All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 15-03-2011, 01:39 PM

dog-man is on a distinguished road
A sad and a Happy day

Today is the day I dump my N97 and start afresh with a samsung galaxy s.

I have had enough with the slow, clunky 97.

It promised so much, but was not a pleasure to use.
I got the galaxy s as an upgrade on the contract that my wife uses. She wants to keep her existing phone (N95) as she is a technophobe and can barely use the N95.

I am aware that the galaxy s2 is coming out shortly and I will be moving to that when my other contract is due for an upgrade in July.

Now I have to find out where I can get the best price for my N97.
Anyone know where in the UK?

dog-man

Old 15-03-2011, 04:27 PM

matthewrleech is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dog-man View Post
Today is the day I dump my N97 and start afresh with a samsung galaxy s.
I don't know anything about the "samsung galaxy s" so I thought I'd look it up on gsmarena.

Which one is it?

1. I9000 Galaxy S
2. Galaxy S Wifi 5.0
3. Galaxy S 4G
4. I909 Galaxy S

Old 15-03-2011, 04:31 PM

1. I9000 Galaxy S

Old 15-03-2011, 05:37 PM

Stuntman is on a distinguished road
I take it that you are sad for Nokia and happy for yourself. I also feel sad for the person who will eventually get your N97.

Old 15-03-2011, 05:41 PM

My son may have it but he knows I have moaned about it since having it so is not overwhelmed about having it so I may well sell it if I can find some idiot who is willing to pay a fair price.

dog-man

Old 16-03-2011, 08:50 AM

ironass is on a distinguished road
Bon voyage dog-man!

I don't blame you for switching to Android. I have a Nexus One which beats the hell out of my N8 in most areas and is resigned to a drawer as backup... God forbid.

When the CEO of Nokia says..."The first iPhone shipped in 2007, and we still don't have a product that is close to their experience. Android came on the scene just over 2 years ago, and this week they took our leadership position in smartphone volumes. Unbelievable." you know it's time to move on.

I persevered with my N97 and unfortunately lost it last summer and my first thought was... "I feel sorry for the poor beggar that finds it".

Good luck dog-man and I look forward to bumping into you again on Android.

Old 16-03-2011, 10:29 AM

I did try hard with the N97.

I tried various cooked roms as they call them, but even they only slightly improved the phone.

If they could have cured the clunky firmware I would have stayed with the N97 as it has lots of features.

I look forward to the Samsung galaxy S2 which comes out soon. I am looking to move up to that one when my own contract is due for upgrade in July.

One thing I have found that I don't like about the Galaxy is the sat nav facility.

With the maps supplied (Google), the phone needs to connect for it to work. You can't just look at the map when walking around a strange town like you can with a Nokia and not have to connect.

I go to Germany later this year for a holiday and that would be useful.

I am sure there is a way around it though!

dog-man

Old 16-03-2011, 04:27 PM

to_sukanta is on a distinguished road
Another wicket down for the dying community. I feel sad for the phone which promise me to be a mini computer in my hand, but never came back.
I really sometime wise if I could add some more Ram in the phone like the good old day with Desktop, (This should have been standardized now, phone's are more like computer now a days and consumer should have the option to upgrade some hardware)
But hay.. currently I couldnot able justify myself to invest a big amount of money in phone again... (particularly my N97mini is just 15 months old, and we dont have contacts in India... All the phone sold here is unlocked and operator independent, and need to buy with actual price paid upfront)
So I will be hanging around with this phone sometime now, and with this community.. (with daily reducing active member)

Old 16-03-2011, 05:55 PM

Stuntman is on a distinguished road
I actually kept mine around. I didn't want anyone else to suffer as I have. Also, with 32 GB of storage, I use it as a music player. My current phone only has 8 GB and cannot hold all of my music. I like Ovi Maps as well. I saved the GPS coordinates of the grave sites of my ancestors. I visit only once a year, so it's always a pain trying to remember where they are. Ovi Maps also has gives lane indicators, so you know which lane to be in prior to reaching a fork. It's useful to know that you can take multiple lanes for highway exits and such.

Old 16-03-2011, 06:29 PM

snoFlake is on a distinguished road
Hey dog-man good luck and plain sailing and congratulations on your freedom.

I thought I'd gained mine when answered mine with wet hands and the bezel seems to have lifted and water got into the resistive layer. Yipeee no screen response and the phone started going mental unfortunately had all my contacts (well new ones since last sync) and more seriously my calendar. Anyway went back to my old Sony feature phone back up as I tried to get it dry but gave up after a week as seemed to have a residue left between the layers so after about 7 days started looking around for cheap temporary replacement as I wanted to have a look at the new dual core Androids and iPhone5 after they come out over next few months - even looked at second hand C7 then just as I was about to order checked pesky N97 for one last time and of course bloody thing sprang back to life after 9 days of not working grrrrrrrrrr. So 180 quid saved but now stuck with N97 with even more insensitive screen - yipeee.

Back in the jug agane for me hee hee.

Have fun with your Galaxy and the new II when it comes

Old 16-03-2011, 08:08 PM

matthewrleech is on a distinguished road
N97 to N8

@snoFlake Take another look at the N8 before jumping ship. I have no regrets sticking with Nokia and Symbian.

Old 21-03-2011, 09:33 PM

ROBSKI is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Good work Dog Man, I'm waiting for the release of the Galaxy S 2 in Australia. I'm out of contract and may even purchase one in Thailand if they don't hit OZ before July.

Robski

Old 21-03-2011, 09:51 PM

Today, I discovered that the 16GB galaxy s O2 sent me is in fact only an 8GB.

The nice people at O2 will be providing me with the 16GB version I ordered on Wednesday as a doorstep swap!

dog-man

Old 25-03-2011, 11:40 AM

nottmbantam is on a distinguished road
I think I gave it a reasonable shot with the N97, lasted about 10 months. Since then have been using an E72 for nearly a year now, which holds it own, and does the things I need it to.

Have been looking at a Nexus S or may just wait for the Galaxy S2 to come out and then have another look.

Don't see many N97's around these days, a few N97 Mini's, but not the 'classic'.
RM-530
E72-1

Old 25-03-2011, 12:14 PM

The only thing I really miss about the N97 is Ovi maps. I have yet to find anything as good as them.

I thought I would miss the keyboard terribly, but I haven't.

dog-man