All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 23-03-2010, 02:17 PM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
1 million downloads of Shazam on Ovi Store

Shazam announced today that its music recognition application has been downloaded by over one million Nokia users from the Ovi Store since its launch in August last year. The Shazam app has been downloaded in more than 200 different markets onto over 40 different handsets. Read on for further details, a video interview and a demo with Shazam's Iain Dendle at MWC 2010, together with some additional App Store commentary.

Read on in the full article.

Old 23-03-2010, 02:26 PM
Unregistered

Shazam is nice, no doubt but it also raises the question, why they don't use the store to sell their premium version instead using a strange looking website which doesn't work. It doesn't like my access point. The success of a store is not measured by the number of free apps downloaded but by the number of paid apps downloaded. And if one of themost successfull apps chooses to use something else for payment, it puts a big question mark on the ovi store.

Old 23-03-2010, 03:01 PM
Unregistered

Why not also report that the Ovi site is hosed as normal?

Old 23-03-2010, 03:11 PM
Unregistered

Either Ovi Store or Shazam needs to fix what phones Shazam is listed as compatible with. For some reason it is now incompatible with the N95 8GB. I still have it on my phone but it appears to be another problem to add to the list with regards to the Ovi Store (my other major one is the lack of updating applications via Ovi Store).

Old 23-03-2010, 03:50 PM

neilhoskins is on a distinguished road
They're a belting good company, too. Because the Ovi store works only (very) intermittently on my handset, they pointed me to the sisx file and gave me an alternative way of paying.

Old 23-03-2010, 04:31 PM
Unregistered

Shazam doesn't work on N97 w. firmware 20.xx.xx and onwards

Shazam doesn't work on N97 w. firmware 20.xx.xx and onwards, which is really crappy.

It is quite a fail not to support the newest firmware in a piece of software.

Old 23-03-2010, 04:45 PM
Unregistered

Rafe,

The reason the App Store is successful is because it works. Ovi can not claim the same degree of reliability. Another reason is that developers have said for years that Symbian is very difficult to develop for. How about the 70% - 30% split that developers get with the App Store? Just all things Ovi are terrible at the moment. Go try and provision a phone to sync with it and report back how it goes. Nokia's assertion that it will become a services company is laughable. How can you offer services when people cannot even access them? The fact that you guys fail time and time again to really eats at your credibility. How about some really critical reporting that delves at the heart of Nokia's issues? You are supposed to be the ones to keep them honest but I see very little of that from AAS. On a very serious note, does AAS receive some sort of compensation from Nokia for not writing critical articles?

Old 23-03-2010, 07:13 PM
Unregistered

n97 and shazam works!!

i use 21 version on my n97 and shazam works great!!!

Old 23-03-2010, 10:11 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Rafe,

The reason the App Store is successful is because it works. Ovi can not claim the same degree of reliability. Another reason is that developers have said for years that Symbian is very difficult to develop for. How about the 70% - 30% split that developers get with the App Store? Just all things Ovi are terrible at the moment. Go try and provision a phone to sync with it and report back how it goes. Nokia's assertion that it will become a services company is laughable. How can you offer services when people cannot even access them? The fact that you guys fail time and time again to really eats at your credibility. How about some really critical reporting that delves at the heart of Nokia's issues? You are supposed to be the ones to keep them honest but I see very little of that from AAS. On a very serious note, does AAS receive some sort of compensation from Nokia for not writing critical articles?
In reality the Ovi Store just works for most people. For the few that have trouble with it, you find them all together crying on internet message boards, and this gives a false impression. From day one Ovi store has worked perfectly for me and I can have no complaints. It's probably not cost effective for Nokia to try and make the Ovi store so simple that the few incompetent half withs that have trouble can be satisfied. The article points out that a Shazam have announced a million downloads through the Ovi Store. I would say that it quite an impressive figure for a service that "people cannot even access". People can access them, and they do.

Symbian is not difficult to develop for, good developers have no trouble with it and produce Quick Office, Maps, ProfiMail, Gracity etc without complaining. Crap developers struggle a bit and blame Symbian.

My Ovi Sync works.

There are plenty of examples of articles on AAS that are critical of Nokia.

There are also some AAS readers with selective vision, it would appear.

Old 23-03-2010, 11:19 PM
Unregistered

I have had no problems with the Ovi store. Shazam has worked excellent for me. I use the 5800xm. My only problem with the phone is I have run out of internal memory. Otherwise it's fantastic. My buddy has an e71 (non at&t) and he has had lackluster feelings. His Shazam doesn't recognize the music very often. He found it does work better without the case on though. His firmware update kinda is screwy too. The only thing is Nokia needs to get the Nokia Music Store up and running for the US. I hope there are plans to put it online soon otherwise I just sit and look at the phone wishing I had that awesome song. I hate iTunes and have really become an iHater! Just in the same vane iUsers hate Microsoft (What's the difference anymore I ask you? - this is a rhetorical question mind you!)

Old 23-03-2010, 11:39 PM

Hurlley is on a distinguished road
As much as I love to hate on Nokia, there are two things that are right Ovi Maps and Ovi Sync, credit where credit is due. These two things I am happy with.

Old 24-03-2010, 08:23 AM

neilhoskins is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
...few incompetent half withs that have trouble...
That's completely out of order and I think you know it, otherwise you wouldn't be bravely making such stupid statements anonymously. I'm not going to get into a debate with a cretin like you over my relative IQ levels and competence, so suffice it to say, go forth, multiply, FOAD.

Old 24-03-2010, 10:59 AM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
On Shazam payment - the reason behind the 'srange' web site to do payment is because it is a subscription service for a year. Subscriptions are not currently supported by the Ovi Store payment engine.

And yes I know there are other developers who are irritated that an exception has been made for Shazam.

Quote:
How about the 70% - 30% split that developers get with the App Store? Just all things Ovi are terrible at the moment. The fact that you guys fail time and time again to really eats at your credibility. How about some really critical reporting that delves at the heart of Nokia's issues? You are supposed to be the ones to keep them honest but I see very little of that from AAS. On a very serious note, does AAS receive some sort of compensation from Nokia for not writing critical articles?
Just to note Ovi Store in 70-30% too... and yes operator billing is different - it is 70-30 after the operator takes their split... not ideal obviously, but one of the things you have to live with if you to enables opeartor billing which is very important in some markets / consumer segments.

I suspect you're being deliberately obtuse / baiting and some other commenters have already replied to you on some of the points. But as for sake of clarity - no AAS does not 'receive some sort of compensation from Nokia for not writing critical articles'. We are completely editorially independet. BTW It's honestly difficult to take a comment credibly when you make it anonymously.

And as a general comment, please everyone, keep comments civil.

Old 24-03-2010, 01:20 PM

sapporobaby is on a distinguished road
While I am currently having a few problems with Ovi Sync (could be the phone), for the most part it has worked as advertised and I have word that it will be smoking right along soon. Nokia just needs to beef it up a bit and make it a bit more reliable but most of the time it works as advertised.

A million downloads is pretty good for one app.

I do disagree with the crappy scenario reference. Some developers have said that developing for Symbian is not a pleasurable experience. Just because some developers have created some nice apps, does not mean that it is easy. Sort of shortsighted and typical to view everything in either black or white. All OS's have their strengths and weaknesses and each appeals to different individuals based on needs. It's just that simple.
Ads

Old 24-03-2010, 01:21 PM

sapporobaby is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilhoskins View Post
That's completely out of order and I think you know it, otherwise you wouldn't be bravely making such stupid statements anonymously. I'm not going to get into a debate with a cretin like you over my relative IQ levels and competence, so suffice it to say, go forth, multiply, FOAD.
Best post ever. Nicely aimed. Could not have said it better myself.