All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60 > N-Gage

Old 30-08-2009, 02:21 PM
Administrator

Tzer2 is on a distinguished road
What the N900 and Maemo 5 could mean for Ovi gaming

The N900 has been fully unveiled and is almost in the shops. We know it will support many Ovi services, though there's no word about Ovi Store yet (but that may come in the future). Looking at the hardware itself though, what will Maemo 5 and the N900 offer gamers? See below for some thoughts...

Read on in the full article.

Old 30-08-2009, 02:40 PM

ccraig is on a distinguished road
from what i read at http://maemo.nokia.com/maemo-select/ maemo select will have content both from the community and ovi store, maemo select seems like it will showcase best content from both channels in one place,

Last edited by ccraig; 30-08-2009 at 03:20 PM.
Ads

Old 30-08-2009, 06:03 PM
Administrator

Aha, so the N900 will have Ovi Store as well then... well that's great. :-)

Old 31-08-2009, 02:34 AM
Unregistered

Talking more about Maemo

1) Maemo (as with Maemo 1.x - 4.x) uses Debian Packages for software distribution, and while the software catalogs are VERY handy heritage from the Debian Operating System (the base for Maemo), it still allows the instalation of .deb files from local disks. This , added with some encryption method, might allow for the desired effect.

2) Multitouch has been done BEFORE on the N800 (using probably Maemo 4.x), as you can see here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJWvvn_cePM

I've done a few demos using this idea myself in the past.

3) You bet it. Maemo is hell a lot easier to code for. I remember knocking my head on the wall looking for some KERN EXECs that only happened on the device. With Maemo, everything is much more straightforward as the development plataform is almost the same as the target.

my 2 cents

Old 31-08-2009, 11:39 AM
REMF

Ovi Store for maemo5/n900

the n900 needs commercial apps/games to compete with the iphone, so the sooner nokia releases the Ovi store for its flagship mameo5 device the better.

there is also a fantastic synnergy to be exploited in that the new iphone, the Palm Pre, and the n900 all use the same Omap3 hardware platform, something which makes app/game porting far easier.

the n900 could literally reach for the stars by standing on the shoulders of the industry giant, after all, why would developers port their wares provided there is a secure sales channel in which to increase their sales.

Old 31-08-2009, 12:36 PM
Administrator

Unregistered, that's very very interesting what you posted. Please do register or at least use a username so we can tell when you're posting again, I hope we hear more comments from you in the future.

REMF, you're absolutely right about the need for Ovi Store to be on the N900, and actually the official N900 website does mention Ovi Store coming to the N900 so it looks like it will happen. Ccraig is right, the "Maemo Select" thing is just a filter for Ovi Store content so Ovi Store must be coming to Maemo.

Ovi Store would actually be a perfect fit for Maemo because there is so much freeware on the platform. This is important because freeware seems to be a key ingredient in getting people to use an application shop, it gets them hooked and encourages them to try out the commercial stuff too.

Old 31-08-2009, 02:09 PM
Maemo

maemo-select

Ovi sore is built in maemo-select....

Applications from maemo community and Ovi store.

http://maemo.nokia.com/maemo-select/