All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 11-10-2009, 06:16 PM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
The Top 5 Phones that aren't actually IN the Top 5

Regular viewers of The Phones Show will know that I periodically run down my 'Top 5' phones in the world. Astute viewers will also have spotted that I haven't done one for a while. The problem is, as indicated by the headline above, that I'm having problems recommending a single phone or smartphone, let alone five of them. Things were simpler a year or so ago, I'd simply pick the Nokia N95 (or one of its cousins, the N95 8GB or N82) and that'd be the number 1 spot sorted. The phone world has moved on though, with greater variety, greater complexity and, yes, greater disappointments. Read on...

Read on in the full article.

Old 11-10-2009, 06:54 PM

mikejaydavies is on a distinguished road
Any news on when the E72 will be available? If I decided to go with that phone I'd probably have to get it on a contract - it'll be way too expensive when it launches!

Old 11-10-2009, 06:54 PM
Super Moderator

timsalmon is on a distinguished road
I think that's what we've been trying to say for some weeks now , so well appraised! I still think it's hard to see past Android just now - when I pick up a Nokia now it seems kinda 'old fashioned' in many ways. Don't get me wrong - the OS has it's *much* more advanced aspects over 'the others' - take mature file management, media handling/delivery and camera goodness just for three - but it *so* lags behind 'the others' in the new 'connected' world we're now living in. From your list, my money's (maybe literally) on the Motorola DEXT/CLIQ as soon as poss. Love the keyboard. But no 'outside' (hardware) keypad (like 5730 et al) - yes I still do want everything. With cherries on. Bring on the Salmon SX1.

Old 11-10-2009, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timsalmon View Post
I still think it's hard to see past Android just now - when I pick up a Nokia now it seems kinda 'old fashioned' in many ways.
So, at the moment what would you say your favourite Android device is? I like the look of the DEXT, but I'd rather see a more refined design - it looks unecessarily bulky.

How does the Samsung Galaxy shape up to the HTC Hero?

Old 11-10-2009, 07:00 PM

sapporobaby is on a distinguished road
Steve,

Next time you make a claim about the iPhone, at least bother to do REAL research. You can multi-task with native apps, meaning the app stays open in the background so that it does not have to share the desktop. Second, the iPod app run in the background all the time. These two things are very easy to prove if you didn't trip over your "perceived" iPhone bias and Nokia love. Come on man, this is too easy for anyone to prove.

P.S. I am a Nokia man through and through but not to the point of apologizing for them when they are wrong. The N900 is on my list especially after playing with one.

Last edited by sapporobaby; 11-10-2009 at 07:06 PM.

Old 11-10-2009, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapporobaby View Post
Steve,

Next time you make a claim about the iPhone, at least bother to do REAL research. You can multi-task with native apps, meaning the app stays open in the background so that it does not have to share the desktop.
It's only the iPod app that does this as far as I can tell.

Does Safari run in the background? Nope.
What about Maps? Nope.
Can you multi-task while you're on the phone to somebody?
Granted, the countdown timer in Clock does, but I think you're confusing push mail with mail running in the background.

Old 11-10-2009, 07:10 PM
Unregistered

Thumbs down

Wot, no Blackberry Bold??

Best screen and keyboard on the market. Steve's anti-RIM bias is even more obvious than his anti iPhone bias.

The iPhone's iPod app multitasks, more misinformation here.

Old 11-10-2009, 07:15 PM

JohnnyN is on a distinguished road
Everyone knows the iphone cannot do REAL multitasking. I think that's what he was getting at.

Old 11-10-2009, 07:47 PM
Darep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejaydavies View Post
It's only the iPod app that does this as far as I can tell.

Does Safari run in the background? Nope.
What about Maps? Nope.
Can you multi-task while you're on the phone to somebody?
Granted, the countdown timer in Clock does, but I think you're confusing push mail with mail running in the background.
Just correcting the little bits of misinformation floating around...

Actually, iPhone runs Safari, Mail and at least Phone in the background most of the time. For example, if the Phone app is not open, you won't be able to receive phone calls or crash the phone

You can see this happen when you jailbreak the iPhone and install Backgrounder, it will display a badge on top of the app icon, if it's running in the background and Apple's apps have the badge on them most of the time.

Old 11-10-2009, 07:55 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejaydavies View Post
So, at the moment what would you say your favourite Android device is? I like the look of the DEXT, but I'd rather see a more refined design - it looks unecessarily bulky.
How does the Samsung Galaxy shape up to the HTC Hero?
Favourite Android device has to be the Hero but if the G1 had a better battery, I reckon it would win. And a headphone socket ;-) As Steve said, the 'vanilla' Android devices are going to have a certain advantage I think. It wasn't deal-breaking to have to upgrade using a computer, but we've certainly now been so spoiled that we expect more. DEXT? Well I'll have to see it but I'd trade bulk for the perfect device anyday! Love the look of the keyboard - it looks almost Psion'ish (particularly the bottom row). Mmmm.
The Galaxy has too many questions around it's performance - battery life and camera it seems leading the list - to be taken seriously just now.
In actual fact, I've been amazed by the battery life on the Hero. Really quite stunning.

Old 11-10-2009, 07:58 PM
Unregistered

No software upgrades = no Nokia for me

With Android or iPhone, every few months you get an upgrade to the newest and greatest version of the OS. With Nokia, you get built-in obsolescence. You see how only the biggest bugs are squashed on your phone, while model after model appear with all sorts of small, medium or large improvements. Cheaper phones with similar hardware as yours appear with improved diallers, web widgets, better media players, later versions of Java... Feature packs will be published, but you won't get them unless you throw your phone away.

I did like the 5800XM, but I got an HTC Magic and I am overwhelmed by its goodness. And this month it will get better, while the Nokia will always have something that is very close to the first-day version of S60 5.0.

Old 11-10-2009, 08:16 PM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
@sapporobaby: I was talking about non-core-Apple apps. Yes, of course, the iPod app runs in the background, but anything third party that deals with audio, for example, gets killed stone dead the moment you do anything else.

@unreg-blinking-istered: no RIM-bias, per se. I just never see Blackberrys. And RIM's PR are useless. And the couple of times that I've played with a Blackberry properly, I was very underwhelmed by the circa-2000 OS. and interface. And most BB owners inherit their phone from their company, at least in the UK, it's not as if BB is a common choice for the High Street buyer.

For those that love BB though, I'm sure the Bold is a great choice, in terms of specs. It's just not for me. Sorry.

Old 11-10-2009, 08:28 PM

DriftNismo is on a distinguished road
Just to clear up the iPod/iPhone thing; if you have it jailbroken and have BossPrefs installed, it's a basic task manager, and yes, Safari stays open in the background, as does Mail, iPod, Maps, Clock, and I believe Messaging on the iPhone, as well as a lot of third party apps, including some games, which is why they need resetting so often.

After selling my 5800XM for a variety of reasons, I got the T-Mobile G2 Touch (HTC Hero), and the battery life is fantastic, especially since so many applications stay open in the background, and it seems to get proper push e-mail and push calendar (as opposed to e-mails and appointments getting pushed every 15 minutes), and even now there's a nice variety of apps, and with the great line-up of Android devices coming up in the near future, I have a feeling Android Market is going to take off on a large scale (similar to how App Store did when the iPhone was portrayed as "revolutionary"). And I love the Hero, but the Motorola Cliq looks like the nicest Android phone coming up, and if I knew the T-Mobile Pulse was coming so soon I would definitely have gotten that instead...

Old 11-10-2009, 08:38 PM

sapporobaby is on a distinguished road
@Steve,

Gotcha, but ALL Apple apps multitask. The thing is, they do not all share the desktop. You can go from Cal, to Mail, to Safari, etc... and they will pick up right at the keystroke. 3rd party apps are not allowed to do this because, yes, they can make things very un-pretty and crash the phone. I think as more and more developers create apps that adhere more to the framework of native iPhone apps, you will see a desktop sharing. Actually it is slated in iPhone 4.x so we will see what shakes loose.

I was running Fring, a third party app while I was playing the iPod section and it worked like a charm. When I tried to make a call, the iPod was muted, Fring called and the phone ran as normal. I really think you are a bit unaware of your facts. I mean this in all seriousness, if you want me to run some test for you let me know but to date much of what you have stated is simply wrong.

Old 11-10-2009, 08:41 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
With Android or iPhone, every few months you get an upgrade to the newest and greatest version of the OS. With Nokia, you get built-in obsolescence. You see how only the biggest bugs are squashed on your phone, while model after model appear with all sorts of small, medium or large improvements. Cheaper phones with similar hardware as yours appear with improved diallers, web widgets, better media players, later versions of Java... Feature packs will be published, but you won't get them unless you throw your phone away.
I did like the 5800XM, but I got an HTC Magic and I am overwhelmed by its goodness. And this month it will get better, while the Nokia will always have something that is very close to the first-day version of S60 5.0.
Well, let's be fair - the G1, it's said, will indeed get Donut, but that's it's lot - and word is that it'll struggle to keep up with it's diminshed RAM and other low spec. There are many G1 users out there who feel that *they* were used as a test-bed for Android (so it's not all just Nokia adopting that strategy and cashing in on the experience of early adopters).

Nokia has a clearly defined 'line' of 'upgrade' for *most* models and they seem to be Release/+1(+1.1)/+2(+2.1)/+3(+3.1) before they stop supporting them and move on in around a 2yr cycle or so. You could argue that development of features is *so* significant that they just *have* to move on because the hardware of 2yrs ago can't keep up. Isn't this also true of Apple? 3G iPhone users can't get hold of the goodness in the 3GS - so Apple expect people to buy the next model - *and* into the mix, O2 in the UK won't let loyal customers 'upgrade' to the 3GS unless they're within **one month** of the end of their contract (unless they pay their contract up in full) *and* then expect customers to sign up for another c.900 deal!

As I've said, I'm becoming much less of a Nokia fan these days, but let's be fair. All these manufacturers are as bad as each other with top-end devices. I remember being very frustrated that Nokia wouldn't develop the E90 further - it still sticks in my throat when I consider I paid 560 for my first E90 - but you get over it and move on, buying into capitalism - or don't and buy yourself an Archos 5 and Nokia 2610 ;-)

I, too am overwhelmed by Android just now and was very tempted to get a Magic - just because it was Vanilla flavoured and not 'Hot Treacle Crumble' flavoured ;-) But didn't, because there's *so* much stuff round the corner that something else will appeal more soon. Incidentally, for anyone wishing to 'use' their Hero in Vanilla mode, you can - by downloading the free 'Home Switcher' in Android's Market.