All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 10-05-2005, 03:06 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Skype PTT client for Series 60 2.0+

Skype PTT from Usefulapps is a push to talk client for Skype to be used in conjunction with a Bluetooth enabled PC (the PC links to Skype, the phone is effectively used as a PTT headset). The obvious limitation is that you need to remain within Bluetooth distance of your PC. Skype have said they are working on a Symbian version of their client (though it is likely to be for Wifi or possibly 3G handsets only).

Author Notes: Useful client allows you to use Skype on your phone connected over Bluetooth to PC with Skype client. Useful client performs calls through your PC over Bluetooth link. Your calls are free, but you need to be in the Bluetooth coverage of your PC. Useful client shows your Skype contacts on the phone and allows you to call and talk to them from the phone. Useful client works in Push To Talk (PTT) mode, meaning you need to press Talk button to talk. While it is not pressed the client is in Hear mode allowing you to hear the other side of the call. This product consist of two parts: the client running on your phone and the server running on your PC. The product setup runs on your PC and instructs you to download the client to the phone at some point.

Old 11-05-2005, 11:23 PM
lukebarkerluke

I got this installed correctly, but I am thinking I will need PTT on my Nokia 6600, which in the UK at time of release did not come with it. I recall a press release from Nokia mentioning a PoC push to talk client, being made for this phone and 7610 et al, but I cannot find it on the web - can anyone tell me if I do need this, or where to find it? The app looks good!

Luke

lukebarker@gmail.com

Old 12-05-2005, 11:02 AM

N/A is on a distinguished road
This has nothing to do and no dependencies on Nokia's Push to talk over Cellular (PoC/PTT) software.
Ads

Old 12-05-2005, 07:45 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Indeed PTT is a bit misleading in some ways. Its really just saying that you can not both talk and recieve at the same time (like you would say on a phone), but this is a limitation of the program (I suspect) and not Skype.

The Nokia push to talk stuff is network based (i.e. the push goes over the network). As I understand it is mainly software rather than anything hardware.

Old 12-05-2005, 08:02 PM

zainman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe
Indeed PTT is a bit misleading in some ways. Its really just saying that you can not both talk and recieve at the same time (like you would say on a phone), but this is a limitation of the program (I suspect) and not Skype.

The Nokia push to talk stuff is network based (i.e. the push goes over the network). As I understand it is mainly software rather than anything hardware.

Bluetooth Limits Data speeds thus restricting the publisher of the software to fully utilize Skypes potential, as a result we can only do one thing at a time.. sad.. lets hope the N-Series when its out with Wi-Fi will bring with it the Series 60 version of Skype..

Believe the Hype! Techpakistan

Old 16-05-2005, 12:50 PM
lukeb

works well

I have got this working on my 6600 - very nice and useful little app - the mic quality of the phone much outstrips that of the bluetooth headsets i have tried and the push to talk is not so bad. The email communication with the makers seemed fine too.

Old 05-01-2006, 10:05 AM
spartansea

a Question..
you can use Skype PTT only by internet connection ADSL?I installed the software on my 7610, but i cant'see any contacts.
I use a internet connection 56K.
Thanks