All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 16-04-2010, 07:49 AM

8Ball is on a distinguished road
Sad day

Well ladies and gents tis a sad day as I write this post from my new HTC Desire. I finally took the plunge and replaced my N97 and sorry to say no regrets whatsoever. Android is the way forward now. Everything is so much more usable. I've had all the N series flagship and nothing compares. Come on Nokia get back in the game with a decent OS we know you can do it!

Old 16-04-2010, 07:56 AM

Teece is on a distinguished road
Yes, I done the same about a month ago, expect I opted for the Nexus One. Still trying to decides what to do with my N97.

Just viewing the Nokia support forum for N devices is depressing, it looks like peoples interest in the N97 has just died (I'm sure as Nokia hoped it would) as there are very few post about the N97 anymore. I wonder if Nokia thinks that is because all N97 owners are happy bunnies now.

Old 16-04-2010, 10:26 AM

nottmbantam is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8Ball View Post
Well ladies and gents tis a sad day as I write this post from my new HTC Desire. I finally took the plunge and replaced my N97 and sorry to say no regrets whatsoever. Android is the way forward now. Everything is so much more usable. I've had all the N series flagship and nothing compares. Come on Nokia get back in the game with a decent OS we know you can do it!
Yes, I have the same impression that Android at the moment, looks a better bet then either Symbian or WinMo. Even with the forthcoming N8, I know it's Symbian ^3, but just the thought of another Symbian device puts me off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teece View Post
Yes, I done the same about a month ago, expect I opted for the Nexus One. Still trying to decides what to do with my N97.

Just viewing the Nokia support forum for N devices is depressing, it looks like peoples interest in the N97 has just died (I'm sure as Nokia hoped it would) as there are very few post about the N97 anymore. I wonder if Nokia thinks that is because all N97 owners are happy bunnies now.
I suspect that it's a bit of both - existing N97 owners who are happy with their phones, but have probably been happy since Day One. I think the ones that are unhappy with the N97 have been unhappy since Day One but have probably moved onto a different device by now - or at least contemplating changing ( like me! ) . It's just the overall impression from reading various forums re the N97 -
it's seems a pretty devisive device!
RM-530
E72-1

Old 16-04-2010, 09:55 PM

Teece is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by nottmbantam View Post
Yes, I have the same impression that Android at the moment, looks a better bet then either Symbian or WinMo. Even with the forthcoming N8, I know it's Symbian ^3, but just the thought of another Symbian device puts me off.

I suspect that it's a bit of both - existing N97 owners who are happy with their phones, but have probably been happy since Day One. I think the ones that are unhappy with the N97 have been unhappy since Day One but have probably moved onto a different device by now - or at least contemplating changing ( like me! ) . It's just the overall impression from reading various forums re the N97 -
it's seems a pretty devisive device!
Yes, I would agree, and the N97 certainly did provoke a lot of emotion, and some anger.

Old 16-04-2010, 11:10 PM

dog-man is on a distinguished road
I am not one of those people who change phones to keep up with new developments.

But.................

I am so fed up with my N97 being so sluggish and buggy, that I am looking at moving to something newer and better.

dog-man

Old 16-04-2010, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog-man View Post
I am not one of those people who change phones to keep up with new developments.

But.................

I am so fed up with my N97 being so sluggish and buggy, that I am looking at moving to something newer and better.

dog-man
Generally, I'm not either. I had my N95 for over two years, I ignored the N95 8GB as it wasn't that much of an improvement, didn't go for the N96 either. Prior to the N95 , I bought a 6680 which had probably been out for a year by that time.

I'm in a similar situation - looking for something that performs better. Although I declared I wasn't going to get a Desire, just looking through video's of the phone in operation - it does look rather slick.
RM-530
E72-1
Ads

Old 17-04-2010, 02:14 AM

lp4u is on a distinguished road
i loved the n97 and have nothing to complain for time being. i complained when it was on firmware v12 but with v20 its ok. however i ordered a n900 and waiting for it. according to reviews its better than android

Old 18-04-2010, 01:00 AM

I had the N97 right from the start, on v10, and then to v11, but v12 was the worst. Eventually, am now on v21, but just find it so slow. For example, navigating to my Photos folder, the thumbnails just seem to take a long time to load up, and when replying to a text message, the reply screen also takes a while to load - this is after deleting all my messages in the hope it will run quicker.

I do like the look of the N900, but in terms of applications, seemingly Android has a lot more to offer at the moment than Maemo, and more and more phones are coming out on an Android platform, so choice and variety are apparently wider at the moment than for Maemo.
RM-530
E72-1

Old 18-04-2010, 07:50 AM

sjdean is on a distinguished road
The N97 is just about usable enough for me. The hardware (GPS) has been fixed and the firmware is stable enough. The features in the OS are second to none, and the hardware capabilities are second to none IMHO too - excluding the constantly low quality cameras despite ever increasing megapixels.

But come on, Qwerty keyboard, 32 Gig memory, 1hr 30 min of video recording, USB Mass Storage mode, addable SIP module.

Put all this with or without a Qwerty keyboard on an android phone, and I'll buy it.

Old 18-04-2010, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjdean View Post
The N97 is just about usable enough for me. The hardware (GPS) has been fixed and the firmware is stable enough. The features in the OS are second to none, and the hardware capabilities are second to none IMHO too - excluding the constantly low quality cameras despite ever increasing megapixels.

But come on, Qwerty keyboard, 32 Gig memory, 1hr 30 min of video recording, USB Mass Storage mode, addable SIP module.

Put all this with or without a Qwerty keyboard on an android phone, and I'll buy it.
Absolutely. Add to that, a built in FM Transmitter and it's a list of features that only the N97 and N900 can offer.

But, the other side of the coin, is that the phone is cumbersome to use, slow and I have the worry it's always going to crash / freeze whenever I need it most
RM-530
E72-1

Old 18-04-2010, 02:42 PM

sjdean is on a distinguished road
I agree bantam. It's such an enigma the N97, such great features all in one package that you don't see on virtually any other phone, yet the GUI and OS is a dated pile of rubbish.

But what good is the OS if it doesn't have the features to back it up.

Old 18-04-2010, 03:08 PM

Yes - I keep looking at other phones and umm-ing and ahh-ing over them, and I know my hesitancy is because the other phones are lacking the features that the N97 ( or even the N900 ) can offer. In day to day use, these are the features that I enjoy and I really would want on my next phone.

If I go out and buy an Android device, I know it wil be slick, reliable, nice to use, good range of apps available, fast etc. But I will be losing out on the real features ( the ones we have already listed ) so I'm in real dilemma. I do want a 'nice to use ' phone, but feel that I'd be losing out at the moment, so I'm kind of reluctantly stuck with the N97 really.

If I could get an Android phone with all the N97 features, I'd buy it today.
RM-530
E72-1

Old 19-04-2010, 07:55 AM

buxz777 is on a distinguished road
to be honest guys the n97 feature list was what drew me in

32gb , fm transmitter , qwerty/touch , gps , 5mp carl zeis , 30fps video , functinal o/s , nothing could touch it in terms of a convergance device that covered all the bases

but things didnt go great with me and the n97 , i tryed , i had 4 replacements and then enough was enough

i eventually ended up witha i8910 which was a super device and then i got a n900

to me the n900 is everything the n97 should have been in the 1st place , its a n97 that just works , loads of ram decent processor functinal ui but a nice looking one designed for touch , 100s of apps there is allready at least 250 in extras and easily another 250 in testing and another load in devil

i havent had so much fun owning a phone since the n95 , the evolving process is immense , there is new things popping up everyday and with qt support and talks of meego running on it the future is looking quite exciting

i would recomend trying the n900 before jumping to android , the n900 isnt perfect for some people due to lack of portrait mode throughout the phone and mms having to be done via the fmms application but its well worth checking out and if the n97 got you excited when announced then the n900 should defently be considered you may just find its everything you wanted and a litlle bit more

Last edited by buxz777; 19-04-2010 at 12:10 PM.

Old 19-04-2010, 09:21 AM

stringent is on a distinguished road
It is a good device, just let down by sluggishness for me. Its getting to the point where its annoying. Sometimes takes a while to open/send text messages. By a while I mean 10-15 seconds. Sure it doesn't sound a lot but if you are like me and send loads then its very annoying. The web browser isn't fluid enough, sometimes I have had it hang and crash.

I am sure for a normal person the N97 is fine. For those of us who really put any device through their paces and use it the way its meant to be used, are probably annoyed with it.

If the Desire was on O2 I probably would have upgraded by now.

Old 19-04-2010, 09:49 AM

dog-man is on a distinguished road
I am happy with what the N97 has but feel very let down by the sluggishness and frequent lockups when taking a call.

If a call comes in when I am doing something else on the phone, it will frequently lock up during the call and the only way out is to remove the battery.

This phone just winds me up, but it does have everything I want. If only a new firmware would make this phone responsive and stop the lockups.

I have around 35 to 38 mb free on the C drive, so it's not a shortage of available memory issue.

I too have my eyes on the Desire as a replacement, but it will cost me as I am locked into a long contract still with Vodafone. :( So I am not sure what I will do.

dog-man