All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 21-01-2010, 01:01 PM

malerocks is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jejoma View Post
How did you download it? The only link I have found is through the mobile browser that says I have an N97 so it won't download.
Go through a web browser on a pc. Then while downloading, say that you have the mini.

Old 21-01-2010, 01:22 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by malerocks View Post
Go through a web browser on a pc. Then while downloading, say that you have the mini.
Doesn't actually work...going through a web browser says "enter your mobile number and we'll text you a link". Everyone and their dog must be trying, because it's been nearly 30 minutes now and I haven't received my text yet.

Of course, the other option ALSO won't work :( - visit www.nokia.mobi/maps/download from your mobile browser, which if you don't have a compatible phone or browser doesn't provide a download URL...grrrr!

So...PLEASE can you post the actual URL link? If you have it? Presumably you received the SMS when it wasn't bogged down and worked, and linked to it that way?

Pretty please!?! With cherry on top?!?!

Old 21-01-2010, 01:32 PM
exnokfan

nok suks

although ovi maps is a great nav system NOKIA PHONES SUUUUUUCK!!!! i hate them all except the e71 but exactly on the e71 ovi maps is not great when on voice navigation mode because a black column uses about half of the right screen displaying a few digits.

WHAT IS WRONG WITH NOKIA???

Old 21-01-2010, 01:45 PM
Unregistered

I see it's not available for N97 and N86 8MP. When will the N86 receive it? Does anyone know???

Old 21-01-2010, 01:49 PM
Unregistered

So Nokia must be seeing it's revenue stream coming only from the sale of hardware from here on. You would be a fool to pay them for any service or software (as I did with Maps a few months ago) as if you wait a short time it will be free.

Old 21-01-2010, 01:51 PM

davidgilson is on a distinguished road
This uses up a big chunk of C drive.

Before updating, I had 33MB on my E55's C drive, and now have just under 22MB!

Old 21-01-2010, 02:05 PM
Brendan Donegan

For anyone speculating, this is NOT using Qt. I extracted it with SISExplorer and checked, no sign of any Qt binaries. I think the explanation for the size is all of the extra plugins (Michelin, Lonely Planet) that are included.

Old 21-01-2010, 02:11 PM

davidmaxwaterma is on a distinguished road
nice bass

I love that low bass note on the end of the promo video

Old 21-01-2010, 02:47 PM

UKJeeper is on a distinguished road
Nice birthday present for me!
Ads

Old 21-01-2010, 02:49 PM
Unregistered

A BIG laugh out loud at the negative comments on here. MAN! I mean what WOULD make you happy?! NOTHING, that's what. Some people are just a cloud of negativity.

Nokia just beat the entire market and gave totally free satnav across the board on their superb phones! This sort of thing is unheard of!

Are you all a bit sore because you just stupidly went and bought an iPhone or Android? Oh dear. Sorry. Maybe switch back now eh, because Symbian's the future!

So there's a few teething problems with downloading, or it's not available for your handset yet? SO WHAT? Ever heard of 'patience'? Ever heard of 'gratitude'?

Seriously whingers, wake up! Smell reality. PLEASE - Show me the iPhone that offers free global turn by turn navigation off and online with free traffic and POIs, for under 100. PLEASE - Show me the Android phone that matches that. PLEASE - show me the WinMo or Blackberry that matches that.

You can't, can you? And you'll never be able to either. Meanwhile, I'll show you the Nokia 5230, as mentioned in the article. Nokia beat the entire market, and are better than the entire market. They are the champions. Live with it.

And if you STILL hate Nokia because the UI is a little slow on some phones, compared to iPhone or Android, and despite all THEIR weaknesses in comparison to Nokia, then so be it. Good bye, enjoy your iPhone's and Androids with their high prices, and numerous failings.

Old 21-01-2010, 03:10 PM

nwhitfield is on a distinguished road
On my generic E72, the first time I tried signing into Ovi, the app quit, but after that it's been fine, and has synced all the places I plan to visit in Antwerp this weekend.

Old 21-01-2010, 03:19 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I see it's not available for N97 and N86 8MP. When will the N86 receive it? Does anyone know???
N97 is awaiting a firmware update in "few weeks" time according to some sites - the N97 mini already has up-to-date compatibility.

Finally received the SMS link. The URL:

www.nokia.mobi/maps/dl

Almost identical to the one I posted earlier, and sadly BOTH of these check your device. If you're not a compatible model, no link appears for the software to download.

Wonder what changes they made in 3.03 that require firmware updates to be made to N97 / older models? Why not just make 3.01 free-license model too?

3.01 -still- requires you to buy turn-by-turn and traffic licenses BTW which I think is disgusting considering it's virtually the same product.

Old 21-01-2010, 03:25 PM

neilhoskins is on a distinguished road
It just occurred to me: what happens if you just forked-out for a year's navigation?

Old 21-01-2010, 03:30 PM

krisq is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
N97 is awaiting a firmware update in "few weeks" time according to some sites - the N97 mini already has up-to-date compatibility.

Finally received the SMS link. The URL:

www.nokia.mobi/maps/dl

Almost identical to the one I posted earlier, and sadly BOTH of these check your device. If you're not a compatible model, no link appears for the software to download.

Wonder what changes they made in 3.03 that require firmware updates to be made to N97 / older models? Why not just make 3.01 free-license model too?

3.01 -still- requires you to buy turn-by-turn and traffic licenses BTW which I think is disgusting considering it's virtually the same product.
I've installed N97 mini version on my N97. Works just fine but needs at least 20mb of free space. UI is great

Old 21-01-2010, 03:51 PM
KPOM

Google vs. Nokia

This is a welcome move, but let's give credit where credit is due. Google made navigation free for Android 2.0 and 2.1 devices. Free Ovi Maps is better since the maps are downloadable, but Google came up with the concept. Either way, it's great news. Expect Apple to follow suit.