All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 31-03-2010, 06:37 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Pimping the Nokia E90 and replacing the N97?

You'll have seen my previous 'retro' article, looking at pimping the Nokia E61i, an early 2007 device that can now be picked up for pocket money but which still has a unique form factor. The same applies, but 'in spades', to the Nokia E90, released only a few months after the E61i but sporting the full Communicator form and also S60 3rd Edition Feature Pack 1, plus SDHC support. Like the E61i, it too had a few performance bottlenecks, so how did I get on pimping the Nokia E90 to 2010 standards and might it possibly challenge the mighty (ahem) N97?

Read on in the full article.

Old 31-03-2010, 08:09 AM

ratza is on a distinguished road
I would say that N97 wins at alarm clock, which must wake you up, not to ease snoozing. I have a 5800 and I put it on a table just to make me get up from bed to stop it.

Old 31-03-2010, 09:04 AM
WPxDominion

Alarm clock

Hey Steve,

Why don't you just flip the N97 to snooze? No need to push any button or to stab a touchscreen.

You have to activate the sensors in the phone settings for that, but I'm certainyou did that already anyways.

Ciao

Old 31-03-2010, 09:15 AM
Brendan Donegan

The 5th edition alarm is a beautiful thing - I can leave my 5800 in the kitchen and it will still wake my up. I also love how it isn't harsh, but rather gently wakes you up The alarm on the Motorola Droid on the other hand was hard to tolerate - suffice it to say I stuck to the 5800.

Old 31-03-2010, 09:23 AM
Administrator

@Wpx: and what happens on the second snooze? And third? Do you have to flip it through a full 360 degrees? Must admit I haven't experimented with this much - I tended to just stab the screen, as mentioned in the text.... [blush]

Old 31-03-2010, 10:04 AM
WPxDominion

@Steve

You just have to flip it upside down and vice versa, so 180 degree for each snooze.
Much better than searching for the right spot on the touchscreen...

Old 31-03-2010, 10:09 AM

ratza is on a distinguished road
I just remembered the alarm on an old Motorola I had in the past: T190. That phone rang so loud that it woke up the dead people. Even worse, the sound was loud from start.

Old 31-03-2010, 01:39 PM
bassgroove

Music Playback on E90

I agree that the absence of a 3.5mm jack or dedicated controls are a downfall but I have been using the e90 for a while and found that a bluetooth headset works awesome with the e90. The headset has dedicated play pause fwd back and a volume rocker and answer call key which doubles as voice command key. Syncs perfect and the controls respond great. I would have picked the e90 as the winner for that category.

Old 31-03-2010, 01:49 PM

Liquid_Li0n is on a distinguished road
I use Skype on the E90, that works great aswell

About movies, I encode them on the resolution of the inside screen so they fit perfectly on the screensize and are very sharp of resolution.

I even think with a good look around and testing of some 3rd party apps the E90 can win in a lot more cases than the N97.

@bassgroove: is correct indeed, a bluetooth headset is working great with the E90, such a headset combined with the large internal screen and encoded movies (with subs) is just like a private cinema!

About Snaptu: I tried it on my E90 just now, good app.

My Nokia Phone history--> 6150 | 3210 | 6210 | 6600 & N-Gage | N70 & 9500 | E61 & N73 ME | E90 & E50 | N900

Last edited by Liquid_Li0n; 31-03-2010 at 02:06 PM.

Old 31-03-2010, 02:27 PM

jApi NL is on a distinguished road
Smile Torch + Mediaplayer for E90

When you don't dislike a red (oh , dangerous!) torch in the night , just install S60 SpotOn . It also can keep the displaylight on :
http://www.outbank.de/en/download/s60spoton.html
The best mediaplayer , for slidehows queued-up video's and music is CorePlayer . It plays your complete collection shuffled or in a row , or just selected items . Also preselected zoom settings included . Plays practically all codecs . Only $30 .
For viewing pictures I use also X-Plore . Manually to use viewer like Gallery is inside , but right away playing and handy shortcut-keys like : N = next and P = previous . + Zooming shortcuts , going to next picture without to have zooming-out before next picture can be viewed , like in Gallery .

Regards jApi NL

Old 31-03-2010, 03:36 PM
Ayush3090

There IS a 2.5 mm multimedia headset - AD-44

Quote:
plus (to my knowledge) there's no multimedia headset compatible with its (4 pole) 2.5mm jack - by the time you've used a 2.5mm to 3.5mm adapter, you've lost the extra pole and any extra control. You do get d-pad control when Music player is in the foreground, but it's not the same somehow.
this multimedia headset came with nokia 5700.......and its 2.5mm jack n can be used with the e90 :-D

Old 31-03-2010, 05:19 PM
Administrator

Ooh, thanks, I'll have to look one of those out on eBay!

[later] Purchased. 6.61 inc postage 8-) My E90 won't look back!

Steve

Last edited by slitchfield; 31-03-2010 at 05:32 PM.

Old 31-03-2010, 05:43 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jApi NL View Post
The best mediaplayer , for slidehows queued-up video's and music is CorePlayer . It plays your complete collection shuffled or in a row , or just selected items . Also preselected zoom settings included . Plays practically all codecs . Only US 30 .
The trouble is that CorePlayer's customer support is non-existent. I've emailed/formed them numerous times and not ONCE had a reply. 8-( AAS bought on license for their player, for testing, but I'm blowed if I'm going to recommend them to another soul until they get their act together....

Old 31-03-2010, 06:18 PM

Tenkom is on a distinguished road
Why haven't you mentioned opera mobile 10? Surely it should be part of any pimped up symbian phone.

And I agree with you on coreplayer customer support. They need to get much better.

Old 31-03-2010, 06:22 PM

Cuberob is on a distinguished road
my mom (yes my mom) is still very happily using the e90. I recommended it to her about 2 years ago and even though the battery lid is loose (needs replacement) and there are some scratches on the device it is still working like a charm.
She uses it for email, scheduling, texting and even browsing and is just in love with the inner high resolution screen. it is capable of showing all the information at once which makes the device so much more usable to her. (to be honest she sometime has trouble using the outter screen because she cant find certain options in that layout. also she's constantly using the camera, pictures are decent and the video is more than fine!
all in all a great device

(i own a n97 also happy but the ram is (even with latest fw) just killing me sometimes, also NO INTERNET RADIO! STILL!)