All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 09-03-2010, 09:05 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Ovi Maps now down to 'admin charges' levels for older phones

As noted in Rafe's Maps interview thread, Nokia isn't keen to put resources behind creating a version of Ovi Maps 3.3 with free voice navigation for older S60 3rd Edition FP2 and FP1 (and vanilla 3rd Edition) phones. A good question is why Nokia doesn't then just make existing navigation licenses free, thus having much the same effect. It seems that they've gone much of the way to 'free' for older devices, with even a full 'Drive Europe' license now only costing 10 Euros for a year - this presumably to help cover admin and server costs. Photo proof and more below.

Read on in the full article.

Old 09-03-2010, 09:34 AM

Insane Reindeer is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Now this is fantastic news! Yes, it is not free, but given that my free year only run out two weeks ago, I will, in effect, being paying 9.99 for two years! I had been waiting to see if the older models would benefit from any sort of free license/maps sort of thing, but having read this I am now more than happy to pay for the full year. Oh and on my phone the "traffic and safety" option is 4.99 as well.

When this runs out a year from now I will be ready to upgrade anyway. Nokia, some sort of big style press release would be nice please!
Ads

Old 09-03-2010, 09:56 AM

megapack162 is on a distinguished road
My question is "just what exactly is an older S60 FP2 handset?"

I bought an N86 in July, I could have just as easily have bought an N97 as it was released on the same day (but wasn't happy with all of the negative experiences that people were reporting) and it's still not supported even though the N97 is.

I have roughly 6 months remaining on my 3.0.1 Drive Europe licence and 3 months Traffic left, why should I have to purchase another year's coverage until my network contract comes up for renewal when other similar phones such as the 6710 Navigator and 6730 Classic get the free version.

Old 09-03-2010, 10:07 AM
fakefur

@megapack... i'm beginning to feel we N86 owners bought a lemon that is being left out in the cold by everyone

Old 09-03-2010, 10:12 AM

Hurlley is on a distinguished road
megapack the n86 is supported just select some other phone as your phone and get the sisx file it works! I think making navigation free was a good but pointless move. nokia should be pouring money into marketing, they will have to take a bigger hit if they want to make a difference. All nokia users i know say "what its free?"

Last edited by Hurlley; 09-03-2010 at 10:14 AM.

Old 09-03-2010, 10:12 AM
Unregistered

Thumbs down daylight robbery

c'mon i bought the fabled nokia n85!!!!
gaming.... ngage is dead
music..... doesnt sound any better than my sony 850i which i bought in 2006
navigation.... not allowed for free.... need to pay money....

why doesnt nokia take a leaf out of the book of the automobile cos and recall phones which it can not even support for 3 years after the last sale.....

then again you people are hell bent in calling apple the devil while at least they are able to provide equal service to all the handset owners....

c'mon guys, i am in india spent 23k(rupees) on n85 in april... my warranty is not even over yet..... but my phone has no more support!!!!! thats an ugly truth..... no more nokia for me anymore......

no more nokia....... bad bad bad experience.......

and guess what nokia becomes a non recommendation product for me from now on......

Rohit K
India

Old 09-03-2010, 10:13 AM
Administrator

The N86 is somewhat out on a limb, technically, I get the feeling it would have fitted OS-wise into a Nokia game plan from 6 months earlier than its eventual release. And, yes, its firmware has a few oddities that we're still hoping Nokia can find resources to fix up. Having said that, people bought the N86 because of its camera functions - which continue to work very well. It's hardly a 'lemon' 8-)

Last edited by slitchfield; 09-03-2010 at 10:22 AM.

Old 09-03-2010, 10:14 AM
ansgp

Unhappy

^ same feeling comes here, when i see 5800 and nokia's future plans.

Old 09-03-2010, 10:28 AM
Unregistered

Nokia haven't actually come out and said the N86 isn't going to ever be supported, it could simply be a timing issue.

Old 09-03-2010, 10:29 AM

maartenmk is on a distinguished road
That really is a good price, almost worth buying just to show support for the initiative.
But without a Nokia statement about it I will wait a bit more anyhow. What if the free version does come along for FP1 in a month's time?
Well maybe I will go for the 1 month option...

Old 09-03-2010, 10:47 AM
Unregistered

Wink Yes, we knew it.

I am from India and observed this price drop ever since Nokia announced Ovi Maps going free. I use a Nokia 5320 XpressMusic phone (S60 3rd FP2), which has Nokia Maps app along with an external bluetooth GPS module.
Prices for pan-India drive license: Rs. 260 for 1 month license and Rs. 670 for 1 year license. Infact, I thought they should be free and that it was being shown in error, but not to be!
But anyways, its still soooooooo cheap!
Will this also apply to Nokia C5 phone?

Old 09-03-2010, 10:53 AM

Hardeep1singh is on a distinguished road
Never thought I'd say this but Nokia is turning into a bigger devil than.... Apple.

People who bought their iphones before I bought my Nokia are still getting support and my N82 is prehistoric and unsupported in Nokia's eyes.

Old 09-03-2010, 11:03 AM

malerocks is on a distinguished road
All the people here who are comparing product support of Nokia to Apple are forgetting the fact that Apple has just 1 phone since launch - the iphone. Subsequent releases (3G, 3GS) have just had minor hardware & software updates, but basics of the phone model is the same. They dont need any special effort to support those models.

Last edited by malerocks; 09-03-2010 at 11:08 AM.

Old 09-03-2010, 11:09 AM
Administrator

"N82 is prehistoric and unsupported in Nokia's eyes"

How exactly? At these prices, navigation is very nearly free and you get Ovi Maps 3.1, which is pretty near the Maps cutting edge.... All for a phone on which Nokia made a few tens of pounds profit from you two or more years ago. And presumably the phone is still otherwise working as advertised, with great photos etc.

Methinks people complain too much sometimes.....

Old 09-03-2010, 11:19 AM
Unregistered

Well the price drop only happened in the last week! I had to buy a 1.50 day license on my N95 8GB last Tuesday...