All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 19-07-2010, 01:56 PM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Review: AR Pirates

Ewan, with beard and a full head of hair to match, seemed perfect to set sail on virtual seas and go a-plundering for the day in a new S60 5th Edition virtual reality game, AR Pirates - out on the patio. If the thought of blasting ships off Caribbean islands in err... Edinburgh seems a lot to take in, then read the review for Ewan's explanation.

Read on in the full article.

Old 19-07-2010, 02:34 PM
Unregistered

Excelent game

Excelent game, and an example of the type of innovation Symbian needs to get noticed!

Old 19-07-2010, 02:52 PM
fahoum

AG stands for ...

AG stands for augmented reality, not actual reality like u said
cheers
love AAS

Old 19-07-2010, 05:27 PM
Unregistered

Good game!

This is propably the first AR game, that I've found interesting for more than 30 seconds.

Well concieved indeed! :-)

Works fine on Nokia N97, but not on SonyEricsson Vivaz, even though the developer claims that it does :-(
Ads

Old 20-07-2010, 05:26 AM

malerocks is on a distinguished road
I may have been missing something, but where do I download the game from? Can't seem to find it on OVI for my n97 mini.

Old 20-07-2010, 11:22 AM

dylski is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by slitchfield View Post
Ewan, with beard and a full head of hair to match, seemed perfect to set sail on virtual seas and go a-plundering for the day in a new S60 5th Edition virtual reality game, AR Pirates - out on the patio. If the thought of blasting ships off Caribbean islands in err... Edinburgh seems a lot to take in, then read the review for Ewan's explanation.

Read on in the full article.
Thanks for the review. You have made a couple of interesting points on the trial game that I'd like to address, as one of the developers! In particular, the comments that the gameplay is not varied enough and that the trial version is too short.

I think I can address both of these together. In fact, I think it is because the trial version is too short is why you might have got the impression that the game play is not varied enough.

As mentioned in the review, the earliest levels in the trial version are not too difficult (by design) and I think our conservative limit on the number of trial level plays does not give you a real taste of what the game is like beyond these first few levels. There is a lot more depth and challenging game play further into the game!

Game play gets a lot more frenetic as you encounter waves of new types of enemy ships with different speeds, fire-power and damage models, attacking in all sorts of formations. Simply launching cannonballs into the path of a ship is no longer an option! There is strategy involved in balancing the need to protect yourself by damaging or sinking the largest threats and dodging incoming cannonballs and protecting the island from too much looting by the lighter, faster ships.

We are currently considering how to restructure the trial version to give a better taste of the full game. Comments welcome. I'll post any updates here. The new trial version will install over the old one so there's no reason not to download the current trial one from arpirates.com now

Old 20-07-2010, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malerocks View Post
I may have been missing something, but where do I download the game from? Can't seem to find it on OVI for my n97 mini.
Get it directly from arpirates.com. It should also be appearing in the Ovi store soon.

Old 26-07-2010, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylski View Post

We are currently considering how to restructure the trial version to give a better taste of the full game. Comments welcome. I'll post any updates here. The new trial version will install over the old one so there's no reason not to download the current trial one from arpirates.com now
UPDATE:

We've updated the trial version to enable players to get a better taste of the game. The trial now lets you play levels 1, 3 and 6 and there is no limit to the number of plays. This enables users to get to grips with the AR and to see more into the game. We have also put some of the instructions upfront in the trial version to help newcomers to get started.

If you have any problems, questions or suggestions feel free to contact us through arpirates.com