All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 19-11-2004, 03:50 AM

spudtheimpaler is on a distinguished road
Question Vibrate

Hi, I had the A920 before and thought it a great phone, but now i've upgraded to the A1000 and am not having to carry a seperate bag I'm in heaven.. gotta love this phone!

However...

Has anyone else felt that the vibrate function is... well naff. i cant feel it. at all, if its in my hands and i know its happening then fine but in my jean pocket i can never feel it... and the vibrate options (slow / fast) are exactly the same... Is this just mine, or everyones ?

If there is any way you know of altering the vibrate patterns (going into a certain file perhaps?) to make the vibrates last longer, or pulse rather than a one off, and if you do know how could you share this little gem?!

Also http://www.picstop.co.uk/transflash.htm is the cheapest if found transflash for as of yet, though i'm awaiting the 256 model. Anyone seen anywhere else for this cheap?

Cheers,
Mitch

Old 22-11-2004, 02:02 PM

Does no one agree with me?

Old 09-12-2004, 11:40 PM
Koniosis

I totally agree with u here! I used to have a Nokia, and it would vibrate to the ringtones, either whilst playing them aloud, or silently. The A1000 has a pathetic one buzzz from the vibe when you get a message, and it can't be customised (yet?). I hope someone somewhere has written some software to change this. Also you can't have a ringtone and vibrate at the same time :(

Old 13-12-2004, 07:09 PM

SAbz911 is on a distinguished road
Sorry if this issue has already been addressed and im wasted my time writing this out.

Ive been told by a friend in three that the a1000 hasnt got a vibrator inside the phone, it simply plays extremely high frequency sounds which make the handset shake. I think the frequency is 140hz (or whatever frequency is measured in). Ive edited a few tracks by incresing the frequency and it worked.

Hope this helps

SAbz

Old 13-12-2004, 11:40 PM

Haptics

I've searched the net a bit and can find a little info on the 'haptics', which is vibration based feedback synced to sounds made, but nowt on it not having a vibrator motor in the phone. If you have made a file though that works, i'd really like to have a look at it, as i dont have to abilities right now to knock up a 140Hz signal in a midi file.

Cheers
Mitch

Old 14-12-2004, 08:04 AM

Delta737 is on a distinguished road
Will this only work with an A1000? Otherwise, it could be a way to give the communicators vibra too!

Old 14-12-2004, 02:07 PM

TexMurphy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta737
Will this only work with an A1000? Otherwise, it could be a way to give the communicators vibra too!
I think he is right. I had a closer look at it and used a mp3-song with much base - the result was a heavy vibration.
The A1000 is one of the first phones with this new 3D-speaker-system and Motorola seems to use a base speaker as well - for both the vibration and the base sound. By the way, that is the reason why you can choose between two different types of vibration, these are two audio-files (which you can edit). I found them on the phone...(and you could add another vibration sound as well, e.g. a long steady vibration or a mix between a vibration and a song).

Alex

Old 14-12-2004, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexMurphy
I think he is right. I had a closer look at it and used a mp3-song with much base - the result was a heavy vibration.
The A1000 is one of the first phones with this new 3D-speaker-system and Motorola seems to use a base speaker as well - for both the vibration and the base sound. By the way, that is the reason why you can choose between two different types of vibration, these are two audio-files (which you can edit). I found them on the phone...(and you could add another vibration sound as well, e.g. a long steady vibration or a mix between a vibration and a song).

Alex
But that was one o my original complaints, the two vibrate options you get as far as i can tell are exactly the same, there is no difference in speed / pitch / feeling anything. i will however be looking for the files and i'll have a go at editing them

Cheers gents

Mitch

Old 14-12-2004, 09:40 PM

TexMurphy is on a distinguished road
By the way, both audio files are located at a:/documents/ringtone/vib.

And another thing. Try both out by selecting one at a time as your vibration tone and then call your mobile phone, you will notice a difference! The preview of both vibrate files is exactly the same, but the gaps between the vibrations are smaller and the vibrations are shorter when you choose the faster one...(but you can't notice is when you preview them...)

Bye,

Alex

Last edited by TexMurphy; 14-12-2004 at 09:45 PM.

Old 15-12-2004, 03:11 AM

Right. I have me a program (SFS) to make me some sinewave signals. i can change them into mp3's using sound recorder, all i need to do now is get them onto the A: drive. Any clues? (I'm thinking you cant. I know file manager from smas wont let me.)

You can install it as a ringtune but then its not as easy as chaging it to vibrate mode, more changing the ringtune everytime you want it on vibrate.

Old 15-12-2004, 06:16 PM

Ive attached a tone me mate made. I think its the right one, he just upped the frequency on it and added a tune over the top. Ive renamed the file type so as to attach it, just change it back to .mp3 before putting it on your phone.

Hope this helps!

SAbz
Attached Files
File Type: zip high frequency tone.zip (178.0 KB, 298 views)

Old 15-12-2004, 06:18 PM

Im almost certain you cant add to the A: drive because its write protected, ya best bet is to add it as a ringtone.

SAbz

Old 16-12-2004, 03:00 AM

I dont think you can add it to your a drive either, which is what i was after, i wanted my own vibrate settings for the vibrate only profile, rather than having to go into the ringtune settings each time i wanted to set it to vibrate only mode. Still this will definately do as a part time answer and thanks for all your input

Merry Xmas!

Mitch
Ads

Old 18-12-2004, 03:37 PM
Stripeyjoe

Just an idea...

Could't you mix the 'vibrate' tune with whatever you would like as a ringtone, make an mp3 of the result and use that as your ring tone? instant tune & vibrate...

Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudtheimpaler
I dont think you can add it to your a drive either, which is what i was after, i wanted my own vibrate settings for the vibrate only profile, rather than having to go into the ringtune settings each time i wanted to set it to vibrate only mode. Still this will definately do as a part time answer and thanks for all your input

Merry Xmas!

Mitch

Old 05-01-2005, 06:57 AM

qwb4 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAbz911
Ive attached a tone me mate made. I think its the right one, he just upped the frequency on it and added a tune over the top. Ive renamed the file type so as to attach it, just change it back to .mp3 before putting it on your phone.

Hope this helps!

SAbz
Sorry that I've tried to download your file but it only reads 177KB and could not be expanded.