundred more being added every month, so we've obviously got a heck of a lot of reviews to get through. With that in mind, which games would you our readers like us to review? Leave a message in the comments section below and let us know. (Check that we haven't already reviewed it by visiting our Ovi Store games section.)

Read on in the full article.

Old 19-08-2009, 03:50 PM
Unregistered

Thank god you asked this question. I read nearly every review when you where only writing about the n-gage games. But now I don't bother because most of them are not worth my (and your) time.

I'm not saying that you should go back to reviewing only ngage games. But you should try to review 'good' games. Not the games with the best graphics or anything but playable games. Games such as "tower bloxx" or "frozen bubble"(i know this is not in the ovi store but still its a good game). And you should review hyped games like "Asphalt" "Need for speed"(and other pc game ports).

The ovi is still gaining popularity. You should get much much more readers in the future!
I'd like to thank you for keeping this site up(and changing it to ovi )
Wish you good luck.

Old 19-08-2009, 04:17 PM
Administrator

Quote:
I read nearly every review when you where only writing about the n-gage games. But now I don't bother because most of them are not worth my (and your) time.
If you just want to read about the really good games, take a look at our Recommended section:

http://www.ovigaming.com/ovi-store-g...l/Recommended/

...but there are also some pretty good games which don't quite make it in there, games that score 60% or 70% on Ovi Gaming may be pretty good fun if you enjoy their genre.

Quote:
Not the games with the best graphics or anything but playable games. Games such as "tower bloxx" or "frozen bubble"
I agree those are excellent games, Tower Bloxx is one of my favourite phone games ever in fact. I had it on a really old phone under the name City Bloxx, but it's the same game.

And we have reviewed Tower Bloxx actually! :-)

http://www.ovigaming.com/ovi-store-g...ower_Bloxx.php

and we did Tower Bloxx Deluxe too:

http://www.ovigaming.com/ovi-store-g...oxx_Deluxe.php

Deluxe was a bit disappointing because the 3D graphics actually spoilt the gameplay as you couldn't see what you were doing any more. The original version was better.

Frozen Bubble isn't on Ovi Store and as far as I know it won't be coming to Ovi Store either (or S60 5th Edition, I asked the author about that).

However there are lots of similar Puzzle Bobble clones on Ovi Store, and my personal favourite is Bubble Popper Deluxe, which has an unusual twist on the concept (watch the video to see how it works, the still screenshots don't really explain it properly):

http://www.ovigaming.com/ovi-store-g...per_Deluxe.php

Quote:
And you should review hyped games like "Asphalt" "Need for speed"(and other pc game ports).
You want to see more reviews of big name games then? Okay, we'll try to do that.

We've looked at a lot of simple games recently because they're quick to do and they're often free so people appreciate knowing about them, but we'll try to get some well-known franchises in the mix as well.
Ads

Old 19-08-2009, 04:25 PM

Arthur is on a distinguished road
Can you please review "Wheel of Fortune" ?

It's in the Ovi store available for the N97.

Thank you.

Old 19-08-2009, 06:10 PM
Administrator

Okay Arthur, added it to the list.

Old 19-08-2009, 10:55 PM

argh is on a distinguished road
Thanks for taking note, Tzer. I agree with "unregistered" - all these little junk games that most people won't even look at anyway aren't really worth writing a review for unless they're good and you think that we really should look at them to stop them slipping under the radar.

Contrarily, the "big name" games that people will have heard of and may buy should be reviewed so that we know if we should avoid them

Edit: I suppose that this is a bit unfair of me, as you won't know which of the "junk" ones are good enough to review until you've already bought and played them, by which time you'll probably want to make the best of your cash investment by writing the review. Still, the reviews that I'd most like to see are those described above.

Last edited by argh; 19-08-2009 at 11:00 PM.

Old 19-08-2009, 11:46 PM
Administrator

Argh, yeah, that's the problem: there's no way to be sure what the junk is until you've bought and played them, and by then you might as well write the review so other people know what to expect. But I take on board what you said about doing big names so people know whether to avoid them or not.

The thing is there are some real gems out there where you wouldn't expect. I thought Bubble Popper Deluxe was going to be yet another generic Puzzle Bobble clone but it was actually pretty good: nice graphics, nice sound, nice gameplay.

On the other hand Cooking Mama was a disappointment because it was so short, so even people who love the console version would probably feel a bit shortchanged by how quickly the mobile version ends.

Old 20-08-2009, 06:34 PM

moonshot is on a distinguished road
Chess

Old 20-08-2009, 09:44 PM
Administrator

Moonshot there are lots of chess games on Ovi Store, is there any particular one you want covered?

Here are Ovi Store's board games:

http://www.ovigaming.com/ovi-store-g...ard_and_Board/

We've already reviewed Chessboard Touch, which is a simulation of a chess board for two human players:

http://www.ovigaming.com/ovi-store-g...oard_Touch.php

Old 23-08-2009, 03:12 AM

marcb is on a distinguished road
How is Puzzle Quest?

I'm curious about Puzzle Quest (aka Puzzle Quest Warlords) and would like to see a review. I have a N73, so it would be great it you test it with a S60 phone.

Thank you,

-Marc

Old 26-08-2009, 04:37 PM
Administrator

Marcb, I've added that to the list.

I'll get started on the requested games now.

Old 31-08-2009, 05:55 AM

lindseyparker is on a distinguished road
Hi Tzer...
I had seen all games on you link. You have very nice collection. I really want reviews of "Brain Tester 24-Pack" and "Bejeweled Twist". I love mind testing games and would like to download these games. I am very excited to play these games.

Old 04-09-2009, 05:47 AM
Administrator

Hi lindseyparker,

We have already reviewed both of those games:

http://www.ovigaming.com/ovi-store-g...eled_Twist.php

http://www.ovigaming.com/ovi-store-g...er_24-Pack.php

They both won our "Recommended" award.

Old 11-11-2009, 02:40 PM
Unregistered

Exclamation New Games to Review

Bomberman