Old 08-09-2010, 12:29 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoFlake View Post
So UK VAT is 17.5% and we're paying GBP429 or Euro518:-

France it's 19.6% but we're still paying GBP49 more

Germany it's 19% but we're paying GBP33 more

Italy it's 20% but we're paying GBP41 more

What happened to Euro370 before taxes ie Euro 434.75 with UK VAT or GBP361 odd?

Obviously all the Euro release prices are above this but we really are getting shafted.
t"
Wrong. I am not paying any of those prices or getting shafted because it is my choice to buy and I choose not to. If you think it is too expensive and still pay up then you have nobody else to blame.

When the price meets my expectations, then I may get one, but until then I am not stupid enough to be ripped off.

People must realise that these early prices are designed to test the market and encourage people into the networks preferred payment plans - contracts.

I can't understand why people are so quick to whinge, just play their game better. It's not hard.

Old 08-09-2010, 12:44 PM
Unregistered

430 euros in spanish shop

You can have it for 430 euros at http://www.maxmovil.com/tienda/index...md=0&codp=6303

And no, i don't work there

Old 08-09-2010, 01:04 PM

krisq is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I agree, apart from the camera I am preferring the E7. However, I am going to skip all ^3 devices in favour of ^4, as many non-Nokia handset makers are doing too.
I think no one has seen E7 yet. Pretty sure the leaked Qwerty S^3 device was not it.

Old 08-09-2010, 01:30 PM

gadget freak is on a distinguished road
Nokia said the N8 was the last n series device running symbian, the leaked device was running symbian so i suppose 2+2 =5 anyway whatever they call it it looks more intresting to me.
Ads

Old 08-09-2010, 02:15 PM
Unregistered

N series and Symbian

Nokia only stated that the N8 will be the only N-series device with Symbian^3. There could easily be a Symbian^4 N-series device according to Anssi Vanjoki himself.

As for the rest of their smartphone portfolio, there will be SEVERAL Symbian^3 phones - E7, C7, X7 etc.

Old 08-09-2010, 02:53 PM

Jimmy1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevmc View Post
I work for Nokia so cannot comment on future plans. However, I can say Nokia is committed to Symbian^3, and of course N8 is not the only product using Symbian^3.
Well, okay, thanks for the outreach, but the first two sentences right there sort of muddies the waters on their own.

It would help if the official line from the company is: buy the N8 and get a Symbian 4 upgrade in (6? 8? months).

Anyway, anyone on these boards that knows anything about Nokia knows that the device to really wait for is the N9/Meego phone. That one *will* be interesting, when it finally comes.

The N8 is to just keep the customers moving up from feature phones and considering iPhones or Android inside the Nokia circle. They likely know they're not going to get Android and iPhone owners to move to Symbian.

Last edited by Jimmy1; 08-09-2010 at 02:55 PM.

Old 08-09-2010, 05:16 PM
Unregistered

The reason for high UK prices are the change of exchange rates. With the rate 120 days a go the UK price in euros would be around 480 and I think the euro was even more expensive before that.

http://www.x-rates.com/d/GBP/EUR/graph120.html

Companies tend to make the adjustments rather slowly, especially if it favors them.

Old 08-09-2010, 05:24 PM

Dazzy is on a distinguished road
guys on the point of UK VAT dont forget it rises to 20% next year which will push the price up not down.

Old 08-09-2010, 05:50 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazzy View Post
guys on the point of UK VAT dont forget it rises to 20% next year which will push the price up not down.
The price will fall much more than that 2.5% difference. The price will go down.

Old 08-09-2010, 06:01 PM

Dazzy is on a distinguished road
You mightnt see much drop before the new year, with maximising profits for christmas and all, so anyone holding off to January could be disappointed.

Old 08-09-2010, 06:08 PM

snoFlake is on a distinguished road
Just seen curious and possibly optimistic Twitter rumour over at Mobile Review, obviously take it with a pinch of salt (speculative). Anyway a poster (chilko) is reporting a Twitter message saying that Nokia are going to announce S^3 devices will be upgradable to S^4. Tweet here

I do so hope so as it will address one of the thornier topics I'd been worried about and had heard no feedback about at all and an area that Nokia despite generally good support for long term device firmware fixes could be described as weak in with Android and iOS upgrade/support for devices going back some years.

Obviously early speculative days but this could be very encouraging news indeed. Certainly stock analysts seem to have been told some good news recently judging by upgrades and it could be more than just early operator orders for S^3 devices.

Fingers X'd would certainly make me look with much more interest at the forthcoming devices knowing they had an vibrant life beyond 6 months.

Old 08-09-2010, 06:20 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoFlake View Post

with Android and iOS upgrade/support for devices going back some years.

A witty joke you made there. I am impressed by your abilty with sarcasm.
#

Old 08-09-2010, 06:21 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazzy View Post
You mightnt see much drop before the new year, with maximising profits for christmas and all, so anyone holding off to January could be disappointed.
Read the thread, get a clue.

Old 08-09-2010, 07:43 PM

buster is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy1 View Post
Anyway, anyone on these boards that knows anything about Nokia knows that the device to really wait for is the N9/Meego phone. That one *will* be interesting, when it finally comes.

The N8 is to just keep the customers moving up from feature phones and considering iPhones or Android inside the Nokia circle. They likely know they're not going to get Android and iPhone owners to move to Symbian.
That's a sweeping generalisation if ever I heard one. I'm sure there are many visitors here who are far more interested in the N8 than the N9, for a variety of reasons: price, OS, size, weight, monobloc design etc. I agree that the N9 sounds like a very interesting device, but it definitely won't be everyone's idea of their ideal phone...

Old 08-09-2010, 09:58 PM

manual_ is on a distinguished road
This might be a generalisation but not as sweeping as you might think.
There are many people who "know Nokia" - I think specifically those dissappointed with the companys recent oferings - who will wait it out.
I sure belong to this bunch. I'm not he least excited about N8 after having experienced N97mini and services Nokia offers, seing N8 performance in videos etc. Of course there will be those who will find N8 interesting. But there is a lot of people who will take N8 under close scrutiny before they'll decide to fork out. And there are those who consider Nokia to lack vision and direction. They'll wait even more. Possibly for Meego, which brings a promise of a fresh start and will not be associated with Nokia/Symbian blunders of the past.