All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 02-06-2006, 07:20 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
The pros and cons of .mobi

Ewan's been mulling over the arrival of .mobi, a domain extension dedicated to mobile access. .mobi has its fans, but it appears that Ewan's not one of them, arguing that it'll cause confusion and fragmentation.

Read on in the full article.

Old 02-06-2006, 09:44 AM

rbrunner is on a distinguished road
Fascinating

For me this is fascinating stuff, all these new top-level domains, with .mobi only the latest entrant in a long line. Each and every new such TLD flopped, and nevertheless new ones keep coming. Why?

I think they continue to multiply because the players involved know that this is mostly harmless and pretty unimportant entertainment (although they would never admitt this, of course). In the case of .mobi, players like Nokia can make a point about the importance of the "mobile web" and get some attention and free publicity; the .mobi registrar makes some nice money; and after a while, without any risk to get dangerous or controversial, .mobi will follow .name, .coop, .aero and so on into peaceful obscurity.

In contrast, look to things that are really important. They do not just pop up like that, as a form of entertainment for the Internet masses and free-publicity-generators, but are bitterly fought over for many years, until finally a consensus is reached. Things like the DNS with Non-Latin scripts like Arabic, Chinese and Japanese, for example.

If .mobi was important, we would not yet have it, that I am sure about!

Old 02-06-2006, 12:53 PM

ktabic is on a distinguished road
While I agree with you that .mobi isn't particularly important, especially seeing as sometime in the (not particularly distant) future, the main computer that will be connecting to the net will be a phone, I don't think that your reasoning for it's unimportance is quite right. The difficulties in adding a tld is more commercial (who gets to make money from the registration process) or politcal (the .xxx tld) than technical (a dns server and a text file editor).

.mobi may be useful for a little while, but I doubt it

Old 03-06-2006, 06:07 AM

2more is on a distinguished road
Totaly uselesss, in my opinion.
Ads

Old 06-06-2006, 01:53 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
I do agree with a lot what is aid about .mobi. However it should raise awareness about the need to create mobile sites, or one would hope consider how PC sites can be made (via CSS) to be more mobile friendly.

Old 06-06-2006, 07:11 PM

Jj03 is on a distinguished road
not totally useless, but it will be disregarded. . . sadly.

Old 07-06-2006, 05:14 PM
Administrator

J2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud of
Rafe,

I guess you won't be taking the .mobi variations of the various domains you own then?

If not only to protect your IP?

Old 07-06-2006, 06:38 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Yes I will try and get hold of them, although given what happened with .eu I don't suppose it will be easy. Given this is a mobile site .mobi probably is a good thing.

Old 08-06-2006, 04:22 PM
Administrator

J2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe
Yes I will try and get hold of them, although given what happened with .eu I don't suppose it will be easy. Given this is a mobile site .mobi probably is a good thing.
For ICANN this is mission accomplished, and is why they keep releasing so many extensions.

I don't think you will have too much trouble.