All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 10-12-2009, 08:19 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Skype Symbian in beta - fully featured native client

Skype has released the first beta of its own native Skype client for Symbian phones. The Symbian Skype client supports a full range of Skype functionality including Skype to Skype calls, Skype Out calls, instant messaging, file transfer, credit top-up, voice mail access and more. In the beta phase a limited number of S60 3rd Edition Feature Pack 1 and 2 phones are being support. Compatibility will be extended to other phones in due course. Read on for screenshots and additional information.

Read on in the full article.

Old 10-12-2009, 09:02 PM
Unregistered

Installed it on my micro SD card

I installed it on my micro SD card instead of the phone memory. I signed in and checked it out. I think i'll stick to the new Nimbuzz 2.2 though. I barely make VoIP calls though so don't take my word for anything - i have no 3G on my Nokia N85 b/c of a frequency non-compatibility issue.
Ads

Old 10-12-2009, 09:07 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Yes power users might want to stick with Nimbuzz / fring etc. But the Skype client does have the sense of familiar / simplicity going for it - better for the less techy users?

Old 10-12-2009, 09:31 PM
Unregistered

Fring and Nimbuzz always lagged during skypeout calls. I wonder if this native app would lag during skypeout calls.

Old 11-12-2009, 09:55 AM
Unregistered

Why aren't you allowing comments on the Lee Williams interview?

Is it because it was horrible puff piece, about a man who is in complete denial of all the issues facing Symbian? No problems with the UI, no problems with the underpowered hardware? Really?! Even Nokia have moaned about the first and held their hands up on the second.

Admin note: Have added comment thread - not sure what went wrong - suggest people email me rather than comment on another thread. And the point of the piece it is a transciption of an interview with Lee Williams putting his point across.

Old 11-12-2009, 02:18 PM

phil9500 is on a distinguished road
Hi,

Sadly enough its not working on the E72 :(

It does everything except that correspondents cant hear eachother

Old 11-12-2009, 03:54 PM
Unregistered

Works well on my E55 despite not being supported. .

Old 11-12-2009, 04:16 PM

neilhoskins is on a distinguished road
Question

My big problem with Skype (I've always used SIP for VoIP) is the fact that it's a peer-to-peer technology, so instead of investing money in those pesky expensive server farms like Google and other IM/VoIP services, it uses my bandwidth and my computer resources when I'm not using them. (If you don't believe me, try leaving the Skype client running on your PC with nothing else active, then settle down to watch the telly but with your modem and Task Manager in view: within half an hour your modem lights will be flashing like crazy and half your PC resources will be being used.)

Sooo... my $64,000 question wrt the Skype mobile client is whether it does the same thing? If I leave the client running on my handset, will it be gobbling up my bandwidth, battery and resources while the bloke down the road is Skyping his family in Pakistan?

Old 11-12-2009, 04:21 PM

djmuzi is on a distinguished road
Not good loking
No notifications
No calls possible (I hear only the noise)

on my N86. Nimbuzz is 1000times better

Old 11-12-2009, 04:27 PM

Tuulta is on a distinguished road
Experiences on E71

The current beta of Skype for Symbian works on my E71 (with new firmware installed last week).

Here are my experiences:
- Overall voice quality was very good.
- There were some cutouts for 3 seconds of the two-minute call.
- There was a delay of about one second when calling from Skype PC client to the Skype Symbian via 3G connectivity.
- The Symbian client does not yet integrate into E71's call management functionalities, which means that you cannot answer as usual with the green button or with bluetooth handsfree or some other headset. You can answer to a call only with the left context button, "Accept".

All in all, the new Symbian client works clearly better than Fring, which I tested a couple of months back and found it unsuitable for any real-life use.

Next week, I will test this:
- Calling between two E-series cell phones via Skype Symbian clients on both
- Calling from Skype PC client to Skybe Symbian client via WLAN connectivity

Old 11-12-2009, 10:43 PM
Unregistered

NO LAGGG!

Unlike numbuzz and fring there is no lag during skype-out calls. Its perfect over WIFI and works great on 3G.

I'm sure with a future version this native skype app would be perfect.

Old 12-12-2009, 10:38 PM
Unregistered

@ neilhoskins

You must be using Windows, because I have never seen anything like that on linux. I use Debian GNU/Linux and Linux xlient has never caused anything like that. Are you sure that your windows system is not infected by virus, trojan or something like that?

Old 13-12-2009, 01:51 PM
Unregistered

No N80? I stay with Nimbuzz.

Old 13-12-2009, 05:39 PM
Unregistered

"You must be using Windows, because I have never seen anything like that on linux. I use Debian GNU/Linux and Linux xlient has never caused anything like that. Are you sure that your windows system is not infected by virus, trojan or something like that?"

That is how Skype works.

http://www.skype.com/help/guides/p2pexplained/

A true P2P system, in our opinion, is one where all nodes in a network join together dynamically to participate in traffic routing-, processing- and bandwidth intensive tasks that would otherwise be handled by central servers.

The high resources use by Skype is why some universities and companies ban Skype.

Old 14-12-2009, 11:19 AM

neilhoskins is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post

http://www.skype.com/help/guides/p2pexplained/

A true P2P system, in our opinion, is one where all nodes in a network join together dynamically to participate in traffic routing-, processing- and bandwidth intensive tasks that would otherwise be handled by central servers.
Thanks for that. So does anybody know the answer to my question? Do my handset resources get gobbled-up by other Skypers, or maybe mobile users freeload off PCs on landlines. Either way, I think I'll be sticking to SIP.