All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Links of Interest

Old 05-09-2009, 05:38 AM
Administrator

Tzer2 is on a distinguished road
First glimpse of hardware-accelerated Bounce for the Nokia N900

Nokia's own 3D platform game Bounce apparently has a new installment bundled with the upcoming Linux-based Nokia N900 smartphone. The graphics are a bit more realistic than on Boing Voyage, probably due to the N900's more powerful CPU and built-in graphics processor. Swedish phone site mobil.se has included a brief clip of the new Bounce in their N900 hands-on video, which you can watch below. Bounce appears at 4:00. (via Maemo Talk)

Read on in the full article.

Old 05-09-2009, 05:54 AM

ccraig is on a distinguished road
the video is pretty high quality so watch in full screen you really get a good view of the detail, the GFX look very awesome indeed, i just need my n900 now its a killer waiting lol and hope for this game to be fully developed to a full game b/c its only a demo

Last edited by ccraig; 05-09-2009 at 06:00 AM.
Ads

Old 05-09-2009, 06:03 AM
Administrator

It's interesting to contrast this with the 5800, which also had a Bounce demo but it was rather jerky.

Old 05-09-2009, 06:12 AM
Administrator

Ccraig is right, press the full screen button in the embedded video if you want to see all the detail, it's pretty good quality if your connection is fast enough.

Old 05-09-2009, 06:20 AM

ccraig is on a distinguished road
I really hope Maemo and the n900 takes off in a big way b/c it as a lot of potential to compete with the best handheld gaming devices on the market
the initial indications are good and its even got the people who was saying "nokia is dead" "there best day are behind them" taking notice and are now back peddling throwing praise at nokia on their sites, its funny how peoples opinions change in week lol

Last edited by ccraig; 05-09-2009 at 06:27 AM.

Old 05-09-2009, 06:27 AM
Administrator

I think game developers will prefer Maemo to Symbian as it's apparently a lot easier to program for Maemo, though I've heard that Symbian is due for a massive overhaul in the next couple of years which could even things out.

Whatever happens, it looks like the software world will get very interesting over the next few years.

Quote:
its even got the people who was saying "nokia is dead" "there best day are behind them" taking notice and are now back peddling throwing praise at nokia on their sites, its funny how peoples opinions change in week l
Well the funniest thing is when you compare what people say about Maemo now to what they said in 2005 when Nokia launched the first Maemo internet tablet. Everyone at the time said it was a total waste of time and money, they couldn't understand why anyone would want a pocket-sized touchscreen internet viewer. But with the success of the iPhone and iPod Touch (which are pretty much the same concept as the Maemo tablets) it looks like Nokia has anticipated the high end market exactly right, and instead of being unprepared they've actually got a device that is a product of four years of development. It took them maybe a bit too long to get it polished and out of the door, but it's here now.

Got to admit I was one of the sceptics about the tablets at the beginning, but once Nokia said the N900 would be a phone too then it all clicked into place.

Old 05-09-2009, 07:38 PM
Administrator

By the way I just noticed something:

When we were All About N-Gage we used to get a steady stream of posts saying something like "N-Gage is crap cos it doesn't have as many releases as my fabulous IPHONE etc".

Then when Ovi Store launched with a release rate of about a hundred new games a month, those posts were replaced by people saying "Ovi Store is crap cos it doesn't have as good graphics as my amazing IPHONE".

Now when we put up a story about a Nokia-exclusive game with high end graphics on an Ovi Store device, they go completely silent and don't post a thing.

Were these people Nokia users genuinely asking for more releases and better graphics, or were they Apple fans looking for excuses to post about their iPhones?

Old 05-09-2009, 08:12 PM

davecozens is on a distinguished road
Personally I'm just unhappy about buying the N97 after seeing this...

NEW: Tweet & Share GPS location: Locator

Fed up of Adware on Ovi? See my Freeware, Wallpaper and Accessories sites...

FREE News Widgets for Symbian, UK Traffic, News, Football, Movies and Gadgets/Tech.

More at www.davecozens.com/

Old 05-09-2009, 08:25 PM
Administrator

Yeah, have to agree with that, the N97 was a bit of a pointless release. The 5800 is basically the same stuff inside but half the price, while the N900 is much better stuff inside,same form factor on the outside, and the same price.

I feel your pain davecozens... :-(

Old 05-09-2009, 08:27 PM
TooMuchMoney

At the moment there are tons of emulators and games for the n8x0 tablets. It's just a matter of time before some/most of this will appear on the n900. The problem with the old tablets games ran a little slow especially with emulators. However with the new hardware should change all this.

Old 05-09-2009, 08:31 PM
Administrator

TooMuchMoney, good point, the new hardware should make existing and new emus run much more smoothly. And there are tons of emulators on desktop Linux which could get ported to Maemo Linux fairly easily.

Old 05-09-2009, 09:50 PM
Unregistered

Anybody know if WINE runs on Maemo? That would pretty amazing, altough it would have to be used on relatively old PC's games, but even something like roughly 5 old PC games running in a phone would be mindblowing.

Old 05-09-2009, 11:27 PM
Administrator

Unregistered, Wine would be difficult because apparently it requires an x86 (i.e. Intel or Intel clone) CPU to be present in order to get PC applications to run, but most mobile devices (including the N900) use an ARM CPU.

More info here, but basically the problem is that Wine isn't a full emulator, it needs a PC processor to be present in order to run Windows software:

http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...2&postcount=10

BUT... don't lose hope, a lot of older PC games have been ported to desktop Linux, and they can then be fairly easily ported to Maemo Linux which means they'd be running natively on the N900.

Old 06-09-2009, 04:04 AM

sandy_1988 is on a distinguished road
@ Tzer2,
Showing off a demo is one thing, and periodically releasing good games is a different thing. Nokia did show off excellent One and System Rush demos long before the launch of N-Gage platform - look how it turned out at the end. I am not ranting about the graphics, but the lack of good games; even Nokia shied away from releasing hardcore games (Dance Fabulous, Creebies are far from being hardcore) after November 2008. And please don't tell me "majority of gamers don't care about hardcore games, they are happy with kiddie and girlie games". If that was the case, N-Gage would be in a much better position economically.

Old 06-09-2009, 08:09 AM
Administrator

Quote:
I am not ranting about the graphics, but the lack of good games; even Nokia shied away from releasing hardcore games (Dance Fabulous, Creebies are far from being hardcore) after November 2008.
First of all there ARE good games, especially Nokia's first party stuff, and we've reviewed lots of Ovi Store and N-Gage games with scores from 60-90% which is the band at which we'd recommend a purchase. A lot of the stuff in Ovi Store is crap and we're not afraid to say that, but it's not all crap (and a certain proportion of crap games is par for the course when you allow everyone to publish games).

Second, this is obviously a personal decision but I think you're wrong to use "good" and "hardcore" as if they were the same thing.

I've spent my entire life gaming, I had a ZX Spectrum as a child, PCs and handhelds later on, mobile phone games nowadays. I think that qualifies me as a gamer.

Apart from phone games, my most played games right now are Animal Crossing, Wii Fit and Endless Ocean. None of those are remotely hardcore so by your standard these are all crap, yet they've given me and millions of other people a lot of pleasure. Gaming is only there to give people pleasure, it serves no other purpose.

Quote:
And please don't tell me "majority of gamers don't care about hardcore games, they are happy with kiddie and girlie games"
Well, what is actually wrong with games that are "girlie" or "kiddie"?

Nintendo have done pretty well lately and most of their stuff seems to be aimed at that kind of demographic. They've also steered totally away from hardcore gamers yet their sales are bigger than all their rivals put together.

Quote:
If that was the case, N-Gage would be in a much better position economically.
N-Gage's problems are largely to do with no one knowing it exists, the games costing twice the price while offering little extra to justify the difference, the client not being preinstalled until really late in the platform's life, and the incredible lack of releases (compare Ovi Store which has about 100 new games a month to N-Gage with 40 games after 18 months).