All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 23-06-2010, 01:23 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Nokia fights back with new developer offerings

Nokia have made a number of developer announcements today, which significantly strengthen their developer services and offerings. Perhaps most interesting is news of a public beta service that allows developers to get their content Symbian Signed at no cost (compared to a first time signing cost of up to $215). Also important is the news that individuals can now register as Ovi Publishers (previously restricted to companies) and the Ovi Store is now accepting Qt based applications. Finally, and the most significant in the long term, is the first full release of the Nokia Qt SDK 1.0 and the accompanying Nokia Smart Installer (previously in beta). Read on for additional details.

Read on in the full article.

Old 23-06-2010, 01:37 PM
Unregistered

Again the Flagship N97 is left out of the supported list

Old 23-06-2010, 01:42 PM
Unregistered

WRT on MeeGo?

Will WRT-Stuff work on MeeGo?
Ads

Old 23-06-2010, 02:34 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Yes WRT will be available in MeeGo - Meego 1.1 I think it is (check the roadmap). There are some changes in packaging compared to current WRT - moving towards the W2C standard I believe - that applies to Symbian^4 as well.

Maemo (i.e. N900) does not support WRT.

Old 23-06-2010, 02:37 PM
cip

WRT on MeeGo

No WRT, doesn't work on MeeGo. At least not by default. You could still wrap your WRT app in some Qt application using QtWebKit.

Old 23-06-2010, 03:27 PM
Peter Sulzer

Arrggghhhh! Still not possible to upload Python programs :-| Python for S60 is the master piece of Nokia. (At least) The Runtime should be included in any new S60-Phone. Python enables most people who have programming experience in any language (BASIC, OPL, C, C++) to write excellent programs for S60. Please note: Even if you can program in C++ (like me), that doesn't mean that you can program for Symbian. It's a steep learning curve and installing the SDK is a nightmare (you need a special Active State PERL version, which is no more available, need the GNU-Development chain, ...).

With Python you install Python 1.4.5 (because of PED) and Python 2.0 on your phone (2.0 also on your PC), install the Python IDE PED (on your phone!). Then you write your scripts on the phone, start and test it directly from within PED. When ready, you test it with 2.0, send it to your PC, where you have installed the Python-Kit from Nokia, start the PyS60 Application Packager (GUI-Program) and create a ".sis".

For the first time you distribute your programs, currently (at least for S60 3rd FP1) it's necessary to deliver the Python Runtime and pips.sis (included in the PC installation), which any user must install, before he can install Python scripts (afaik for 3rd ED FP2 onwards it's possible to include runtime and pips in the sis). It's really that simple. You can find some examples from me on http://www.aikon.ch in the "Programmierer Forum". The runtime is in Calcapp.sis, the other program is a interface to the Symbian inbuild SQL database. I have both tested on Nokias RDA on N97 (S60 5th), they worked - I am using an E90 communicator.

Last but nut least: Python programs using appuifw (you can also write command line programs) look like native S60 Applications and start much faster than Java-Midlets.

Peter

Old 23-06-2010, 03:57 PM
Unregistered

Fights back against whom? Do you mean Apple or Android? I would say the battle is pretty much lost.

Old 23-06-2010, 04:16 PM

viipottaja is on a distinguished road
The battle perhaps, but the war not. Symbian has 100+ million new troops (i.e. phones/devices) entering the battle field every year, on top of the 200+ million (probably more) troops they already have there. Any supplier of ammunition would be stupid to completely overlook that kind of potential.

Old 23-06-2010, 05:31 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Fights back against whom? Do you mean Apple or Android? I would say the battle is pretty much lost.
Then you have a very negative attitude and I wouldn't have someone like you on my team.

Interesting definition of 'lost' when Symbian is still market leader.

Old 23-06-2010, 06:03 PM
Unregistered

Lost? No! Untap? Yes

Instead of saying symbian has lost, I think symbian is an untap market.

With an estimate of 500 million symbian phone on at the same time (based on IMEI), I think symbian is a great untap market, since ovi store just born.

A smart developer will try to cash in this untap market as soon as possible.

well,
I need to stop writing here and start coding

Old 23-06-2010, 06:07 PM
Unregistered

As a developer I don't like the introduction of free symbian signing, without the need for a publisher ID. This will mean that in short time the OVI Store will be filled with thusands of crappy content, made by non-professional developers. 215$ to start a business is still a very low fee, and was effective to keep out kids and non-serious developers (most of them chinese) from filling the market with crap or low quality clone applications. Not a good move in my opinion.

Old 23-06-2010, 06:11 PM
Unregistered

Qt vs. Python vs. the "old" Symbian C++ SDK

@Peter Sulzer:

The whole idea with the new Qt SDK is to get rid of the old Symbian API and Symbian C++.

Qt is based on Open C/C++ and the IDE and SDK is really easy to install and use, it only took me 10 minutes to get everything up and running, including on-device debugging and everything. It is really great.
Application speed of Qt programs is native.

Python's interpreted approach is slow.

/Henrik...

Old 23-06-2010, 07:38 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
@Peter Sulzer:

The whole idea with the new Qt SDK is to get rid of the old Symbian API and Symbian C++.
To get rid of S60 and the old Avkon library.

Old 23-06-2010, 08:27 PM
Unregistered

A big background on Murtazin Symbian^3 review, and why he does that to Nokia http://tinyurl.com/38he2dr

Also read:
Some truth about Eldar Murtzin review of Symbian^3 http://tinyurl.com/35wd7ow

Old 23-06-2010, 09:04 PM

viipottaja is on a distinguished road
@ the Unregistered developer,

well, there is still at least this to keep the most ameteurish developers out, no?

"the only up-front cost for developers distributing via the Ovi Store is a one off 50 fee to register as an Ovi Publisher."