All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 10-10-2008, 11:14 AM

machone is on a distinguished road
Angry Stay away from this update...

Hi all,

Well, the fun just keeps on coming...

I think I may have been the first to send this news to Steve yesterday, and boy do I regret it! I have just spent the last 4 hours at the Nokia repair centre here in South Africa raising hell, and it looks like there is nothing they can do.

The new version will not work with the latest version of Blackberry, and there is no way to revert to a previous firmware. Having spoken with Nokia (and logged a call with Finland) it appears that blackberry will not get any new versions for the E90.

What a horrible situation - our corporate standard across 4000 employees and 76 countries is blackberry, though many people run Nokias because they believe they are superior phones (I was one of those).

It now appears that the new firmware has turned my E90 into a lavishly expensive brick (so I'm with you timsalmon ), as without the corporate solution for contacts, mail, and calendar, it is pretty useless.

Nice one Nokia -

Any advice out of the swamp would be well appreciated.

Cheers,

Mark.

Old 10-10-2008, 12:39 PM
Unregistered

Getting a route with the new maps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I now compared my N82 running Maps2 side by side with E90 running maps 1.2. The feature they deleted was called Route to and Route from. While I dont begrudge the Maps people making a buck, I think its sneaky offering a feature and then disabling it later (when they realise they arent getting as many subscriptions as they wanted, or anticipated) The dishonesty in this is that, the guy testing the phone in the shop buys the phone with the feature (even possible as a result of the feature. It then gets disabled a year later - essentially breaking faith with the original deal) What aggrieves me even more is Nokia's apparent complicity in this. Or was the deal from the start that they would pull the functionality as soon as Nokia have sold enough of the model and don't need the promise of this functionality to sell the phone anymore? Not good. This is cheating. I, for one, wont upgrade.
Here's how you do it with the new interface:

Click on a point
Select 'Add to route'
Press Options>Show route

Sorted.

Old 10-10-2008, 12:47 PM
Unregistered

My solution for problems with upgrading

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickAnstee View Post
I tried to update my E90 last night, multiple battery in/out cycles etc and it is still broken, I gave up at about midnight. All previous updates have run smoothly up until Wednesday when I was updating my N96, I was prompted to update NSU to the latest version, not sure that has got anything to do with it.

Anyway not sure what to try tonight, I will leave the battery out all day and see what happens. At the moment I get a slight flicker in the screen after the battery in/out cycle and a very faint, non backlit Nokia screen but it doesn't proceed further it goes from 15 min to the battery in/out cycle screen.
Nick
I was having the same problem, and so I moved to a different computer that also had Nokia PC Suite installed, and then I noticed it was a later version of the suite. Whether or not that made the difference, it upgraded my E90 first time. The version that worked was 7.0.8.2 (and the one that didn't was 6.82.23.2).

So check if you need to update the PC Suite.

Old 10-10-2008, 01:03 PM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by timsalmon View Post
Yes, tried all the usual S60 tricks. Thanks though.

I do remember Steve L writing about this state-of-phone some time ago where he said 'don't panic' and had some pointers for rescue, but can't seem to track the article down in the forum using the obvious search phrases. Anyone?

Tim
It was http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/suppo...are_Update.php

Old 10-10-2008, 01:43 PM
Super Moderator

timsalmon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by slitchfield View Post
No joy, I'm afraid. The logo appears but NSU won't 'find' the E90 however long I wait it seems. Tried all sorts of combinations and repetitions, also on a PC running XP. Looks like if it's awaiting instructions, there's no way to defibrillate.

Thanks anyway for finding the link.

Tim

Old 10-10-2008, 03:30 PM

shadamehr is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down

OK, THE BAD NEWS BITS...

1) No, I was as right as I knew I would be - there is STILL no Video Ringtones, in this Firmware. Nokia, hang heads in shame - I use this to play a movie maker based slideshow of each of my contacts, taht pans between a shot of them, and then a shot of thoer company. A la how my E51 did things, and all the work I put into making these videos in the first place. Oh well.

2) Not sure if this is something new, but now, in my Dialled numbers list, I have an entry for every single call to the same number I make - that is to say, if I call a number, and it is engaged, and I ring it again, and so on, then it is list ten times in my Dialled list. Before, I seem to think (and could be wrong), that it was just listed ONCE, but with a number at the end signifying how many times it was actually dialled. But this could well be wrong, as it's from memory.

3) Geotagging still not built in - so you will still need to download Location Tagger folks. In fact, I am starting to think this new FW is nothing more than a Bug Fix release, barring one or two new items. Certainly Nokia have NOT created it from a "What's missing at the minute, that all the other handsets around it already have" perspective.

3) It's possible they have done something with javascript/java apps in this FW, as I now cannot get the java Applet 'Mail by Google' to work (note: this is simply the individual version for GAFYD users, of the normal Google Mail java applet. I now get the following error, when I try and run it (even after a clean install):

"Network Error: java.lang.illegalStateException: This method is not supported in com.nokia.mid.ui.FullCanvas"

In terms of the Good Points of this new Firmware, it's too early to say, as os far, i notice nothing different, other than the usual clean install speed boost any wipe would do. But I am sure that overall, it's a good thing, this new firmware, right folks...? *lol*

Old 10-10-2008, 04:13 PM

ScottE90 is on a distinguished road
Not noticed anything at all yet, but as the days roll on, hopefully more will transpire.

My upgrade went without a hitch, im on a generic uk mocha product code from the post in the forum (previously 552464). It installed fine first time, no lock up issues at all...

Glad the recent calls list is now showing all attempts, as if you phoned a contact cards house number, then mobile, then went to redial, it would redial the mobile one, and thus your attempt to dial the house number for that card would be obscured in the list...

My gprs seemed a little faster last night, not tried 3g or 3.5g yet...

Although, on a pop3 mailbox, i seem to have an issue deleting emails which i didnt have before. Eg, i cant delete them? Anyone else got that?

Ive also had the device conk out when trying to download catalogues (once in quick office, and once in the download application), which hadn't occured before.

Bluetooth to the pc works fine still, im sure when i sync to the car it will be fine to.

There was a changelog for the last firmware update im sure.

Oh, and the nokia pc suite link was dead as a dodo last night on the UK nokia site. 7.0.7.0 was linked, but file not found. Goto the US site and got version 7.0.8.2 no problems (and at 1.1mb/sec, woohoo)

Old 10-10-2008, 07:40 PM
Unregistered

On a Vodaphone supplied E90, can only be updated to v7.40 :-(

Is there anyway around this?
Ads

Old 11-10-2008, 02:57 AM
charliemike

hi steve! just updated my phone with the v300 firmware. can't seem to find any cosmetic change in the music player though...any input on this? all in all, things seem quite the same except for the flip transition which has gotten quicker

Old 11-10-2008, 07:51 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadamehr View Post
OK, THE BAD NEWS BITS...

3) It's possible they have done something with javascript/java apps in this FW, as I now cannot get the java Applet 'Mail by Google' to work (note: this is simply the individual version for GAFYD users, of the normal Google Mail java applet. I now get the following error, when I try and run it (even after a clean install):

"Network Error: java.lang.illegalStateException: This method is not supported in com.nokia.mid.ui.FullCanvas"
I have the same problem. Tried with a fresh install of a latest gmail app, but still the same error. :(

Old 12-10-2008, 01:43 AM

Liquid_Li0n is on a distinguished road
what do you mean with cosmetic update for music player and new download!
Do you perhaps have a screenshot?

Is is known when the official changelog will appear because I got so many apps on my phone and don't like to update and have some work setting them all up again (even after backup from card some still need to be reinstalled...) but I really want to have the latest version ofcourse

My Nokia Phone history--> 6150 | 3210 | 6210 | 6600 & N-Gage | N70 & 9500 | E61 & N73 ME | E90 & E50 | N900

Old 12-10-2008, 07:24 AM

machone is on a distinguished road
hi Liquid Li0n,

I would stay away from this upgrade - it does very little real in the way of performance enhancement, and it harms more than it heals...

Mark.

Old 12-10-2008, 08:13 PM

goose is on a distinguished road
I have read here that someone elles has the same glitch as me, flash player has reverted to version 2 since the upgrade and my front speaker has stopped working..... any ideas please

Old 12-10-2008, 09:49 PM

Liquid_Li0n is on a distinguished road
If I read all this, especially machone's post, I will just wait for a newer release then the v300

thx already

My Nokia Phone history--> 6150 | 3210 | 6210 | 6600 & N-Gage | N70 & 9500 | E61 & N73 ME | E90 & E50 | N900

Old 12-10-2008, 09:59 PM

shadamehr is on a distinguished road
Exclamation

Another POOR new thing I find, is how it handles text messaging, and the stand-by screen.

Previously, as best I recall it, if you were IN your Inbox, browsing through messages, and you clicked on one of them, and chose to reply, then once your message was sent, the place you got 'dropped back to' was where you were before-hand - namely in the Inbox screen.

On the other hand, if you used a keyboard shortcut for example, to create a brand new text message from scratch, then once it was sent, you got dropped back to the standby screen.

With me so far...?

Well, with v300, I now find that just about everything I do messaging wise, now drops me back to the Standby screen, and this is not the correct methodology.

For example, just now, I received a message from my girlfriend. but being busy, I just clicked the hang up button to get the notification off the screen, and have it wait in my Inbox unread for me.

So when I later now went into the SMS Inbox, I opened up her message, from the Inbox. I then clicked reply. And when it was sent, I got dropped back, NOT into the Inbox, as the previous firmware would have done, but instead, back to the standby screen.

This is NOT Series 60 adopted methodology or correct behaviour?

As I recall it, if a user was in the Inbox folder, and opened a message and replied to it, once sent, you got dropped back to the Inbox folder.

Now, for me at least, I find that if I respond to messages from inside the Inbox folder, I nevertheless now get dropped right to the Standby screen, once it is sent.

Can anyone else test this and confirm if it does it for them please?

But it's mighty frustrating, if you were wanting to respond to a lot of messages in your Inbox, as you get dropped out of it to the Standby screen instead after each response is sent off.

Doh.