All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 02-03-2010, 02:44 PM

buster is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fakefur View Post
@limestone ... don't waste your breath on reasoned arguments or comments ... here be nokia fanboys and apologists who can see nothing wrong with anything nokia do no matter how egregious

just pack up and move on to a high-end platform that has the support of a major *software* company behind it and don't look back ... you won't be alone
Judging by the sales of both Android and the iPhone (ie. low in the case of Android and flat in the case of iPhone), you possibly will be alone.

There is plenty wrong with what Nokia do, as many who post here will confirm. However, just because others don't agree with you does not make them wrong or make them necessarily a fanboy...

Old 02-03-2010, 02:45 PM

Ammar_Dento is on a distinguished road
And how can i see the Facebook status update? What detail i need to add to the Contacts to see its update? And where will i read it? In the Contacts list or in the Homescreen?

By the way...Stop being so Apple-ish, Nokia dont make +800$ devices only because it dont sell it phones in US only. Did you forget the N9x,N8x,N7x? its the same thing. Now instead of N7x we have Cx.

Old 02-03-2010, 03:07 PM
fakefur

@buster ... really? android and apple are flat? implying they are peaking or what? what is it you are trying to say with that comment?

and my comment was more aimed towards the blatantly obnoxious fanboy (sorry developer) who lambasted limestone for even implying the obvious truth about nokia high end devices ... that is the sort of fanboyism that makes it pointless to share reasoned arguments

Old 02-03-2010, 03:25 PM
Unregistered

@rafe
"However there's defintely some high end stuff on the way."

when do you think this will come? i'm holding out for high cameraphone stuff from nokia and my trusty n82 is gettting ready for retirement!

aidan

Old 02-03-2010, 03:41 PM

clonmult is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
@rafe
"However there's defintely some high end stuff on the way."

when do you think this will come? i'm holding out for high cameraphone stuff from nokia and my trusty n82 is gettting ready for retirement!

aidan
The only way you'll get any real world improvement over the N82 is if Nokia put in larger optics/sensor, optical zoom (with folding optics) and both Xenon flash and LED for video work.

If they follow the herd and just go for more pixels, whilst keeping a weak LED lighting unit, all you'll have is a marginally better camera in good lighting and something that is considerably worse indoors.

Old 02-03-2010, 03:56 PM
Unregistered

"If they follow the herd and just go for more pixels, whilst keeping a weak LED lighting unit, all you'll have is a marginally better camera in good lighting and something that is considerably worse indoors."

true, but if nokia do something like a satio, xenon and led, then there's some hope. a nokia x6 type style phone with both kinds of flashes and a lens cover and 8mp would be a good start. can't be too hard, eh?

aidan

Old 02-03-2010, 04:20 PM

adi_pie is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by limestone View Post
I see people leaving Nokia and heading to Android based platforms like the HTC Desire, Legend and Nexus One in droves.
Yep, I'm one of them and even though I don't regret using Android, I'm currently waiting for either Nokia to make a Symbian^3 phone with a good camera or Apple something with a good camera and multitasking (<- ) so I can switch again.
Quote:
just pack up and move on to a high-end platform that has the support of a major *software* company behind it and don't look back ... you won't be alone
You won't be alone, but you might not like where you've ended up.
Edit: In what way is Google a much bigger software company than Nokia? Off the top of my head the only thing Google has and Nokia does not, is a search engine.
Edit2: I was wrong, see below.

Last edited by adi_pie; 03-03-2010 at 12:48 AM.

Old 02-03-2010, 04:48 PM

moonshot is on a distinguished road
It's not new, it's the 5630 music xpress but without the music features, and is dressed up to look like the 6700.

Nokia are hoping that the 6700 users won't notice that they have then bought into a more complicated handset.

It has almost all the features of the N97 without the price tag.

Old 02-03-2010, 05:40 PM

Mnia786 is on a distinguished road
Seems to be Nokias plan of replacing Series 40 with S60...
Very good buy for about 100 quid as its got most of the core features as many N-Series and E-Series handsets.

Old 02-03-2010, 06:16 PM

germcevoy is on a distinguished road
Looked at for what it is then this is a stunner. Looks brilliant and at a very fair price. Why all the bullshit talk about Android and high end stuff in the comments?

Old 02-03-2010, 06:32 PM

buster is on a distinguished road
Quote:
@buster ... really? android and apple are flat? implying they are peaking or what? what is it you are trying to say with that comment?

and my comment was more aimed towards the blatantly obnoxious fanboy (sorry developer) who lambasted limestone for even implying the obvious truth about nokia high end devices ... that is the sort of fanboyism that makes it pointless to share reasoned arguments
The sales figures for Q4 2009 showed that Android still had a small market share and the iPhone sales had not increased compared to Q4 2008. That's what I was referring to.

While you have a point about fanboyism (is that a real word?), when you make sweeping generalisations like "don't waste your breath on reasoned arguments or comments ... here be nokia fanboys and apologists who can see nothing wrong with anything nokia do no matter how egregious" then people are entitled to be less than impressed.

Anyway, I just hope Nokia sort themselves out and start developing high-end phones which actually work; that said, the C5 does look like a mighty impressive phone, especially when considering the price.

Old 02-03-2010, 10:24 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_pie View Post
Edit: In what way is Google a much bigger software company than Nokia? Off the top of my head the only thing Google has and Nokia does not, is a search engine.
Really?

How about Google Docs? Youtube, SketchUp, translate, ads, Chrome as a cross platform desktop browser (OK it's webkit) and a good deal of the internet infrastructure.

This is why I avoid anything Google related. Android phones are a bit dull and have been something of a disappointment to me. Nokia make some really good telephony handsets with mediocre smart features plus some real gems like Ovi Maps. Apple make an excellent web phone which is also a brilliant app platform, with really poor telephony features.

Old 02-03-2010, 11:41 PM
fakefur

@buster ... yes ok my bad ... it was a sweeping generalization ... i don't have a high tolerance of fanboys on web forums which means i probably shouldn't get involved in discussions BUT i thought i had a valid point or two to make so i did

i also think the c5 (apart from the sinclair c5 image it pulls into my head) looks good and for the price great .. if it had wifi i would probably buy one as my spare (after i sell my N86)

Old 03-03-2010, 12:37 AM

adi_pie is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Really?

How about Google Docs? Youtube, SketchUp, translate, ads, Chrome as a cross platform desktop browser (OK it's webkit) and a good deal of the internet infrastructure.
Google Docs can be easily supplanted by Ovi Files, the only difference being you can edit documents online in Google Docs whereas through Ovi Files you have download them and then edit on the device.
Never heard of SketchUp. Chrome doesn't count since I was speaking from a mobile point-of-view.
I will admit I made a mistake not factoring Youtube in, but whenever I think of Youtube I think of a site and not software (that's illogical I know sorry).
About Google Translate, I'll admit I was wrong about that too, though I doubt that is a pinnacle of Google SW engineering.

Quote:

This is why I avoid anything Google related. Android phones are a bit dull and have been something of a disappointment to me. Nokia make some really good telephony handsets with mediocre smart features plus some real gems like Ovi Maps. Apple make an excellent web phone which is also a brilliant app platform, with really poor telephony features.
With this I agree.
After my experience with it, I feel like there's something missing that puts me off Android, like walking over a bridge that has parts of its foundation still under construction.

Last edited by adi_pie; 03-03-2010 at 12:41 AM.

Old 03-03-2010, 01:25 AM

Kazutoyo is on a distinguished road
I really like this device, the only weak point I can think of is that there's only 50MB of internal storage.

I find it a bit annoying that S60 devices from 2007 have more internal storage than the S60 devices Nokia release now.
Ads